ADVERTISEMENT

As I was sayin................MAKING......the NCAA Tournament is gravy.

Feb 25, 2008
It would be a positive if the team was playing its best basketball at the end of the year, won a game or two in the B10 tourney and had a nice run in the NIT.

Making the NCAA Tournament with this team that has been relying on Filip Rebraca as its Center for the last two f***ing years would be absolute gravy, regardless if we piss our pants in the 1st Round again.

We'll all just have to......deal with it. :)

It would be a positive if the team was playing its best basketball at the end of the year, won a game or two in the B10 tourney and had a nice run in the NIT.

Making the NCAA Tournament with this team that has been relying on Filip Rebraca as its Center for the last two f***ing years would be absolute gravy, regardless if we piss our pants in the 1st Round again.

I don't think we have to worry about this team making the NCAA tournament.

NIT sucks, deal with it

I am ready for FM to have some post season success

It would be an amazing failure to miss the ncaa tournament with 5 starting upperclassmen, two of whom are in their mid 20s and another whos a likely first round draft pick.

That would legitimately be unacceptable and should result in loss of a job.

It would be an amazing failure to miss the ncaa tournament with 5 starting upperclassmen, two of whom are in their mid 20s and another whos a likely first round draft pick.

That would legitimately be unacceptable and should result in loss of a job.
Amazing? Iowa was picked for 9th place in the league preseason.
Talent-wise that is where the Hawks rate. As the op wrote making the tourney after an injury-riddled season would be gravy.

Hawks will win today, and will ultimately limp in as a 10 seed.

Yeah, lose any more home games and the dream dies. Too many shaky performances this year where we shoot 50% on free throws or 20% from 3, or we shoot well but play no defense and give up 85 points.

Amazing? Iowa was picked for 9th place in the league preseason.
Talent-wise that is where the Hawks rate. As the op wrote making the tourney after an injury-riddled season would be gravy.
If what I said and you said are both true....then you've just emphasized my point.

What in the flying **** are we doing here if we can't make the tournament with a roster full of upperclassmen and super upperclassmen?

Thats called a total program failure.

Only bottom of the barrel programs miss the tournament in this scenario.

Last edited:
I think Iowa has a better than a coin flip chance of making Ncaa tourney. They could even get to sweet16 if they got extremely lucky with matchup and had hot 3pt shooting game in ncaa. That has never happened for Fran in his entire career, but never say never.

Most of the B1G s look to be roughly comparable in talent---roughly 1 star, 1 good player, and 3 meh guys. Iowa has star in Kris, good layer in Rebracca, and the rest are meh.

The only outliers in talent are Purdue on upside and Minnesota on downside.. You don't really have to be that good to get to NCAA tourney in today's diluted landscape. For B1G teams, your odds of getting to NCAA with just average B1G play are >50% since 8/14 teams usually make it.

If Keegan had played 2 more seasons our talent level would rate much higher in the league.

But I agree our recruiting has had too many misses in recent years outside of Luka and the Murray's.
With injury to Murray, Ulis, Josh and Patrick we have become very thin with a lack of quality depth.
Not good.
Fran has gotten us to the Dance like 6 of 7 years...including Covid year with one of our best teams.
My hopes for an Iowa BB coach was that we need to make the Dance 4 of 5 years.
Fran has done that so I feel he has to be retained until we hit a 2-3 year tourney drought.
If we miss this year and probably miss next year then he will be on the hot seat to make it the next year.
I like Fran's offensive style but recruiting must improve, especially guards. Not sold on Bowen and Hardy as the guards who can lead us to the promise land(sweet sixteen).

If Keegan had played 2 more seasons our talent level would rate much higher in the league.

But I agree our recruiting has had too many misses in recent years outside of Luka and the Murray's.
With injury to Murray, Ulis, Josh and Patrick we have become very thin with a lack of quality depth.
Not good.
Fran has gotten us to the Dance like 6 of 7 years...including Covid year with one of our best teams.
My hopes for an Iowa BB coach was that we need to make the Dance 4 of 5 years.
Fran has done that so I feel he has to be retained until we hit a 2-3 year tourney drought.
If we miss this year and probably miss next year then he will be on the hot seat to make it the next year.
I like Fran's offensive style but recruiting must improve, especially guards. Not sold on Bowen and Hardy as the guards who can lead us to the promise land(sweet sixteen).
I'd like an actual post player that can contend with all these other teams physical post players.

I'm trying to think when we've had one in the last 10 years, and yes I'm including Garza. For all he was worth, he wasn't necessarily a lock down post defender.

Too many finesse players in Fran's era and not enough to balance it out, which is absolutely 100% necessary..................if you wanna f***ing make a title run/deep run in the NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT