ADVERTISEMENT

Article on old Wisconsin coach Gary Anderson (Iowa mention)

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
If you have an Athletic subscription, this is a good read. The article highlights how Gary Anderson is “a strange cat”. He’s very principled, as highlighted by the fact that he hasn’t accepted any of his buyout money, turning down millions, and multiple times voluntarily going to lower profile jobs because he thought he’d be happier there.

In terms of the Iowa mention, the article points out how Alvarez was upset Anderson didn’t even recruit Nate Stanley and how he went on to have success at Iowa. Anderson wanted dual-threat QBs instead.

I wish Anderson would have stayed at Wisconsin longer because he just wasn’t a fit there and I don’t think his style was going to be successful. There are some quotes from Alvarez saying he was relieved when Anderson left because they style wasn’t a fit. In addition to wanting to move to more dual-threat QBs, he didn’t have much interest in recruiting Wisconsin and wanted to recruit the west coast and junior college players in particular. And a bunch of the kids he wanted couldn’t get in academically.

All that is true, and he is also the reason Wisconsin has been as good as they’ve been. He brought the 3-4 defense they play to Madison. Their defense has been great ever since.

Dave Aranda came with Andersen to Madison. He was the 3-4 mastermind and had great success @ Utah St. with it prior....turn the page and now Aranda is the head guy @ Baylor after 3 seasons in Madison and 4 in Baton Rouge.

Reactions: David1979
If you have an Athletic subscription, this is a good read. The article highlights how Gary Anderson is “a strange cat”. He’s very principled, as highlighted by the fact that he hasn’t accepted any of his buyout money, turning down millions, and multiple times voluntarily going to lower profile jobs because he thought he’d be happier there.

In terms of the Iowa mention, the article points out how Alvarez was upset Anderson didn’t even recruit Nate Stanley and how he went on to have success at Iowa. Anderson wanted dual-threat QBs instead.

I wish Anderson would have stayed at Wisconsin longer because he just wasn’t a fit there and I don’t think his style was going to be successful. There are some quotes from Alvarez saying he was relieved when Anderson left because they style wasn’t a fit. In addition to wanting to move to more dual-threat QBs, he didn’t have much interest in recruiting Wisconsin and wanted to recruit the west coast and junior college players in particular. And a bunch of the kids he wanted couldn’t get in academically.

This guy set back Oregon State years. Not that OSU was necessarily good, but they really wanted to be. Anderson was a HUGE FAILURE hire. He was the replacement for Mike Riley, went 7-23, and QUIT MID SEASON.

Smith now has them on the right track at 4-2. F*ck Gary Anderson.

Alvarez wanted him to recruit Stanley but he wanted a dual threat QB. Stanley wanted to play for the Badgers. Went on to mention Stanley's career stats and success at Iowa.

Oh, was hoping it was something more like going with Anderson made Barry wish he’d poached KOK instead.

• Haha
Reactions: CarterHall
This guy set back Oregon State years. Not that OSU was necessarily good, but they really wanted to be. Anderson was a HUGE FAILURE hire. He was the replacement for Mike Riley, went 7-23, and QUIT MID SEASON.

Smith now has them on the right track at 4-2. F*ck Gary Anderson.
Yeah after I posted this thread I went and read the comments below the Twitter post. There are a bunch of comments from Oregon State fans that are not exactly complimentary, including a number of accusations that Anderson knew some of his assistant coaches were into shady things (like drugs and evidently having sex with cheerleaders as well).

It adds a new light to some of the quotes in the article. For instance, there are the text messages towards the end from Anderson to the newspaper reporter that he realized he hired some of the wrong guys to be on his staff but rather than fire them and try to clean it up he just went and quit himself, which is kind of taking the easy way out. He then went to Utah State and almost had it turned around again (his QB Jordan Love was a first round draft pick) but then the COVID year was a disaster and he was fired. He’s semi-retired now just volunteering part time.

Yeah after I posted this thread I went and read the comments below the Twitter post. There are a bunch of comments from Oregon State fans that are not exactly complimentary, including a number of accusations that Anderson knew some of his assistant coaches were into shady things (like drugs and evidently having sex with cheerleaders as well).

It adds a new light to some of the quotes in the article. For instance, there are the text messages towards the end from Anderson to the newspaper reporter that he realized he hired some of the wrong guys to be on his staff but rather than fire them and try to clean it up he just went and quit himself, which is kind of taking the easy way out. He then went to Utah State and almost had it turned around again (his QB Jordan Love was a first round draft pick) but then the COVID year was a disaster and he was fired. He’s semi-retired now just volunteering part time.

Oregon State fans, for the most part, are as casual as they come. They’re basically the Purdue of the PAC. And they hated what this guy did to their program, you could literally buy tickets for $6 on stub hub the day before any game bc people stopped going.

The intirim that replaced Anderson had the team moving forward and gained momentum, but it was clear the AD was going to clean house at season end. Smith has been a big improvement and I think they’re one year away from competing for a PAC North division title.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT