ADVERTISEMENT

as expected...Downing

best of luck mr. downing.

if there's any more comments; let's keep it classy!
anigif_enhanced-buzz-17981-1367358976-0.gif

Good luck to him, every Sat. of the season but one. He most likely made the right choice for himself and I hope he will be happy.

Good luck to him. Always great to see small town Iowa guys get the chance to chase their dreams, regardless of where they choose to do it. Would have loved to see him in black and gold, but we will find others- the one position group we really seem to be stocked pretty well at every year.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he gets a great education and a shot at the next level. Stay healthy.

I bet Randy Peterson was so excited to write the story about Downing choosing Iowa St over Iowa. Also saw on twitter someone had that the tide is turning, with Iowa St getting recruits over Iowa now.

Reactions: David1979
There are tons of kids as good as Downing. But next year's class in the state has some elite OL in Endres and Miller and they will both be Hawks.

Reactions: Underscore2
Good for him but this has got to hurt his chances of making the NFL. A 4th round NFL draft pick is guaranteed a contract and a signing bonus around $550,000. I hope he's majoring in something he truly loves to do.

If you are promising right now this 3 star recruit is going to be a 4th round NFL draft pick, I'll take it. If you are saying he'd be a 1st rounder if he went to Iowa... well all righty then. Tom Manning is a little different than prior ISU O Line coaches... ask Nick Fett.

If ANF was really anything other than a marketing ploy you may have gotten him.

Didn't read hknation's post did you?
I do not see anything classless about the post, it is straight up truth. ISU is one of the worst football programs in the country historically and recently. The young man didn't choose ISU for their winning tradition (because it doesn't exist) he simply choose the school because he like Ag and also was from a Clone family.....there is no problem with that by any stretch of the means, however; if history continues he will not win many games in his 4-5 year career and that is fact

I bet Randy Peterson was so excited to write the story about Downing choosing Iowa St over Iowa. Also saw on twitter someone had that the tide is turning, with Iowa St getting recruits over Iowa now.
Yeah his article was pathetic, he is such a homer for the worst program in NCAA football history.......

Reactions: megahawk
Good for him but this has got to hurt his chances of making the NFL. A 4th round NFL draft pick is guaranteed a contract and a signing bonus around $550,000. I hope he's majoring in something he truly loves to do.

The average NFL career is 2.66 years. Even the ones that make it into the league, a very small number of college football players, have a long time to live after they are done playing football. Its much more prudent to make planning for life after football the priority. Very few NFL players are actually set for life once they are out of the league. And when they are done playing football, they need some other way to make money for the next 40 or so years of their lives.

The average NFL career is 2.66 years. Even the ones that make it into the league, a very small number of college football players, have a long time to live after they are done playing football. Its much more prudent to make planning for life after football the priority. Very few NFL players are actually set for life once they are out of the league. And when they are done playing football, they need some other way to make money for the next 40 or so years of their lives.

And there are plenty of good majors to choose from at Iowa to do just that. The young man is really reducing his ability to do both by going to Iowa St. That's why I said he better really love that major in college. If he lasts 2.66 years in the NFL, that would be around 1.5 million with the signing bonus. That's 15 years of work outside of football if he earns 100k a year. That's a hell of a head start.

If you are promising right now this 3 star recruit is going to be a 4th round NFL draft pick, I'll take it. If you are saying he'd be a 1st rounder if he went to Iowa... well all righty then. Tom Manning is a little different than prior ISU O Line coaches... ask Nick Fett.

If ANF was really anything other than a marketing ploy you may have gotten him.
It's almost amazing how incorrectly you read his post.

And there are plenty of good majors to choose from at Iowa to do just that. The young man is really reducing his ability to do both by going to Iowa St. That's why I said he better really love that major in college. If he lasts 2.66 years in the NFL, that would be around 1.5 million with the signing bonus. That's 15 years of work outside of football if he earns 100k a year. That's a hell of a head start.

I think you highly overestimate the impact that going to one college over the other has on an individual's ability to make the NFL, whereas he knows he can't get the major he wants at Iowa.

I find it sort of amazing that people are critical of a kid because he is planning for life without football, when the bigger issue with college football is that these kids are sold on the idea that "we can get you to the league where you'll be rich" all of the time, yet very few of them get there. Meanwhile, they've failed to make an alternative plans in pursuit of that dream that never happened.

I think you highly overestimate the impact that going to one college over the other has on an individual's ability to make the NFL, whereas he knows he can't get the major he wants at Iowa.

I find it sort of amazing that people are critical of a kid because he is planning for life without football, when the bigger issue with college football is that these kids are sold on the idea that "we can get you to the league where you'll be rich" all of the time, yet very few of them get there. Meanwhile, they've failed to make an alternative plans in pursuit of that dream that never happened.
Every single Iowa OL that has started as a Senior at Iowa has made $ in the NFL. Being that ISU and the entire big 12 sucks at football and do not have players picked in the draft I can understand how you would be confused....kind of like understanding that there are college football games played after the month of November- they are called Bowl Games. So I think you highly underestimate the impact of one college program developing players at a much higher rate to be successful in the NFL over others....I could pull up numerous stats to support my answer, especially when it comes to Iowa turning 2-3 star players (much like this young man) into NFL players who would make more in 2-3 years than most of us would in 10-20 years.

Furthermore, I do not think anybody is being critical. He made his decision and for what ever reason he made it-more power to him. The fact is that we are just simply pointing out that he must not value playing good football or you know winning more than he does welding in class. I am not hating on him, but from all the info I have heard this is most definitely the case

Every single Iowa OL that has started as a Senior at Iowa has made $ in the NFL.

And what percentage of the total number of OL they've signed as freshmen is that?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think giving up on a major and career you are passionate about and will practice for decades after playing football in order to increase your chances at a couple of years in the NFL from 4% to 7%, or whatever the case may be, is imprudent. Obviously, others disagree.

And what percentage of the total number of OL they've signed as freshmen is that?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think giving up on a major and career you are passionate about and will practice for decades after playing football in order to increase your chances at a couple of years in the NFL from 4% to 7%, or whatever the case may be, is imprudent. Obviously, others disagree.
1. I don't think anyone was being critical of the kids choice, but if there is one position that Iowa has great success at getting into the NFL, it's OL. Puzzled maybe, critical, no.
2. With that being said, even if you get drafted in the 4th round and play a couple years, making a million dollars doing so, would set you up for great success the rest of your life.

Maybe he'll do it at ISU as well.

Not very difficult people. He wants to get into the best major for his occupation after the next 4-5 years. He knows it won't be the NFL. So more power to him for making an educated decision. Plus, he knows he may have a logjam at Iowa that doesn't exist in Ames. Good for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT