ADVERTISEMENT

Arland Bruce has arrived & is practicing w/ Brody Brecht at Ankeny. FINALLY, ON OCTOBER 1, Ruled ELIGIBLE to Play.

Bald - I don’t know that and not who I am commenting on. I think a simple search of articles in the papers (hint Valley QB and Dowling lineman) may help. If you can distinguish those and other cases great would love to know.

Reactions: Jedhawk77
what are the current salaries of these people and how do they get voted out?

The Board of Control? I don't think they get paid anything from the IAHSAA. They are school superintendents from around Iowa. Pretty easy to look up.

Bald - I don’t know that and not who I am commenting on. I think a simple search of articles in the papers (hint Valley QB and Dowling lineman) may help. If you can distinguish those and other cases great would love to know.

Great question! I was referring to the question of someone asking why the former teammate was eligible and Bruce was not. The problem is that most of the stories nobody actually knows all of the facts that were submitted to the state. Just because it was in an article doesn't mean thats what ended up happening and that the family didn't have to figure out a way to meet the rules. It all stinks no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: WSC72
Bald - totally agree and I surely don’t want any kids ineligible especially with all that is going on. Was simply stating on info we do know and the Association’s moving target it seems Arland has been treated very different. But you are right. Unfortunately they don’t tell us their reasoning and how they make decisions. All good buddy.

Bald - totally agree and I surely don’t want any kids ineligible especially with all that is going on. Was simply stating on info we do know and the Association’s moving target it seems Arland has been treated very different. But you are right. Unfortunately they don’t tell us their reasoning and how they make decisions. All good buddy.

Is Arland (or Arlund, as you have called him) the only one to be told they would not be or are not eligible to play?

Is Arland (or Arlund, as you have called him) the only one to be told they would not be or are not eligible to play?
By the association I believe he is, could be wrong though. Others were told by their respective schools they wouldn’t be eligible though.

By the association I believe he is, could be wrong though. Others were told by their respective schools they wouldn’t be eligible though.
Right. Which is what I've been saying. The school does the initial research and decides eligibility. They then submit the information to IAHSAA for review. I'm having a hard time believing Ankeny knew all this information and decided he was eligible. Maybe. But as you said, there were others who were denied by IAHSAA, and likely even more who were told by the school district and the public never even knew about.

This entire case is moronic af. If players can transfer in state and be eligible (or switch schools in a metro area - happens all the time in Omaha) why can’t they enter from out of state and play as long as they are enrolled at a school and academically eligible? There are powerhouses at every level of football - college, pro, but God forbid a team gets too good for one year in Iowa high school football.

Cant believe there are people actually paid to moderate this BS

Off the top of my head (no comments please) I would guess that it is the fact that Bruce and his mom are living "in another part of the house" as is quoted and not in a separate apt. and are paying only $100. I can't figure out any other reason. You'd think that the younger brothers being now under the wardship of their uncle would be okay, and the fact that their mom goes down to see them, well, think what people would say if she DIDN'T.

Off the top of my head (no comments please) I would guess that it is the fact that Bruce and his mom are living "in another part of the house" as is quoted and not in a separate apt. and are paying only $100. I can't figure out any other reason. You'd think that the younger brothers being now under the wardship of their uncle would be okay, and the fact that their mom goes down to see them, well, think what people would say if she DIDN'T.

I wonder if the IHSAA will start assessing home values next now that they have rental prices established.

Right. Which is what I've been saying. The school does the initial research and decides eligibility. They then submit the information to IAHSAA for review. I'm having a hard time believing Ankeny knew all this information and decided he was eligible. Maybe. But as you said, there were others who were denied by IAHSAA, and likely even more who were told by the school district and the public never even knew about.
I’m not sure any others have been declared ineligible by the IHSAA, by the school yes.

I’m not sure any others have been declared ineligible by the IHSAA, by the school yes.
Is that true? If so, that's interesting. Curious how you might know this? It's really the school's responsibility to do their own research and due diligence. Like I said, I wonder what the district knew, if they passed it along for review thinking it would be ok, or if maybe they told the family the kid would not qualify for an exemption and the family decided to challenge it.

Hawkness - just so you know the answer to the latter part of your question is “no.” The school and the Bruce family were shocked by the initial ineligibility ruling. The school and Bruce family were also aware of similarly situated kids who were granted eligibility. They never dreamt of having to get lawyers involved in this whole ordeal.

Is that true? If so, that's interesting. Curious how you might know this? It's really the school's responsibility to do their own research and due diligence. Like I said, I wonder what the district knew, if they passed it along for review thinking it would be ok, or if maybe they told the family the kid would not qualify for an exemption and the family decided to challenge it.
I don’t know for sure, but haven’t heard of any others ruled ineligible by the IHSAA.

I don’t know for sure, but haven’t heard of any others ruled ineligible by the IHSAA.
Gotcha. I'm aware of two other ineligible players at different schools, but I'm not sure whether they were ruled on by their school or the IAHSAA. There were also players who simply went home right away after being told, presumably by the school, they would have to sit the requisite 90 days.

Too bad for the kid but honestly, if he's going to spend the next for years in that state and football program he just better get used to lame ass rules and unequal/unfair enforcement of those rules. I used to exclude Iowa City when pointing out how bad the state of Iowa sucks. It's getting impossible to do anymore. The state is a complete embarrassment these days

Too bad for the kid but honestly, if he's going to spend the next for years in that state and football program he just better get used to lame ass rules and unequal/unfair enforcement of those rules. I used to exclude Iowa City when pointing out how bad the state of Iowa sucks. It's getting impossible to do anymore. The state is a complete embarrassment these days
Why do you hang around if the State of Iowa "Sucks" so badly? I don't know what you are referring too with that statement.
I do agree that this ruling seems ridiculous.

Reactions: MACE

You really need to get over yourself.

Reactions: WSC72
Triangle - honest answer. “No.” I will get it figured out or have one of my kids show me. Sorry. I missed the on ramp for the technological highway.

Triangle - honest answer. “No.” I will get it figured out or have one of my kids show me. Sorry. I missed the on ramp for the technological highway.

It should be in the bottom right corner of your screen. Are you using your phone or a computer?

Is it worth it? Good question. We believe the answer is yes for 2 reasons. First, the Bruce family played by their moving target rules and in our opinion is getting screwed. Second, maybe force the Association to not only actually answer tough questions but also get their only rules in order so down the road other families don’t rely on what is written only to get f’d after the fact.

He's practicing with the team. It is his Senior season. Even if he is declared eligible right before the playoffs, why give up?

I’m not saying he should give up. He should keep practicing. My fear for him is they’re just gonna keep stringing things along and dragging it out until Ankeny is done

Was the injunction denied from Thursday? Or has there been a ruling? Sorry if I missed it?

I’m not saying he should give up. He should keep practicing. My fear for him is they’re just gonna keep stringing things along and dragging it out until Ankeny is done

That is also our fear. But I will say it is clear the 2 reasons given for Arland (dual residences and not moving the whole family at once) did not apparently apply to other kids that are eligible. And those requirements were not even spelled it in the rules from the get go let alone applied equally.

Was the injunction denied from Thursday? Or has there been a ruling? Sorry if I missed it?

Zoe - it was denied which is not surprising as there is the whole admin process. Quite frankly, without saying too much, part of the injunctions was to light a fire to get faster consideration in the admin appeal process.

Zoe - it was denied which is not surprising as there is the whole admin process. Quite frankly, without saying too much, part of the injunctions was to light a fire to get faster consideration in the admin appeal process.

It’s a shame they won’t let a high school kid play football even though he is a full time student in the district. What will their ruling be when a foreign exchange student decides to play football? No, no, no, you don’t have a home and the rest of your family in the district so you can’t play. What a travesty.

It’s a shame they won’t let a high school kid play football even though he is a full time student in the district. What will their ruling be when a foreign exchange student decides to play football? No, no, no, you don’t have a home and the rest of your family in the district so you can’t play. What a travesty.

If a foreign exchange student enrolls in an Iowa high school for athletic purposes they are rightly not eligible to play right away.

Lol. He CAN play. He just has to sit out 90 days like all other transfers. Bruce family is asking for an exemption from the rule. The IAHSAA is saying he doesn't qualify.

I wonder if part of the reason they are continuing this is because lawyers are getting paid?

I totally agree. I was sent a clip Keith Murphy did on sound off and he is right. I am good friends with a family who’s son is transferring from Roosevelt to Dowling. They moved to WDM but still have the house in DM. While they may stay out west I would guarantee many out of state transfers will be back to their home state in their old house that hasn’t been sold right after the season. At least the Bruce family will be here until Arland is done at Iowa (in 4-5 years).

ADVERTISEMENT