ADVERTISEMENT

As a Hawk fan I'm guilty as are most fans of not appreciating our football teams success enough

Agree with both….

Just hope your second point doesn’t turn into a flaming turd.

Last edited:
Just remember that bureaucratic constructs such as "advisory committees" nearly always go off the rails. This one was designed to report useful information to Kirk Ferentz. It was designed to fill an advisory role to him personally and to do so in the light of day. It indeed did go off the rails and in the worst way possible, by attempting to expand both its mission and its public profile.

If your objective is to get real information, and to see certain relationship issues that are not obvious when you stroll through the facilities, you simply cannot allow this to happen. It had to be stopped in its tracks. It appears to me that as soon as he had a little window of time, he did exactly this.

The notion of an advisory committee was stupid from the outset, but it did buy the program insiders some time to legitimately work on changing the culture. I, who was a sceptic at the outset, think this is actually taking place behind the scenes. Let's pronounce this committee to be a huge success and give all the members a certificate of achievement ... signed by the head coach and AD themselves.

Now, let's wait and see what he puts in place of this committee. The serious work is still to come.

Last edited:
For the last decade at least, I’ve always considered Iowa to be too 2 or three B1G team every year. Usually depends how they do against PSU and Wisky. Great program.
The problem with Iowa is it is always "good-not-great" but flirts with greatness just enough to get our hopes up and then kick us squarely in the nuts.

Goes undefeated in Big 10 in 2002, but loses at home to Iowa State to kill any chance of a BCS berth, then collapses in second half of Orange Bowl to a USC team that was probably better than either the Ohio State team that won the Natty or the Miami team they beat.

Is rolling in 2009, undefeated in Big 10 heading into late season game against Northwestern, then top QB gets injured in the endzone, Iowa loses that game, but has a chance to STILL win the Big 10 and go to Rose Bowl if they can win at Columbus. Team plays great with backup quarterback, but loses in OT, partially because of KF's conservative nature in regulation. Actually DOES win the Orange Bowl against G-Tech, but hey, not a Rose Bowl, not a Big 10 champ and frankly G-Tech is also only a "good" program.

2015. Undefeated regular season. On cusp of appearance in CFP. Takes late lead in Big 10 Championship game. Cant get a crucial stop on a fourth down on MSU's last drive, then gives up last second, controversial touchdown. So much given physically and emotionally in that game, tank is empty for Rose Bowl and Stanford and McCaffery absolutely curb-stomp the Hawks to end the season on a disappointing 2-game losing streak.

A few more "very good" seasons after that, including this last one, where Iowa despite losing to UW again, finally makes another Big 10 championship game -- only to once again get steamrolled.

Someday, I keep saying, Iowa will win one of the REALLY BIG games and get some of the stigma of "can't win the big one" off of its reputation. But for now, we have to admit that we are a very good -- typically Top 20 -- program. But still out-of-reach of greatness.

Just remember that bureaucratic constructs such as "advisory committees" nearly always go off the rails. This one was designed to report useful information to Kirk Ferentz. It was designed to fill an advisory role to him personally and to do so in the light of day. It indeed did go off the rails and in the worst way possible, by attempting to expand both its mission and its public profile.

If your objective is to get real information, and to learn things about your program, you simply cannot allow this to happen. It had to be stopped in its tracks. It appears to me that as soon as he had a little window of time, he did exactly this.

The notion of an advisory committee was stupid from the outset, but it did buy the program insiders some time to legitimately work on changing the culture. Let's pronounce it a huge success and give all the members a certificate of achievement.

Now, let's wait and see what he puts in place of this committee. The serious work is still to come.
My guess is this will not help recruiting in any way. The advisory committee was perceived as a diversity committee, and doing away with it caters to a tainted past.

My guess is this will not help recruiting in any way. The advisory committee was perceived as a diversity committee, and doing away with it caters to a tainted past.
Nah, it will blow over.

The only way it will be a big deal is if any of the current minority players or coaches speak out about ongoing issues. So far, none have. And actually, to the contrary, have had nothing but positive things to say about the changes KF and the staff have instituted.

It is becoming more and more clear this is about a former Fry player flogging his own agenda.

The problem with Iowa is it is always "good-not-great" but flirts with greatness just enough to get our hopes up and then kick us squarely in the nuts.

Goes undefeated in Big 10 in 2002, but loses at home to Iowa State to kill any chance of a BCS berth, then collapses in second half of Orange Bowl to a USC team that was probably better than either the Ohio State team that won the Natty or the Miami team they beat.

Is rolling in 2009, undefeated in Big 10 heading into late season game against Northwestern, then top QB gets injured in the endzone, Iowa loses that game, but has a chance to STILL win the Big 10 and go to Rose Bowl if they can win at Columbus. Team plays great with backup quarterback, but loses in OT, partially because of KF's conservative nature in regulation. Actually DOES win the Orange Bowl against G-Tech, but hey, not a Rose Bowl, not a Big 10 champ and frankly G-Tech is also only a "good" program.

2015. Undefeated regular season. On cusp of appearance in CFP. Takes late lead in Big 10 Championship game. Cant get a crucial stop on a fourth down on MSU's last drive, then gives up last second, controversial touchdown. So much given physically and emotionally in that game, tank is empty for Rose Bowl and Stanford and McCaffery absolutely curb-stomp the Hawks to end the season on a disappointing 2-game losing streak.

A few more "very good" seasons after that, including this last one, where Iowa despite losing to UW again, finally makes another Big 10 championship game -- only to once again get steamrolled.

Someday, I keep saying, Iowa will win one of the REALLY BIG games and get some of the stigma of "can't win the big one" off of its reputation. But for now, we have to admit that we are a very good -- typically Top 20 -- program. But still out-of-reach of greatness.
Yup. I get it. I think it’s an overachieving program considering geography, money and facilities. Not that facilities are bad. I think the fan base one of the best in the country as well.

As for the ISU type losses, it’s like what I tell my kids about dropping passes and fumbling the ball. If you do that…you just don’t get to win. You can work as hard as you do and lose focus for a second and you’re done. They will break through soon. I root for them.

Yup. I get it. I think it’s an overachieving program considering geography, money and facilities. Not that facilities are bad. I think the fan base one of the best in the country as well.

As for the ISU type losses, it’s like what I tell my kids about dropping passes and fumbling the ball. If you do that…you just don’t get to win. You can work as hard as you do and lose focus for a second and you’re done. They will break through soon. I root for them.
Iowa has plenty of money and excellent facilities, it's the geography that's the problem and that we have a 2nd FBS team in the state.

Iowa would have been a monster, probably have a 90K stadium filled every week if ISU had realized it's true place 100 years ago and stayed in the Missouri Valley Conference, hopefully would have gone the way of the Drake program. Oh's well's!

Nah, it will blow over.

The only way it will be a big deal is if any of the current minority players or coaches speak out about ongoing issues. So far, none have. And actually, to the contrary, have had nothing but positive things to say about the changes KF and the staff have instituted.

It is becoming more and more clear this is about a former Fry player flogging his own agenda.
I don't doubt any of that. But I think those who compete against Iowa for recruits will use it to there advantage.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Iowa has plenty of money and excellent facilities, it's the geography that's the problem and that we have a 2nd FBS team in the state.

Iowa would have been a monster, probably have a 90K stadium filled every week if ISU had realized it's true place 100 years ago and stayed in the Missouri Valley Conference, hopefully would have gone the way of the Drake program. Oh's well's!
Appreciate that someone else gets this. Too many Iowa fans don't think it's a big deal at all, but it is huge.

I grew up in Madison, and in Wisconsin, UW-Madison is IT. The big main campus that everyone knows is the only true collegiate show in the entire state. Almost every excellent prep athlete in the state grows up dreaming of playing for the Badgers.

The same holds true in Minnesota and Nebraska. All those states have "The U" and then a bunch of little guys.

Here, we have to deal with a second P5 conference school. We are forced to share resources thanks to the Regents. We are forced to share media coverage.

Considering Iowa is also a low-population state even by Big 10 standards (half the population of Wisconsin for example) AND the yoke of a second major institution, Iowa massively outperforms expectations.

... and the recruits have been looking at the existence of this committee, going home and telling their parents that "Those guys out at Iowa have a Diversity Committee! Cool, huh?"

While I did not mention it in my post, it should be noted that KF disbanded this thing unilaterally. He just announced that it now ceases to exist. In doing so, he returned the proverbial "buck" (The one that keeps going until it stops) back to its proper trajectory. It's home is now back on the head coach's desk. This means that during in-home visits and any visits with the head coach, this subject is fair game.

This is as it should be.

It’s good to be in the West.

imagine being in the East and having Michigan Michigan St. Ohio St and Penn State on schedule every year.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
This. I have no doubt that USC was the best team in the country by NY day. It was the start of the 86 - 9 seven year run that was up there with the greatest of all time.

... and the recruits have been looking at the existence of this committee, going home and telling their parents that "Those guys out at Iowa have a Diversity Committee! Cool, huh?"

While I did not mention it in my post, it should be noted that KF disbanded this thing unilaterally. He just announced that it now ceases to exist. In doing so, he returned the proverbial "buck" (The one that keeps going until it stops) back to its proper trajectory. It's home is now back on the head coach's desk. This means that during in-home visits and any visits with the head coach, this subject is fair game.

This is as it should be.
Yeah, you're right. I doubt the likes of Harbaugh, Tucker, Chryst, et al, would ever make hay out of something like this.

Sorry to correct you, but David Porter wasn't a Fry player...he transferred from Auburn and played on the 2002 team...his ex-wife used to post on this board under the screen name Artemis...

It’s good to be in the West.

imagine being in the East and having Michigan Michigan St. Ohio St and Penn State on schedule every year.
Since 2011* Iowa is...

3-3 vs Michigan
2-4 vs Michigan State
2-6 vs Penn State
1-1 vs Ohio State

I am guessing that we would go 2-2 vs that group most years...

*when the B1G went to divisions

Sorry to correct you, but David Porter wasn't a Fry player...he transferred from Auburn and played on the 2002 team...his ex-wife used to post on this board under the screen name Artemis...
Of all people, you would think a MOD would adhere to the rules.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Of all people, you would think a MOD would adhere to the rules.
Fine...

David-Porter-Wide.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT