ADVERTISEMENT

Around the Horn in College Football

Mike Zierath

Family, football and fishing.....
Jun 3, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Just some observations after the sixth week of the season:

I was terribly wrong about Georgia when I said I thought this Bulldog team might really be a contender this year instead of the pretender they have generally been. Too bad Dawg fans.

TCU, might be the luckiest team out there. No defense, incredible offense, still manage to win. Shocked they didn't drop to #4.

Speaking of dropping..........not surprised MSU dropped again, even after winning. There really is a chink in their armor and I feel pretty good about saying Michigan will find a way to reclaim their state this weekend.

Let's talk about Michigan. They just made Northwestern look very pedestrian!! Michigans D did a heck of a job! Holding the Wildcats to just 38 rushing yards and limiting the passing yards as well. Pretty much just took them out of the game. Controlled the clock. Michigan ran the ball 46 times, which is just three more times than JC this past weekend. Hope the Hawks were watching. Control the clock!

Utah: Still not convinced. Time will tell. Still a tough slate for them.

Pac-12: the situation at USC got worse today. Not surprising, considering the accusations and what has been coming out of that camp. Hopefully, Sark gets help and USC continues to play the way they've been playing.

Talk about playing the way they've been playing: Nebraska makes me smile. They are so close to being good, it ain't funny. They tend to just quit thinking when they shouldn't. Makes me smh, but I can't feel bad for them!

Oh, staying in conference, I was definitely wrong about Indiana taking down PSU too......Damn good thing I quitting betting years ago!

Minnesota dropping 41 on Purdue kind of surprised me.

6 teams getting votes as the #1 team this week. I don't recall the last time I've seen that. Lots of uncertainty.

Listening to Mark Packard this week after he attended the mock final four pick here in Grapevine, TX gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about the process and how those four teams are chosen. It's definitely a process and those that are associated with a team in question are recused from that portion of the process. Was a very entertaining program!

Baylor is entertaining from an offensive standpoint. I think they will be there at the end.

Oh, last thing..........Hawks moving up five spots mean they just have to continue playing that much harder. I'm not in the injury boat, but at some point, and we all know it, depth becomes an issue with this team. Tom's article this week opened some eyes, I'm sure. It opened mine. 5 of the top 10 guys, pre-season, are out. The bye week can't get here soon enough. We need to get some guys healthy. Northwestern has been a sore spot since Fitz got there. I don't like them. The "That's alright, That's Okay, we're gonna be your boss someday!" chant gets as old as the "Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa" chant.

Ok, one more last thing: Definitely nice to see the likes of Toledo, Houston, Duke, Memphis and even Utah in the rankings. I think that must be a first!

Mike

P.S. Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.