ADVERTISEMENT

As a parent, what would you do?

Yeah, to clarify my son is friends with the person named in the snap chat threat, not the one who made the threat...

We talked about it last night and left it up to him whether he wanted to go today...

As of his latest text update: it's chill

Yeah, to clarify my son is friends with the person named in the snap chat threat, not the one who made the threat...

We talked about it last night and left it up to him whether he wanted to go today...

Presuming that the threat came anonymously or they would have already arrested the kid that sent it?

Presuming that the threat came anonymously or they would have already arrested the kid that sent it?

Yep

So, what was his decision and what was the threat?

Have your kids learn self defense (BJJ, krav maga are very good for ending a fight quickly) so they aren't walking around looking over their shoulder on a daily basis.

So, what was his decision and what was the threat?

He's at school...

It was "student name" is gonna get shot up at school tomorrow

I can't say this would be the opinion of my wife, she would likely be more protective then me. But my opinion is:

Send them to school.

No one attacks when you are expecting it. This is something that I don't understand why people don't get through their heads.

I remember there was a threat on my school when I was in high school. Couple kids had plans to shoot up the school. They where caught but the rumor was that there was another one who they hadn't caught who was going to shoot up the school anyways.

I went to school, I wanted to go.

Have your kids learn self defense (BJJ, krav maga are very good for ending a fight quickly) so they aren't walking around looking over their shoulder on a daily basis.

Seriously???

Do they teach you to dodge bullets matrix style in Krav Maga?? Because I don't think most martial arts are going to help you when you are unarmed going against someone with a gun.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Seriously???

Do they teach you to dodge bullets matrix style in Krav Maga?? Because I don't think most martial arts are going to help you when you are unarmed going against someone with a gun.
Self Defense can help in situations, obviously if the other party has a weapon there is a distinct advantage. Ever seen a weapon taken out of a persons hand? Yeah, it happens.

1q9nJ32.gif

Yes, the kid goes to school. I would personally take him/her to/from, and the principal would be contacted on the threat.

I went to school many times after another kid said he was gonna effin kill me, etc, but granted they never used the internet to threaten me, and as we all know, the internet is serious business.

Reactions: Chuck C
I agree, that works if the idiot only has a pistol and no intention of using it.
Would rather wait around and find out if he is going to use it or take action to prevent use?

So no pistol, how about a knife?
Yeah+gun+disarms+i+_91e2911384eb41f3015e4467d1777b0e.gif

Would rather wait around and find out if he is going to use it or take action to prevent use?

I'm sure you could find video of someone with a small tree branch being disarmed as well. What about one of taking down a guy with a semi-automatic weapon who is firing indiscriminately from 35 feet?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I think we really need a video of a badass disarming a pimple-faced teen of his crappy Samsung. That's what this situation is about.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone

I like how you went from pistol to knife. Like that is the direction people thought you had to go. Sure, he can do that when somebody has a gun, but let's seem him try it when it gets real and the guy has a knife.

Reactions: fredjr82
Send them to school packing heat.
Yep. That's what we are told is the way to stop public things like this. In fact, it should be constitutionally mandated that all living humans starting at school age should have to carry a weapon at all times. Individuals should be responsible for training their children and if those little bastards should screw up, its on the individuals who did or didn't train them. Sure a few 6 or 7 year olds will probably die in accidents but the country itself will be stronger and the individuals will be living up to their god givens rights

Reactions: unIowa
I like how you went from pistol to knife. Like that is the direction people thought you had to go. Sure, he can do that when somebody has a gun, but let's seem him try it when it gets real and the guy has a knife.
What do you want as the weapon? A grenade launcher? Norris can disarm that.

Strawman argument.........so because he brought up flaws in the logic of your video automatically means wants to be a victim?
Flaws can be found everywhere - what you do about your flaws is on you. Each scenario is different, for every one placed there is a counter - that is life. His final argument is well what if he is 35 ft away - of course hand-to-hand isn't going to help, christ that is simple logic. But why make yourself a victim for the other times?

Flaws can be found everywhere - what you do about your flaws is on you. Each scenario is different, for every one placed there is a counter - that is life. His final argument is well what if he is 35 ft away - of course hand-to-hand isn't going to help, christ that is simple logic. But why make yourself a victim for the other times?

Okay, I can buy that, but VERY few active shooting situations have ever started of close range and talking, so while your videos are interesting with great info, the idea that they would work in the situation that the OP posted is laughable.

You basically suggested the solution to a situation where someone is threatening to come to the school and shoot someone is Krav Maga. I mean it's not like we where talking about an instance where a kid was being physically pushed around. Then Krav Maga might make sense.

But we're talking about a instance where a kid has threatened to shoot another kid to death. Last I knew Krav Maga doesn't help you dodge bullets. And I'm guessing that the kid with the gun isn't going to walk right up to him so he can attempt some cool disarm movement that may or may not work with a person who's actually willing to pull the trigger.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Okay, I can buy that, but VERY few active shooting situations have ever started of close range and talking, so while your videos are interesting with great info, the idea that they would work in the situation that the OP posted is laughable.
Most bullying in school is face-to-face, the shootings are far and few between. Why not get yourself to the point (if faced with a situation) you react instead of thinking? The time difference between the two can mean life or death.

I'm glad you're here, Jreed. Welcome to the land of LR exhiles :)

How's your pool?

You basically suggested the solution to a situation where someone is threatening to come to the school and shoot someone is Krav Maga. I mean it's not like we where talking about an instance where a kid was being physically pushed around. Then Krav Maga might make sense.

But we're talking about a instance where a kid has threatened to shoot another kid to death. Last I knew Krav Maga doesn't help you dodge bullets. And I'm guessing that the kid with the gun isn't going to walk right up to him so he can attempt some cool disarm movement that may or may not work with a person who's actually willing to pull the trigger.
I suggested knowing how to defend yourself, each situation is different and IF he pulls the gun at close range - would you rather have the tools to defend yourself or just ball up and take the bullet? If he pulls a pistol at 35 ft his chances of hitting said target have dropped drastically (hell police have a hard time hitting targets at 15ft). If it is a rifle he may be able to spray but unless trained (see cop example) he stands a small chance of hitting target. YES he can hit others.

Again - the school added cops to the school for security, that is a great step.

Best thing to happen is to find out who the kid is and have him arrested and avoid the situation all together.

I suggested knowing how to defend yourself, each situation is different and IF he pulls the gun at close range - would you rather have the tools to defend yourself or just ball up and take the bullet? If he pulls a pistol at 35 ft his chances of hitting said target have dropped drastically (hell police have a hard time hitting targets at 15ft). If it is a rifle he may be able to spray but unless trained (see cop example) he stands a small chance of hitting target. YES he can hit others.
Unrelated, but I find this very hard to believe. I know eight-year-olds that could knock an apple off the top of your head with a baseball from 46 feet. Surely a trained officer of the law could do better with a handgun.

I give you an example of where someone pointing a gun (and as you state, isn't going to walk right up..) at close range just last night.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...-robbery-gunpoint-coral-ridge-mall/680231001/

Unrelated, but I find this very hard to believe. I know eight-year-olds that could knock an apple off the top of your head with a baseball from 46 feet. Surely a trained officer of the law could do better with a handgun.
How many shots are fired at suspects on the average? Have you seen shoot outs before?

This study aimed to examine the level of shooting accuracy demonstrated by law enforcement recruits upon completion of their law enforcement firearms training in comparison with novice shooters. One hundred and ninety-five male and 52 female law enforcement recruits volunteered. Participants were separated by firearms experience into the following groups: expert (completed law enforcement firearms course, n = 83), intermediate (recreational experience, n = 71) and novice (minimal/no experience, n = 93). All subjects were tested for accuracy at target locations from 3 to 75 ft. For all locations, no difference was found in accuracy between expert and intermediate groups (p > 0.30). Experts and intermediates had better results than novices on all locations (p < 0.05) except from 3 to 15 ft. Alarmingly, experts were only 10% more accurate than novices between 3 and IS ft. Finally, novices and intermediate shooters were more likely to hit head locations from 3 ft (57%), whereas experts mainly hit the body location (78%). The results of this study indicate that officers had no advantage over intermediate shooters and a small advantage over novices

Reactions: Demoba
How many shots are fired at suspects on the average? Have you seen shoot outs before?

This study aimed to examine the level of shooting accuracy demonstrated by law enforcement recruits upon completion of their law enforcement firearms training in comparison with novice shooters. One hundred and ninety-five male and 52 female law enforcement recruits volunteered. Participants were separated by firearms experience into the following groups: expert (completed law enforcement firearms course, n = 83), intermediate (recreational experience, n = 71) and novice (minimal/no experience, n = 93). All subjects were tested for accuracy at target locations from 3 to 75 ft. For all locations, no difference was found in accuracy between expert and intermediate groups (p > 0.30). Experts and intermediates had better results than novices on all locations (p < 0.05) except from 3 to 15 ft. Alarmingly, experts were only 10% more accurate than novices between 3 and IS ft. Finally, novices and intermediate shooters were more likely to hit head locations from 3 ft (57%), whereas experts mainly hit the body location (78%). The results of this study indicate that officers had no advantage over intermediate shooters and a small advantage over novices
I guess the answer is to arm all schoolchildren with baseballs then. Who wouldn't get behind that initiative?

Reactions: volknut
ADVERTISEMENT