ADVERTISEMENT

As we predicted here

Chishawk1425

HR King
Nov 27, 2019
Nevada is terrible and Petras looks decent. Rutgers is 3-0 and we go there next week. With all the injuries if he looks ok and we win I'm all in on the Petras train

• Wow
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
tenor.gif

Nevada is terrible and Petras looks decent. Rutgers is 3-0 and we go there next week. With all the injuries it he looks ok and we win I'm all in on the Petras train
Petras has never lacked from ability. His issue has always been the mental aspect of the game, which results in the indecisiveness and poor throws you often see. I will hope for the best, but I don’t see Petras carrying this swagger over into conference play.

So, I’d pump the brakes on the “Petras train.” This is a bad bad bad defense, and Petras knows it.

Petras has never lacked from ability. His issue has always been the mental aspect of the game, which results in the indecisiveness and poor throws you often see. I will hope for the best, but I don’t see Petras carrying this swagger over into conference play.

So, I’d pump the brakes on the “Petras train.” This is a bad bad bad defense, and Petras knows it.
Oh I'm being partially facetious here but he looks sevicable tonight. Padilla isn't the answer I was at 2 of his starts last year and it wasn't good. Having 3 WRs back makes a difference and a Running Back.

Reactions: BBHawk
Oh I'm being partially facetious here but he looks sevicable tonight. Padilla isn't the answer I was at 2 of his starts last year and it wasn't good. Having 3 WRs back makes a difference and a Running Back.
And those receivers wouldn’t have made a difference last week based off the egregious overthrows by Petras. Again, the ability to make throws isn’t the issue per se. You have to be able to overcome the mental hurdles against defenses with a pulse, and to this point in his career Petras hasn’t been able to.

Nevada is terrible and Petras looks decent. Rutgers is 3-0 and we go there next week. With all the injuries if he looks ok and we win I'm all in on the Petras train
Rutgers could not score an offensive TD against Temple. So the game will come down to a defensive battle. I would say it's a 50/50 game at this point but not a definite loss. We REALLY need to get the run game going on a consistent basis. Petras looks much more comfortable with the deep ball. He played in a downfield offense in HS and did well at the Manning camp. Nevada is bad but even this game brings some validity that the offense has handicapped the QB play.

We definitely will not win the way we played in the first two games. But if the passing game can at least be pedestrian and the running game can give us 150 consistently we could realistically get to 5 wins this season.

I still think that Padilla/Labas would be a better option. Spencer is still not very accurate and is particularly poor at the short/mid-range passing game. Still think KF/BF are being arrogant @sses not even trying to see what the other guys can do.

The OL deficiencies are glaring at times giving some credit to what KF has been saying but he needs to open his eyes to the poor play before tonight, especially the TD/turnover ratio and low completion percentages.

Rutgers could not score an offensive TD against Temple. So the game will come down to a defensive battle. I would say it's a 50/50 game at this point but not a definite loss. We REALLY need to get the run game going on a consistent basis. Petras looks much more comfortable with the deep ball. He played in a downfield offense in HS and did well at the Manning camp. Nevada is bad but even this game brings some validity that the offense has handicapped the QB play.

We definitely will not win the way we played in the first two games. But if the passing game can at least be pedestrian and the running game can give us 150 consistently we could realistically get to 5 wins this season.

I still think that Padilla/Labas would be a better option. Spencer is still not very accurate and is particularly poor at the short/mid-range passing game. Still think KF/BF are being arrogant @sses not even trying to see what the other guys can do.

The OL deficiencies are glaring at times giving some credit to what KF has been saying but he needs to open his eyes to the poor play before tonight, especially the TD/turnover ratio and low completion percentages.
Padilla isn't good. It's Petras or bust. (Probably bust)

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power

I am not seeing the ability you speak of. He's not accurate with his throws and just being 6'5 and having decent arm doesn't say you have ability.

Petras almost airmailed Bruce on the TD when nobody was within 10 yards. I think Vandenberg threw 5 TDs vs a bad Indiana defense....most QBs can look decent vs a chitty defense. The good ones make plays on their owns at times....Petras has never made plays.

I am not seeing the ability you speak of. He's not accurate with his throws and just being 6'5 and having decent arm doesn't say you have ability.

Petras almost airmailed Bruce on the TD when nobody was within 10 yards. I think Vandenberg threw 5 TDs vs a bad Indiana defense....most QBs can look decent vs a chitty defense. The good ones make plays on their owns at times....Petras has never made plays.
Penn St 2021 to Nicco says woah

I have said it several times before. He has Steve Sax Syndrome.

Steve Sax was an All Star 2nd baseman for the LA Dodgers and out of nowhere, when making a simple throw to 1st base, he started throwing way too many balls into the dirt or over the 1st baseman's head. Sometimes he'd throw the ball into the stands. Sound familiar?

We might have not seen Steve Sax Syndrome in Spencer today but we know it is still there.

I have been on the Labas bus since spring. It is time for everyone to get on the (lay) bus.

Yes. He isn't the answer.
Labas is probably the best of everyone, but if it's between Padilla and Petras then definitely give me Padilla. Petras can only be halfway decent if everything is perfect for him. With this line, he will never be able to do anything. We need at least Padilla so that we can avoid the negative play drive killers that Petras give you.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Labas is probably the best of everyone, but if it's between Padilla and Petras then definitely give me Padilla. Petras can only be halfway decent if everything is perfect for him. With this line, he will never be able to do anything. We need at least Padilla so that we can avoid the negative play drive killers that Petras give you.
Nope. But is an eh to ehhhh comparison. I'm on record to give Labas a shot and we both know that isn't happening

I think Petras is still bad. I think we could have had 150 to 200 more yards. Several passes that he was behind the receiver and took away any YAC - maybe 40-50. Then there were several deep passes that were off just a little to Brecht and Bruce, although Bruce should have had that one, I think.

Man...I think you may be blind to Petras. He wasn't bad last night. The first throw to Brecht was there...the guy was holding Brecht's shoulder and didn't allow him to make a play on the ball. Should have been an obvious flag. The PI on Keagan in the end zone was a good ball...would have been caught if Keagan wasn't interfered with.

The pass to Jack Johnson down the middle of the field was easily catchable...Johnson has to make a play on the ball...he was late to adjust and then started falling down. That was ridiculous...you adjust to the ball and catch it.

The pass to Brecht in the end zone was catchable too...he never adjusted to the ball...it was like he didn't see it...or totally mis-played it. It would have been a good catch...but that's what good receivers do...they turn and go up and get the ball.

There were also 3-4 drops last night. Our receiver room isn't very good right now. Ragaini dropped a well thrown ball after allowing the guy to punch it out. He should have put that ball away and protected it...he just didn't see the guy. Keagan had a drop on a well thrown ball too.

Man...I think you may be blind to Petras. He wasn't bad last night. The first throw to Brecht was there...the guy was holding Brecht's shoulder and didn't allow him to make a play on the ball. Should have been an obvious flag. The PI on Keagan in the end zone was a good ball...would have been caught if Keagan wasn't interfered with.

The pass to Jack Johnson down the middle of the field was easily catchable...Johnson has to make a play on the ball...he was late to adjust and then started falling down. That was ridiculous...you adjust to the ball and catch it.

The pass to Brecht in the end zone was catchable too...he never adjusted to the ball...it was like he didn't see it...or totally mis-played it. It would have been a good catch...but that's what good receivers do...they turn and go up and get the ball.

There were also 3-4 drops last night. Our receiver room isn't very good right now. Ragaini dropped a well thrown ball after allowing the guy to punch it out. He should have put that ball away and protected it...he just didn't see the guy. Keagan had a drop on a well thrown ball too.
Some of your points are well taken, but dude, defending Petras is a fruitless endeavor. His body of work is God-awful, no matter how you slice it. Putting up mediocre numbers against the worst defense Iowa has faced since MTSU in 2019 is not some kind of coming out party; it just confirmed our fears.

Went to Rutgers the last time we played there. It was a very close game. I think something like 14-7.

What? I think pick six Rick threw 5 TD's (and 5 interceptions) against Indiana in the Holloween game.....

Petras has been barely decent. Missed open deep throws the whole first half. I guess mediocre is the new bar.
Was thinking the same this morning, I gotta think that the average college football fan must think our coaching staff is either clueless and/or the stubbornest coaches in organized football.🤪 As many have said, by all accounts SP is a great person who does his best, but sometimes you just need to cut bait…😎

Absolutely. The WR's didn't do much to help last night. The funny thing is the TD to Bruce was probably his worst long throw of the night, and yet Bruce pulled it in. That's making a play, and we need more if that....

Went to Rutgers the last time we played there. It was a very close game. I think something like 14-7.
Their best player (RB?) got injured late in the first half and didn't play the rest of the game. Don't think we had an answer for him that first half.

As I recall, PSU blew the coverage, Nico was wide open, and the ball was underthrown. And even if you give Petras credit for that one play, name a second one. Should be easy given his "body of work."
What would be the use. You and yours have already decided that no matter what happens you've made up your mind already. Guys don't get their blocks, its on him for not getting away. WR's drop balls that they clearly should have caught, then its on him because he didn't put it in precisely the right 6 inch square from 40 yards away, like you think every other QB does. Clearly, he's struggled. Not all of which is his fault. The conversation is pointless because your expecting him to be damn near perfect while almost everyone around him is struggling with their assignments. Its totally senseless.....

ADVERTISEMENT