Murin - C I’m expecting more from a Sr and want some NF points
Siebrecht - B- good win but a bit sloppy
PK- B need some NF points
Martinson- D he did not get pinned
Abe B- Improved but need to finish cleaner and need some NF points
Wardog B+ Looking hungry need NF points
Big Cass- A with a quick pin
Tough love- I like

Harris and Martinson...I'll just say I rolled my eyes hard af. It's the way they lost. Patrick Kennedy wrestled pretty good but I know he can do even better.

125: F sorry feel for the kid but he’s all we got for now so I will still cheer hard for him.
133: C- thought Teske showed us more on Sunday.
141: C- fought hard and almost came back and won. Really looking forward to see Woods hopefully soon!
149: Solid B good match left some point out there but still a solid win. I like his chances of being an AA
157: B- he is going to be fun to watch for sure. High risk high reward type stuff all year. Might actually qualify and maybe win a couple of matches
165: A- ok he didn’t get NF so what he is learning how to be the guy. His offensive arsenal is a lot better than the Bull. Not as strong or maybe does not have his hips but love this kid. He will get better each time out. Lookout 165 here come PK!
174: F sorry another overmatched kid but come on man stall calls and zero offense or even attempts. Thought Rhodes deserved a shot here
184: B- yea he needs to clean some stuff up definitely more aggressive and I like it.
197: A this version of Jwar is scary! Once again no NF but man is he getting after it. Love it
Hwt: A++ Get him on the opposite side of Parris please! He wins it if he is. For whatever reason he struggles with Parris.
In conclusion we always peak early and kinda fade at the end maybe it’s a good thing they are not firing on all cylinders just yet.

So, for a guy that has no idea what goes on in the wrestling room, can someone give me a hypothetical on 125/133 with Ybarra...he knows SL won't wrestle a full schedule, he's not beating Cullan/Brody at 133. If he's not injured, why in hell wouldn't he prepare to be the backup at 125? He certainly didn't look big at 125 last season.
Talk about a disappointing career.
Maybe academics?

Last edited:
Harris -F the Army kid is legit but damn
Schreiver-D+ he worked ok on top.
Bennett D he didn’t get pinned and almost came back the win
Without watching the action I'll throw out a few thoughts.

Murin 6 TDs. PK 10 TDs. Warner 9 TDs. And we're giving them B's and C's because they didn't score NF points. HOLY CRAP!!! I mean we have to expect absolute perfection so anything less than 10 pins should be a D/F grade.

On the same subject I use an old Hayden Fry quote; Scratch where it itches. If a guy is either A, letting you take him down at will or B, turtling to avoid a pin, just take what he's giving you. In these cases, it was TD after TD. I recall last year seeing bull take guys down and then waste time every match trying to get a big turn that just wasn't there. So you end up with a 5-2 win with 4 minutes of RT and no NF and no bonus. Is that better because he was working for a turn?

My thought is in many cases racking up TDs at that pace will lead to a feet to back situation or a guy who is exhausted and gives up NF/Fall in the end. However, I'll take a guy working to build and build the lead, especially Murin and Warner who have struggled to do that over their careers.

Harris - E for effort. Obviously he is overmatched out there
CS - F. That was not an All-American effort
Bennett - D. He's a backup. He has some funk but solid holds and strength will take that away
Murin - B+. Two matches in a row with 6 TDs. I like the activity. I too, would like NF but that was another very good effort.
Cobe - B+. Pitched a shut out against what might be Army's best wrestler.
PK - A-. TD machine. Get that TF next time
CMart - E for effort. Thrown to the wolves.
Abe - B-. Finish shots clean, get to your ride, score points. Nothing comes easy for Abe, feels like he's always working hard to finish and wasting time. Kind of like Warner at times in his career.
Warner - A-. Another impressive match but get the TF. He looks like a guy on a mission. Work like this against ISU and I want to see this work rate and pace against ISU!
Cass - A. TD, turn, PinFall. Rinse and repeat.

Without watching the action I'll throw out a few thoughts.

Murin 6 TDs. PK 10 TDs. Warner 9 TDs. And we're giving them B's and C's because they didn't score NF points. HOLY CRAP!!! I mean we have to expect absolute perfection so anything less than 10 pins should be a D/F grade.

On the same subject I use an old Hayden Fry quote; Scratch where it itches. If a guy is either A, letting you take him down at will or B, turtling to avoid a pin, just take what he's giving you. In these cases, it was TD after TD. I recall last year seeing bull take guys down and then waste time every match trying to get a big turn that just wasn't there. So you end up with a 5-2 win with 4 minutes of RT and no NF and no bonus. Is that better because he was working for a turn?

My thought is in many cases racking up TDs at that pace will lead to a feet to back situation or a guy who is exhausted and gives up NF/Fall in the end. However, I'll take a guy working to build and build the lead, especially Murin and Warner who have struggled to do that over their careers.

Harris - E for effort. Obviously he is overmatched out there
CS - F. That was not an All-American effort
Bennett - D. He's a backup. He has some funk but solid holds and strength will take that away
Murin - B+. Two matches in a row with 6 TDs. I like the activity. I too, would like NF but that was another very good effort.
Cobe - B+. Pitched a shut out against what might be Army's best wrestler.
PK - A-. TD machine. Get that TF next time
CMart - E for effort. Thrown to the wolves.
Abe - B-. Finish shots clean, get to your ride, score points. Nothing comes easy for Abe, feels like he's always working hard to finish and wasting time. Kind of like Warner at times in his career.
Warner - A-. Another impressive match but get the TF. He looks like a guy on a mission. Work like this against ISU and I want to see this work rate and pace against ISU!
Cass - A. TD, turn, PinFall. Rinse and repeat.
I’m giving some tuff grades first because I didn’t see an attempt at NF points from those guys, second, to be the best team and taking out PSU we need bonus points and NF are worth 4 which adds up much quicker then 2-1 2-1 2-1. They are in A HAWK uniform, get the tech or pin and get an A, get pinned you get an F I don’t give participation trophies.

Last edited:
I will say at times Bull took heat for spending too much time trying to turn guys and not getting points scored.
Yes he did and sometimes he did. I still think there is more opportunities for our starters to push the pace and go for a turn or two when they get guys in deep waters. Warner and Kennedy’s matches yesterday are good examples of this.

for me, the thing to watch going forward is PK's ability to deal with scrambling. he's far more offensively diverse than Bull, but doesn't blow through guys and finish cleanly like him. he'll have to negotiate some tough finishes against very high level scramblers to finish high at this weight. it got easier for him as he wore the guy down last night - and maybe that's part of his solution going forward - but he got hung up in those backdoor positions a few times when he didn't get to the corner.

still not sold on sure fire AA, but it's mostly because of the weight not him. he's fantastic. just a lot of guys who can give him some match up problems - o'toole, griffith, hamiti, hall, and carr are all great scramblers and will have some length on him. like him much better against kharchla and amine.

My advice… Stop expecting more from mid level recruits even if seniors.

Would you mind elaborating on this, not sure why you would give such terrible advice.
We tend to have unrealistic expectations of development for mid level guys, imo.

Terrible advice would be recommending a team be built around mid level guys with expectations of improvement, result wise, over the trajectory of their careers.

Reactions: natchrlman
We tend to have unrealistic expectations of development for mid level guys, imo.

Terrible advice would be recommending a team be built around mid level guys with expectations of improvement, result wise, over the trajectory of their careers.
They were wrestling mid level or lower guys and the basis was more about our starters like Warner Abe and Kennedy that were fairly high level recruits. Murin is a Sr that has started for 3 years now, Im going to be tough on anyone in his position that has not AAed. At the end of the day it’s wrestling in IOWA not kansas!

Reactions: el dub
Warner looked outstanding. I think your B+ is a bit harsh here. Happy to see him having some confidence in his offense. Pretty good with all of your others.

Warner looked outstanding. I think your B+ is a bit harsh here. Happy to see him having some confidence in his offense. Pretty good with all of your others.
He did and I disagree. If you read my comments you would see I was one of the first to recognize this, if he got the tech he would have received an A with or without NF points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT