ADVERTISEMENT

Arujau going 125

Feb 28, 2021
It's official. Turns out he was already at 125 for the Stanford dual, but wrestled up a weight due to an injury to the 133 guy Lajoie. Up a weight class, he beat DeSario 14-3, after DeSario lost to fix 7-3 the week before (so he easily majored a guy who only got decisioned by Fix, and at a weight class above his own). He didn't wrestle CKLV because the rules wouldn't have allowed a descent in time for the National Duals.

And if there are any Arujau/Cornell haters here (maybe you all just hate me :), nothing but respect:

“In a way, if I went 133 this year, I’d almost feel like I was running away from 125,” he said. “The ultimate obstacle is Spencer [Lee]. He’s a phenomenal wrestler with an amazing understanding of the sport. I had the pleasure of stepping on the mat with him [in freestyle, a win for Lee]. People see him as a god. For the past three years, he’s been the best at the weight. I had two years off from college wrestling and I think a lot of college wrestling fans have forgotten about me. I look forward to reminding them. I want to wrestle Spencer in the finals. I want to make it my weight.”

@Grip220 in shambles lol. just busting your chops. your prediction made sense at the time.

in all seriousness, this seemed obvious once we got a look at greg d. the vito to 133 thing made sense for their lineup on the assumption greg was actually good. it never made sense for vito. he doesn’t cut much to make 125 and it’s where he wrestles internationally. once we saw greg d wasn’t any better than lajoie, you just let vito pick whichever weight he wants. good on him for taking on the challenge. you can tell he has a lot of respect for spencer.

It's official. Turns out he was already at 125 for the Stanford dual, but wrestled up a weight due to an injury to the 133 guy Lajoie. Up a weight class, he beat DeSario 14-3, after DeSario lost to fix 7-3 the week before (so he easily majored a guy who only got decisioned by Fix, and at a weight class above his own). He didn't wrestle CKLV because the rules wouldn't have allowed a descent in time for the National Duals.

And if there are any Arujau/Cornell haters here (maybe you all just hate me :), nothing but respect:
Good to see. Would love to see Spencer knock off Suriano in the B1G finals, and then Glory/Arujau in the semi's/finals at NCAA's so that he can hit all 3 of them for his last season.

Good to see. Would love to see Spencer knock off Suriano in the B1G finals, and then Glory/Arujau in the semi's/finals at NCAA's so that he can hit all 3 of them for his last season.
If Spencer Lee had 2 good knees you would have just named 3 guys who "just couldn't hold the weight". (granted, the NCAA podium holds 8 guys, so somebody has to fill those spots)

They smell blood in the water, it's up to Spencer Lee to make them pay for that decision. We'll see how it goes in due time.

If Spencer Lee had 2 good knees you would have just named 3 guys who "just couldn't hold the weight". (granted, the NCAA podium holds 8 guys, so somebody has to fill those spots)

They smell blood in the water, it's up to Spencer Lee to make them pay for that decision. We'll see how it goes in due time.
suriano maybe, but vito hasn’t shied away from spencer in the past. he moved down to 125 when spencer was the returning champ in 2019. i think the only reason he was even considering 133 is because cornell thought they could challenge for a trophy, but now that that doesn’t look realistic, he can do what he wants.

I can't speak for Suriano or Glory, but Arujau has never ducked or avoided anyone. That's not a thing at Cornell (ref Dake moving up to face Taylor).

suriano maybe, but vito hasn’t shied away from spencer in the past. he moved down to 125 when spencer was the returning champ in 2019. i think the only reason he was even considering 133 is because cornell thought they could challenge for a trophy, but now that that doesn’t look realistic, he can do what he wants.
I was being a bit facetious, except in Suriano's case.......... Regardless, they should wrestle where they are comfortable. Suriano can't be too comfortable wrestling at 125 IMO.

Vito sounds like a good kid. But he wrestles for Cornell, so he may never get the opportunity to wrestle Spencer Lee in a Folkstyle match. They both win enough I guess it will happen at some point. We shall see.

Reactions: pml_dad
Chaz Tucker factored into that move as well.

TBH, I 100% believe that about Suriano (especially since he went up the year after losing because "the cut was no longer possible" then NS wrestles 125.5 lbs internationally, then NS & everyone else finds out Spencer was/is hurt and all of a sudden the cut is ok now) and any other new 125lb additions I'm inclined to think the same way. Only not about Vito, he's always gone for it and never shied away, granted he's wrong in thinking he has a chance at winning but I respect him for trying. For those that didn't know Vito's father has almost an identical international resume to Terry Brands. 2 x world champ & Olympic Bronze medalist Vugar Orudjiev from the USSR/RUS.
NM do u go by klehner elsewhere amigo? ;)

EDIT: Woops, I already posted that under my other screen name, js8793 ;)

Reactions: el dub
I can't speak for Suriano or Glory, but Arujau has never ducked or avoided anyone. That's not a thing at Cornell (ref Dake moving up to face Taylor).
Dake moving up to face Taylor was one of, if not the, ballsiest moves I've ever seen in college wrestling. Imagine the confidence one must have to move up in weight so you can take on the returning Hodge Trophy winner. That was a match for the ages.

Hmm, I forgot about Suriano. Ok so glory may be the 4 seed. I have to think about this a bit more.
Vito and Glory should Wrestle twice before NCAA’s. A dual on Feb. 5 and the EIWA tournament.

Although doubtful, we may see Lee and Glory at Midlands? It will be interesting to see who Michigan sends to the Midlands.
125 at Midlands could be a pretty decent bracket.

In what way?
They don’t need to go through a tuff mid season tournament.
It’s like taking a page out of Cornell’s book, wrestle enough to be ready for the end. They only need to beat the best guys once to get to the top of the podium.

In the big10 it’s different you need to be ready and as healthy as possible for that Conf tournament. To win that title or to make it through is completely different than qualifying or winning the EIWA.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
They don’t need to go through a tuff mid season tournament.
It’s like taking a page out of Cornell’s book, wrestle enough to be ready for the end. They only need to beat the best guys once to get to the top of the podium.

In the big10 it’s different you need to be ready and as healthy as possible for that Conf tournament. To win that title or to make it through is completely different than qualifying or winning the EIWA.
Yeah, I’m not sure Midlands qualifies as a tough tournament this year, and Princeton’s top guys (Glory, Monday) would only stand to gain from going. Glory’s best shot at a #1 seed at NCAAs is to beat Lee before then, and this would be his last opportunity to do so (though I doubt the match would happen, if Lee even goes). Monday can only improve or maintain a projected NCAA seed by facing Deakin before then, and likewise, Midlands would be his only opportunity to do so.

For both guys, taking an L in those matchups cannot hurt them, and a W would be huge. Strategically, they should go. In fact, if Glory shows up, and Lee sits (or doesn’t even go), it can only help Glory in any sort of debate about who has earned #1 seed at NCAAs (assuming both are undefeated, and Lee has barely wrestled).

Yeah, I’m not sure Midlands qualifies as a tough tournament this year, and Princeton’s top guys (Glory, Monday) would only stand to gain from going. Glory’s best shot at a #1 seed at NCAAs is to beat Lee before then, and this would be his last opportunity to do so (though I doubt the match would happen, if Lee even goes). Monday can only improve or maintain a projected NCAA seed by facing Deakin before then, and likewise, Midlands would be his only opportunity to do so.

For both guys, taking an L in those matchups cannot hurt them, and a W would be huge. Strategically, they should go. In fact, if Glory shows up, and Lee sits (or doesn’t even go), it can only help Glory in any sort of debate about who has earned #1 seed at NCAAs (assuming both are undefeated, and Lee has barely wrestled).
When the Defending National Champion with all of it's Wrestler's returning is in the Tournament, it's officially a "tough Tournament".

When the Defending National Champion with all of it's Wrestler's returning is in the Tournament, it's officially a "tough Tournament".
Like the Luther Open?

Besides, it remains to be seen how many of those wrestlers will actually wrestle in the tournament.

Midlands is always a tough tournament, then you add a few guys like Hall mixed in and it could be very tough.
Seeds are not all they take into consideration, the actual match ups are also considered everything is measured and calculated.

• Haha
If everyone is healthy enough to compete as good as Vitali is he likely finishes 4th. Spencer mauled him last time out and that was freestyle. Glory looks great at the moment and won the last meeting vs Arujau. Suriano seems like a bad match up for him, with his stingy defense.

If everyone is healthy enough to compete as good as Vitali is he likely finishes 4th. Spencer mauled him last time out and that was freestyle. Glory looks great at the moment and won the last meeting vs Arujau. Suriano seems like a bad match up for him, with his stingy defense.
Interesting that you reference prior matches betwen Vito and Spencer, and Vito and Glory, but don't mention the prior match between Vito and Suriano. Why is that?

Speaking of "looks great," did you notice that Vito, wrestling up a weight class, beat the guy from Stanford 14-3, while the week before Fix beat the same guy 7-3?

• Haha
Interesting that you reference prior matches betwen Vito and Spencer, and Vito and Glory, but don't mention the prior match between Vito and Suriano. Why is that?

Speaking of "looks great," did you notice that Vito, wrestling up a weight class, beat the guy from Stanford 14-3, while the week before Fix beat the same guy 7-3?

Those comparative scores vs Disario literally mean nothing.

vito has beaten suriano in the 2 matches that i'm aware of. 1 freestyle and 1 folkstyle. he and glory split their freshman year, but vito outplaced him and beat picc who then beat glory for 5th. vito has also had better results than glory since then. definitely enough there to say "likely finishes 4th" isn't accurate. he's a toss up against suriano and a favorite against glory imo.

but does anybody believe all of iowa’s starters will be there?
I don't, but it still doesn't change what I said. Any Tournament Iowa has been in for 4 decades is a tough Tournament as far as I'm concerned. You have to go thru them minimal. People can debate the level of "tough" all they want. Free Country and all.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT