ADVERTISEMENT

As of Sep 12, 5,000 tickets @ $95 each remain for Penn State (As of Sep 19, "a few thousand" remain)

So do you think the ticket prices for Wyoming, N. Texas, Illinois, and Minnesota should be higher? All tickets $65?

As a follow-up. Neither Wyoming 68K or N. Texas 52K were sellouts. For those of you advocating taking the entire family, those would have both been great/cheaper opportunities.

And if you think we should charge $65 for those games what do you think it would do to the Kinnick gameday experience?

Differential pricing is the new norm.
It didn't affect my choice not to go; I wasn't planning on it anyway.

As for the future, I don't see anything reversing the downward trend in live attendance. Technology is only getting better. If you can be at the game virtually without all of the attendant costs and hassles there's a lot less incentive to go.

More people should have done the mobile ticket option they offered before the season if they are upset with prices. 7 games for $250 works out to less than $36 a game. Pretty much just paying for PSU and O$U tickets and getting the other 5 for nothing. Great deal imo

Reactions: terrehawk
Supply and demand. If you think $95 is too much, don't pay it. If you want to see Iowa play Penn State in Kinnick, then that's what it costs, or more.

LMAO. You obviously slept through your Econ class 25 years ago.

Get out a piece of paper and draw out the curves if you know how to.

They are the most expensive single game ticket in Kinnick Stadium history, per Chad Leistikow.

Yikes!

Thoughts?

Is this game not going to sell out?

$95 is considered expensive for a single game ticket?

Single game tickets for PSU-Mich this year are >$175 each.

Good luck on Saturday night.

Is this game not going to sell out?

$95 is considered expensive for a single game ticket?

Single game tickets for PSU-Mich this year are >$175 each.

Good luck on Saturday night.
According to the PSU site, most of the Michigan-PSU tickets were $100 face value ... Now, of course, the Stub Hubs, etc., have $250 + tickets for the PSU-Michigan game ...

I certainly see your point, but season tickets just aren't an option for a lot of people.

The idea of this game having only 65,000 fans is just really sad. Might turn out to be one for the ages. Having that many empty seats makes the fanbase look disinterested, when the truth is there just aren't enough people who can foot the bill. I realize revenue is as important as ever, but pricing out your own fans doesn't seem to make a lot of sense long-term. 5,000 fewer fans are also 5,000 fewer people going to concessions and making spur-of-the-moment merchandise purchases. Attendance is in a downward trend, and IMO this game having this many empty seats is an ominous sign.
There won't be 5000 empty seats, by game time.

According to the PSU site, most of the Michigan-PSU tickets were $100 face value ... Now, of course, the Stub Hubs, etc., have $250 + tickets for the PSU-Michigan game ...

The face value is for season ticket holders. The price for an individual game tickets is much higher to reflect that you don't have to make a donation to buy that ticket. For PSU-UM, a single game ticket via ticketmaster was around $200 including fees (not a re-sale ticket). Tickets are now sold out.

I paid $190 for a secondary market ticket before the season started. The cheapest secondary market ticket I saw just now was $269 (including fees, via SeatGeek).

It looks like the cheapest secondary market tickets for Saturday's game are $111 including fees.

I hope it sells out. Should be a good one!

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Maybe no one thinks PedU has a chance?
No sober Hawk fan would think that, but in all honesty, I like our chances a lot better then how the media will pick this game. Iowa WILL show up for this game, and last years game means nothing come Saturday.

As a follow-up. Neither Wyoming 68K or N. Texas 52K were sellouts. For those of you advocating taking the entire family, those would have both been great/cheaper opportunities.

And if you think we should charge $65 for those games what do you think it would do to the Kinnick gameday experience?

N Texas was only 52k??

This is how I feel as well. Fewer students attending games and fewer families creating the tradition of going to Iowa football games, doesn't bode well for the future. And the long term TV rights increases aren't going to last. Too many people cutting the cord. 5000 empty seats today, could be 20,000 empty seats 20 years from now.

and if this CTE issue does not go away, parents are going to steer their kids away from football

How much does the stigma that PSU carries with it have to do with this? I know I wouldn't give any school money to watch it play PSU

It depends on If the goal is to maximum revenue or to sell out the stadium. It's not necessarily the same thing.
This is obviously true. If the two are fairly close, then there is not a huge issue with the price point. If you start having very lucrative small crowds, it's going to end up hurting. As an example, how many times have you read on this board that somebody went to a game as a kid, and they were hooked? I have seen it many many times. I would hate for that to quit happening.

I have a ticket to the game, and so do many of you. Money is not a huge issue for Iowa. Something they need to consider is what things will look like 10-20 years from now. The money and fans are here today. I would prefer that continues tomorrow.

I wonder what declining attendence does to Iowa's overall brand? I don't think it looks very good to viewers when they notice empy seats at a night game in Kinnick. Something the bean counters in the athletic dept may want to consider is how do we calculate the damage done to our brand in real dollars over the long run?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
According to the ticket office today there were still plenty of tickets available. That could mean anywhere between 1,000 & 5,000. I am still guessing a virtual sell out. The atmosphere is gonna be great and we have a punchers chance to win this thing.

You can blame the ticket office for the thousands of seats remaining. Last Thursday, out of nowhere, the entire block of section 137 became available. The top 20 rows of sections 103 and 108 also became available. Those blocks of seats weren't there before last Thursday.
Those also aren't the visiting team allotment.
University is known to hold back tickets. Why they held back thousands, who knows. But I guarantee those seats in 103 and 108 would have been gone by now if they were released during the initial single game sale.

U of I working with corp players like Farm Bureau to sell tickets at a discount to Wyoming, NT, Illini, Minnesota, and Purdue for $35/adult and $25/child.

Sounds like they should of extended this offer to PSU and tOSU for $75 and $65 to get the sell outs as $95 a ticket is too costly for most families out there if you want to go to the game, eat out, gas, lodging, etc. For a family of four from DM to go to the game, tickets, gas, food throughout the day, and some concessions will cost $500 easily. GB is pricing out the average Iowan that is using that money to buy a very nice flatscreen tv they can enjoy for years instead.

I just got tickets myself in section 104 on the 30 yard line which is scary this late in the process. Wonder how many PSU fans will be at the game based off of these numbers.

U of I working with corp players like Farm Bureau to sell tickets at a discount to Wyoming, NT, Illini, Minnesota, and Purdue for $35/adult and $25/child.

Sounds like they should of extended this offer to PSU and tOSU for $75 and $65 to get the sell outs as $95 a ticket is too costly for most families out there if you want to go to the game, eat out, gas, lodging, etc. For a family of four from DM to go to the game, tickets, gas, food throughout the day, and some concessions will cost $500 easily. GB is pricing out the average Iowan that is using that money to buy a very nice flatscreen tv they can enjoy for years instead.

I just got tickets myself in section 104 on the 30 yard line which is scary this late in the process. Wonder how many PSU fans will be at the game based off of these numbers.

I have read, unofficially, Penn St. sent back tickets.

I have read, unofficially, Penn St. sent back tickets.
Yes, they sent back approx 500. Looks like 11 of the 20 sideline sections are completely sold out and a few of those sections as mentioned (102, 103, 108) have more than singles only available. Other sideline sections with only singles available but endzones and higher up have more than that. I'd guess 69k for Saturday, expensive ticket but yes, that mobile season pass looking good right now!

You can blame the ticket office for the thousands of seats remaining. Last Thursday, out of nowhere, the entire block of section 137 became available. The top 20 rows of sections 103 and 108 also became available. Those blocks of seats weren't there before last Thursday.
Those also aren't the visiting team allotment.
University is known to hold back tickets. Why they held back thousands, who knows. But I guarantee those seats in 103 and 108 would have been gone by now if they were released during the initial single game sale.
That's asinine if true.

Parts of the south end zone are still widely available, and as noted above section 137 is almost totally open. This is odd.

Maybe they should cut the price of some of the end zone seats starting tomorrow to get them sold. I agree there is longer-term brand damage possible if whole sections appear empty on TV.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Are there really a lot of people that would go at $65 but not at $95? Count me as skeptical that $20-30 is the make or break point for most people.
I get what you are saying but if you have a family of three that's $90 extra dollars. If you go to the games by yourself it's not as big of an impact. I understand its not an outrageous amount extra but it also makes it easier to pass on the whole experience. Personally, I think $95 is too much for the high corner end zone seats.

As of yesterday afternoon, there were roughly 2500 remaining. Scattered seats in a couple sections in the west stands. Mainly the PSU returns in the east. These have been going pretty quickly. This leaves a couple large blocks of seats in the end zones. These aren't going to move until the east stand tickets clear. From there, it'll be interesting. Not having tiered pricing seems to be a bad idea.

As of yesterday afternoon, there were roughly 2500 remaining. Scattered seats in a couple sections in the west stands. Mainly the PSU returns in the east. These have been going pretty quickly. This leaves a couple large blocks of seats in the end zones. These aren't going to move until the east stand tickets clear. From there, it'll be interesting. Not having tiered pricing seems to be a bad idea.
That really should be the next step, tiered pricing within the stadium. Corner, endzone, up high. Pay more for better seats, pay less for the worst. Simple and makes sense to the average ticket purchaser as well.

Are there really a lot of people that would go at $65 but not at $95? Count me as skeptical that $20-30 is the make or break point for most people.

I'm in that camp. Have to draw the line somewhere. Ticket prices have gotten to the point where watching the game at home or in a bar is a better option

It is interesting bc I am going to the Ohio state game and went to purchase tickets and it appears there is much less availability for osu in November than Penn state this weekend.. some are probably reserved for away team. Would they be holding tickets back (I heard that mentioned above) and if so, for what purpose?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT