ADVERTISEMENT

As of Sep 12, 5,000 tickets @ $95 each remain for Penn State (As of Sep 19, "a few thousand" remain)

On a money basis, the $95 makes sense. They've sold 65K seats, totalling $6.175 million. If they dropped the price below $88 per ticket a sellout would produce less than $6.175 million, so $75 or even $80 per ticket would be a money loser with a sellout. And that's before the walk-up sales, which will drive the total even higher. Like some others here, I don't get why a few dollars more for a ticket are a big deal when most of the money you spend is in travel, lodging, food, and beverages.

On a money basis, the $95 makes sense. They've sold 65K seats, totalling $6.175 million. If they dropped the price below $88 per ticket a sellout would produce less than $6.175 million, so $75 or even $80 per ticket would be a money loser with a sellout. And that's before the walk-up sales, which will drive the total even higher. Like some others here, I don't get why a few dollars more for a ticket are a big deal when most of the money you spend is in travel, lodging, food, and beverages.
Exactly. Buy one less carton of cigarettes next week and you are covered. Make yourself a ham sandwich instead of going out to lunch for a couple of days.

Wisconsin ramps their ticket prices up to $100 for our game, and we aren't even ranked. BAU.

I just snatched up 3 tickets for this one, just something about Kinnick and night games. Might be a memorable game, may not be, guess we'll see. I understand everyone has their breaking point when it comes to ticket prices and opponent. Such as this weekend, I wouldn't go if someone gave me tickets for free. With the forecasted heat I'm sitting at home in the AC.

This. I don't like it, but it's the way it is.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Kinnick/Iowa has to be one of the last remaining places on earth that doesn't offer any tiered pricing, right?

I mean $95 is ridiculous to be sitting 75 rows up in a freaking corner

If you want to sell the crappy seats, there needs to be zoned pricing where it's cheaper in the end zones and higher sections. It's not that complicated. And save me your bs about if you don't want to pay, don't go. If a family of four wants to go, it would probably cost $500-$600 between tickets, food and travel; not even counting a hotel which is $200 bucks if you can get anywhere close to Iowa City.

A lot of people would love to go and simply can't afford to. In many cases, it's the younger, energetic crowd that's left out.

$95 for corner end zone tickets, in the last row might be a bit high for many, as others have said, let's see if it's a sellout. That's why I buy season tickets.

$95 for corner end zone tickets, in the last row might be a bit high for many, as others have said, let's see if it's a sellout. That's why I buy season tickets.
I bought 4, row 59 in section 106, roughly 45 yard line on hawkeyesports.com on Wednesday, there were and are good tickets available.

I think $95 is a little steep. I just think this is short sighted....with the overall trend in attendance going down....don't really need to exacerbate the situation by overpricing. Have to look towards the future and try and keep attendance up by making the tickets more affordable for the casual fan.

Reactions: blackbrd12
Maybe they don't care about single game tix? They've made their money with season ticket holders and TV rights. Throw the 95 dollar price point out and gouge the single game buyers. Will it sell out? IDK but any single game tix they sell is gravy for them.

If $95 a ticket is too much for a huge night game what do you think season tickets cost? Especially when as you've pointed out some games are duds that go for much cheaper. Do you think the best games should go for the mean price of season tickets? I don't get how $95 doesn't make complete sense!
If Iowa fans don't want to pay that look for a huge crowd from Penn St

I highly doubt that...those cheap bastards refused to travel to Indy for the B1G Championship game, I doubt they will travel to Iowa City...besides, they returned 500 tickets from their allotment...

So far, yes. But as we get closer to the game, a lot of tickets will sell. It's a night game which is very attractive to a lot of people. I will be very surprised if it's not a sell out, especially if both teams are 3-0 which they should be.
Unfortunately, it's all about the money. Selling 65,000 tickets at $95 brings in$1.3 million more than a sellout at $70 a ticket. It's a crappy scenario on big money in college sports but that's the way it is. Just hate to see Iowa going down this same path.

Reactions: HemiHawk
Unfortunately, it's all about the money. Selling 65,000 tickets at $95 brings in$1.3 million more than a sellout at $70 a ticket. It's a crappy scenario on big money in college sports but that's the way it is. Just hate to see Iowa going down this same path.
They aren't getting 65k at $95 a pop. A STH is paying a little under $60 a game. Obviously students are even less.

Reactions: kwik44
Meh, I thought I would miss not going to Kinnick. Now I go the OP in Prairie Village, KS if I want to hang with a bunch of fans or sit at home. Drink whatever beer I want, don't mess with parking, have a comfy seat (not next to a fat ass), and immediately do something productive after the game is over rather than wait in traffic and drive home to KC.
True enough. Haven't made the trip for several years. Usually work Saturday mornings, but even if not, its hard to do the almost 11 hours round trip of driving for a one day trip, and deal with the crowds etc.. The Other Place is a good place to watch the Hawks play. Ever been to Fuzzy's South down on State Line? Great hawk hangout as well.

Reactions: NI hawk
But if they weren't people would be complaining when they fall behind on facility, and stadium upgrades. Just like coaches salaries, if you want to play with the big boys, you have to PAY with the big boys.

If $95 a ticket is too much for a huge night game what do you think season tickets cost? Especially when as you've pointed out some games are duds that go for much cheaper. Do you think the best games should go for the mean price of season tickets? I don't get how $95 doesn't make complete sense!
I'm going to respond to this and add what your responses could be in quotations....

Because it should be $65.

"No, it shouldn't...."

You're right. It should be $55.

"Okay you're crazy."

Yeah but you know what's not crazy? That ticket prices should be $45.

"Now you're just dropping them for the sake of it."

I would never drop the price of an Iowa ticket, which should be $35, for the sake of it.....

Like hawkcub pointed out, those numbers are flawed. There might be some difference but it wouldn't be nearly that much. In my opinion, when you can't sell out your stadium for a huge night game against a top 10 opponent because you've priced out too many people, then you're doing it wrong. Long-term fan retention should be far more valuable than the $ brought in from a single event.

The price is par. For eg, Husker fans get docked 135/tkt for their osu game -- imagine how they get to feel if Joey tribbiani doesn't have the blackshirts ready for the urbanites

Like hawkcub pointed out, those numbers are flawed. There might be some difference but it wouldn't be nearly that much. In my opinion, when you can't sell out your stadium for a huge night game against a top 10 opponent because you've priced out too many people, then you're doing it wrong. Long-term fan retention should be far more valuable than the $ brought in from a single event.
This is how I feel as well. Fewer students attending games and fewer families creating the tradition of going to Iowa football games, doesn't bode well for the future. And the long term TV rights increases aren't going to last. Too many people cutting the cord. 5000 empty seats today, could be 20,000 empty seats 20 years from now.

This is how I feel as well. Fewer students attending games and fewer families creating the tradition of going to Iowa football games, doesn't bode well for the future. And the long term TV rights increases aren't going to last. Too many people cutting the cord. 5000 empty seats today, could be 20,000 empty seats 20 years from now.
I'd be surprised if there is ncaa football in 20 years

Don't pay the money and don't go if u can't afford it. Bitching about it, won't change
College fb right now. The U is maximizing having a top 5 program and a night game
For all it's worth. It's on abc at 6:30 central. Watch from home.

Reactions: Packer54
Do I think $95 a ticket is steep? Yes

Do I think hotel rooms are steep? Yes

At the end of the day though, I figured a night game against a top 5 team would be a great environment. So we decided to get two tickets and are paying $240 for the night for hotel and who knows what in beer and food.

Premium games carry premium price tags. This is true at almost every single school. Michigan-OSU is approaching $150. Secondary market cheap seats at Michigan for OSU start at $223. You can spend close to a $1,000 per ticket. This is the new reality and it isn't going to change.

Premium games carry premium price tags. This is true at almost every single school. Michigan-OSU is approaching $150. Secondary market cheap seats at Michigan for OSU start at $223. You can spend close to a $1,000 per ticket. This is the new reality and it isn't going to change.
This is true, but my guess is that game is easily sold out.

I think the point is that if a marquee game like this isn't sold out at Iowa, with less than 7 days until kickoff, the price point is too high. I guess you can't find out what that price is until you go over it?

This is true, but my guess is that game is easily sold out.

I think the point is that if a marquee game like this isn't sold out at Iowa, with less than 7 days until kickoff, the price point is too high. I guess you can't find out what that price is until you go over it?

It depends on If the goal is to maximum revenue or to sell out the stadium. It's not necessarily the same thing.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc

One could argue they are thinking about long-term fan retention by rewarding season-ticket holders by having their per-game price be the same as the season ticket price. One of the incentives for getting season tickets is you pay a lower cost on a per game basis, plus you are guaranteed a seat for the likes of Penn State and Ohio State. In a perfect world, cost would be $25 and everyone who wanted a ticket could get one. But in the current environment, they have to maximize revenue to pay for everything (including non-football stuff). Hopefully the game is a sellout.

One could argue they are thinking about long-term fan retention by rewarding season-ticket holders by having their per-game price be the same as the season ticket price. One of the incentives for getting season tickets is you pay a lower cost on a per game basis, plus you are guaranteed a seat for the likes of Penn State and Ohio State. In a perfect world, cost would be $25 and everyone who wanted a ticket could get one. But in the current environment, they have to maximize revenue to pay for everything (including non-football stuff). Hopefully the game is a sellout.

I certainly see your point, but season tickets just aren't an option for a lot of people.

The idea of this game having only 65,000 fans is just really sad. Might turn out to be one for the ages. Having that many empty seats makes the fanbase look disinterested, when the truth is there just aren't enough people who can foot the bill. I realize revenue is as important as ever, but pricing out your own fans doesn't seem to make a lot of sense long-term. 5,000 fewer fans are also 5,000 fewer people going to concessions and making spur-of-the-moment merchandise purchases. Attendance is in a downward trend, and IMO this game having this many empty seats is an ominous sign.

So what should the price be? Saturday night, 6:30pm. #4 Penn State? ABC television. Free TV. WHAT? I do not get this.

Ive never seen anyone bitch about the price of a movie ticket. Happy Huricanes everyone.

Hope everyone is safe!!

MeettheFerentz,

I get your point. I really do, do not know what the
Athletic Dept. bottom line is, overall. BUT, they seem to want to get as much $$$$ as
Possible, from us as possible.

Maybe Sat. Ticket prices will drop. They already have my Season tic. Money.

GO HAWKS!!

A two tier pricing system offering discounts for the upper rows of the end zones and top corners of the east/west stands would be welcome even if only for select games. They are always the last to sell, but people will buy if they think they are getting a deal.

Glad they are finally going to demolish and rebuild the north end zone. I always argued you should pay half the price to sit there because you get about half a seat with everyone crammed in there and the aisles are about half as wide as they need to be so you always have to climb over other people.

Completely agree. Single game ticket buyers don't complain when it is cheap for the N. Texas of the world. Hotel prices are higher during game day weekends as well..........does that also confuse people. Do airplane tickets price fluctuations also confuse people? Apparently revenue management should be taught as a basic course in high school. If you want a standard ticket price for a game then buy season tickets. If you want cheaper tickets than go to the Wyoming, N. Texas, Illinois, and Purdue game. If you only plan on going to one or two games and you pick the biggest games of the year.............expect to pay a premium.

2017 Iowa Football Home Schedule
Sept. 2....... Wyoming (11 am) ^............$45 each
Sept. 16..... North Texas (2:30 pm) ^.....$45 each
Sept. 23..... Penn State.........................$95 each
Oct. 7......... Illinois (11 am) *^.............. $60 each
Oct. 28....... Minnesota........................ $80 each
Nov. 4........ Ohio State........................ $95 each
Nov. 18...... Purdue ^............................$60 each

If only I had known they were going to win on a last-second field goal I would have went to the game. Can you tell me the end result of next Saturday night before I decide to go?

Iowa wins 35-13 and KF kicks Franklin in the baby maker during the post game handshake.

It's bush league when ISU jacked the prices up for particular games and it's bush leaue when Iowa does it - I don't care how much the average ticket is elsewhere. Barta has all the charisma of a rotting potato and needs the same dumpster treatment said rotting potato would get. The Kinnick gameday experience has been deteriorating for a while and our rotting potato is responsible for much of it.

Reactions: HawkandTackle
Iowa wins 35-13 and KF kicks Franklin in the baby maker during the post game handshake.

It's bush league when ISU jacked the prices up for particular games and it's bush leaue when Iowa does it - I don't care how much the average ticket is elsewhere. Barta has all the charisma of a rotting potato and needs the same dumpster treatment said rotting potato would get. The Kinnick gameday experience has been deteriorating for a while and our rotting potato is responsible for much of it.

So do you think the ticket prices for Wyoming, N. Texas, Illinois, and Minnesota should be higher? All tickets $65?

Reactions: HawkNole09
Completely agree. Single game ticket buyers don't complain when it is cheap for the N. Texas of the world. Hotel prices are higher during game day weekends as well..........does that also confuse people. Do airplane tickets price fluctuations also confuse people? Apparently revenue management should be taught as a basic course in high school. If you want a standard ticket price for a game then buy season tickets. If you want cheaper tickets than go to the Wyoming, N. Texas, Illinois, and Purdue game. If you only plan on going to one or two games and you pick the biggest games of the year.............expect to pay a premium.

2017 Iowa Football Home Schedule
Sept. 2....... Wyoming (11 am) ^............$45 each
Sept. 16..... North Texas (2:30 pm) ^.....$45 each
Sept. 23..... Penn State.........................$95 each
Oct. 7......... Illinois (11 am) *^.............. $60 each
Oct. 28....... Minnesota........................ $80 each
Nov. 4........ Ohio State........................ $95 each
Nov. 18...... Purdue ^............................$60 each

Most people are not arguing that. But the there was a 10.5% increase in one year for the premium tickets. After a year where we were only had an average year. People are pointing out that $95 might be to much for the casual /bandwagon fan to pay. Which accounts for the final 5k to 8k in Kinnick like it or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT