ADVERTISEMENT

Around the Horn in College Football

Mike Zierath

Family, football and fishing.....
Jun 3, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Its a great time of year, and that's probably an understatement. College Football, NFL Football and Baseball playoffs starting in 10 days or so.

I tend to over watch College ball beginning on Thursday nights......I'm in Heaven! Just a couple observations for discussion.

1. Nice win for the Hawks. Lot of backups got an opportunity to play. We all got our first look at Mitchell and he performed decently. Not sure he lives up to his internet legend as the third string RB, actually looked a little slower than I expected. That said, he did well with the exception of that ill advised pitch on the reverse. The rest of the game? Iowa went to sleep a little late in the second and the beginning of the second half for a little bit. Allowed too many easy yards for UNT. Concerning. I know it wasn't a big game opponent, but, you can't do that.

2. Leonard Fournette still looks like the leading candidate for the Heisman right now. Nick Chubb from GA looks good to! There are some very good other candidates as well, but those two stick out right now.

3. Michigan dismantling BYU had to open some eyes. The UM Defense is stout!! That might be an understatement. There offense, lead by someone we all know very well, isn't terrible. Jim Harbaugh is leading a talented team. Can they keep it up? Hard to think they will, but that might be recent history getting in the way of actually judgement, however, I have watched three of their games and I see some very good things. The sledding gets tougher beginning this week.

4. UCLA is a talented bunch.

5. Watching the game Saturday night here in Dallas was awesome. Arkansas blowing that lead and losing.....well, I think it was about as good a dose of medicine that any one head coach could get. I realize a l of folks here want him, but I never really have. After the last couple weeks and the coaching exchanges that are well documented, I really never want to see him roaming our sidelines. A 4XL Tiger Hawk pullover is hard to find.

6. Rankings: TCU should have dropped further.....Baylor can still score a lot of points.....Notre Dame, as much as it pains me to say it, looks good.....Utah getting a vote for #1? I question whether they are a legitimate top 10, and I have to lean heavily towards no, but, they are good.....WV should be ranked higher.

Just some observations

Mike

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.