ADVERTISEMENT

ASMOKE Portable Pellet Grill

ThorneStockton

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2009
I know there's a thousand grill/smoker threads on HROT, but I did a search for ASMOKE and found nothing.

This hadn't previously been on my radar until I watched a YT video of one of my favorite BBQ channels do a reverse sear steak on it. I pulled the trigger on this the other day, figured worst case scenario I'm out $150.

Best case scenario, I have a cheap pellet grill to play around with. I wonder what their long term model for success is, because I can't imagine there's a ton of room to make a profit selling just the grill? Maybe get people on the platform and make money on the proprietary pellets?

As a bonus, from what I can tell, since they met their fundraising goals, you also get some included accessories, 5 pounds of pellets and $30 credit.

Rivals keeps turning the link into a media:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asmoke-portable-applewood-pellet-grill

Reactions: GOHOX69
I am going to try the Alton Brown cardboard box smoker in the near future. Going to see if my hot plate will get the temp up high enough in the box.

Looks like a great item for tailgating ... if anyone ever gets to tailgate again. :oops:

Other than a small grilling surface it looks ok. You'll have to feed the pellet hopper pretty often.

It also is seemingly applewood pellets only, not sure I've heard too much about that wood type being used very often for smoking.

Wow...$150 is a pretty intriguing price point for a pellet smoker that looks well designed.

Here's the thing though...how well does it actually do a low and slow smoke? It doesn't look like it's got enough surface area to really do all that much meat, and I'm wondering how much smoking time you get off one load of pellets. If you have to reload pellets every couple hours, that defeats the purpose of a pellet smoker.

I haven't watched all the videos, but the emphasis really seems to be on pellet grilling rather than smoking. If it's not a legitimate usable, durable pellet smoker...well all of a sudden $150 for a portable grill isn't such a remarkable price point. The flavor advantage of grilling over pellets rather than charcoal is negligible on a quick grill cook, and might even be worse to some people. And you can grill on a much larger surface area, with a lot fewer (like none) moving parts to break, for a fraction of the cost.

Hell, the truth is, there isn't that much to charcoal grilling if you know what you're...you can get one of these for like $5, and I'm going to be able to make a pretty damn good steak, or grilled, corn, or most of the stuff they're showing.

Best-disposable-tailgate-grill.jpg

That's a little far the other way...but there are a lot of options if you're just talking about grilling, and I'm not sure I see the unique upside to this, other than maybe automatic start. And plenty of downside.

So in summary...pretty intriguing, low risk price, but I'd want to hear about really successful, set and forget, low and slow pork butts and ribs in a $150 pellet smoker. That would get my heart racing for sure.

To do sausages and boneless chicken breasts like the pictures? Not at all worth the hassle of moving parts and electronics. Plenty of other and cheaper ways to do that stuff at a tailgate or anywhere.

Wow...$150 is a pretty intriguing price point for a pellet smoker that looks well designed.

Here's the thing though...how well does it actually do a low and slow smoke? It doesn't look like it's got enough surface area to really do all that much meat, and I'm wondering how much smoking time you get off one load of pellets. If you have to reload pellets every couple hours, that defeats the purpose of a pellet smoker.

I haven't watched all the videos, but the emphasis really seems to be on pellet grilling rather than smoking. If it's not a legitimate usable, durable pellet smoker...well all of a sudden $150 for a portable grill isn't such a remarkable price point. The flavor advantage of grilling over pellets rather than charcoal is negligible on a quick grill cook, and might even be worse to some people. And you can grill on a much larger surface area, with a lot fewer (like none) moving parts to break, for a fraction of the cost.

Hell, the truth is, there isn't that much to charcoal grilling if you know what you're...you can get one of these for like $5, and I'm going to be able to make a pretty damn good steak, or grilled, corn, or most of the stuff they're showing.

Best-disposable-tailgate-grill.jpg

That's a little far the other way...but there are a lot of options if you're just talking about grilling, and I'm not sure I see the unique upside to this, other than maybe automatic start. And plenty of downside.

So in summary...pretty intriguing, low risk price, but I'd want to hear about really successful, set and forget, low and slow pork butts and ribs in a $150 pellet smoker. That would get my heart racing for sure.

To do sausages and boneless chicken breasts like the pictures? Not at all worth the hassle of moving parts and electronics. Plenty of other and cheaper ways to do that stuff at a tailgate or anywhere.

I've admittedly only watched one video and based on the dimensions that he measured and his own knowledge/opinion he thought a whole chicken would fit fine. A smaller flat or a point, definitely not a full brisket. Not enough height for a large pork butt. Could get 2/3 racks of ribs if cut or rolled.

We'll see.

I've admittedly only watched one video and based on the dimensions that he measured and his own knowledge/opinion he thought a whole chicken would fit fine. A smaller flat or a point, definitely not a full brisket. Not enough height for a large pork butt. Could get 2/3 racks of ribs if cut or rolled.

We'll see.

That's cool. I could see that working for some people, but that doesn't supply much of a tailgate. But maybe someone who is just cooking for a couple could make that work.

For me, if I go through the effort to smoke all day, I'm going to put more than that on there, even if it's just me and the wife, and eat it for several days. But admittedly, a pellet smoker is supposed to be so easy and convenient that you don't think that way.

Anyway, for $150 it's not like you have to use it all the time to get your money's worth. Just for the tech and cool factor alone I find it tempting.

I pulled the trigger on this. Wanted something small and portable and this looks really intriguing.

Mine arrived a couple weeks ago. Can't deny the convenience of a pellet grill compared to lighting charcoal and everything that comes with it.

Build quality seems ok to me. We'll see how it holds up.

Maintaining temp is a different story, there are times that the temp on the grate as measured by the Dot is 50-80 degrees warmer than what it's set. This is seemingly at higher temps.

Other times it can be set to 220 and it stays right around there dialed in for hours.

Small hopper could be annoying for people.

This is an hour and a half in, maintaining this temp in 43 degree weather.

Given the price, and everything included, I'm pleased.

Mine arrived a couple weeks ago. Can't deny the convenience of a pellet grill compared to lighting charcoal and everything that comes with it.

Build quality seems ok to me. We'll see how it holds up.

Maintaining temp is a different story, there are times that the temp on the grate as measured by the Dot is 50-80 degrees warmer than what it's set. This is seemingly at higher temps.

Other times it can be set to 220 and it stays right around there dialed in for hours.

Small hopper could be annoying for people.

This is an hour and a half in, maintaining this temp in 43 degree weather.

Given the price, and everything included, I'm pleased.

I still haven't received mine yet. Was hoping to get it when there was some warm weather left in the season

I still haven't received mine yet. Was hoping to get it when there was some warm weather left in the season

That's strange, I haven't been following their updates that closely. But I thought I was towards the very end of their campaign. I'm surprised you haven't gotten one, have you looked into their order update emails and what not?

That's strange, I haven't been following their updates that closely. But I thought I was towards the very end of their campaign. I'm surprised you haven't gotten one, have you looked into their order update emails and what not?

I found a FB group for Asmoke where some people with a contribution number close to mine haven't gotten theirs either. There are people who have ordered it on Amazon a week ago and have already received it. I guess this is the last time I do an Indiegogo campaign

I found a FB group for Asmoke where some people with a contribution number close to mine haven't gotten theirs either. There are people who have ordered it on Amazon a week ago and have already received it. I guess this is the last time I do an Indiegogo campaign

What is your approximate contribution number? This was posted by them 9/22, so it seems to me like every grill should arrive by mid October.... so right around now if you were among the last. Perhaps yours is in route?

"Our 7th Batch has officially shipped with tracking numbers all in and sorted. If your grill is before 6984, please check the following spreadsheet for your tracking numbers.

https://bit.ly/345W8V4

Our 8th batch and 9th batch is shipping out before the end of the month. We'd like to apologize to our Canadian backers as customs has been a long ordeal and process taking much longer than we had anticipated originally. All Canadian orders will be receiving their tracking numbers beginning of Oct. For all US grills 9645 and above, backers can expect them before mid-Oct by the latest. "

What is your approximate contribution number? This was posted by them 9/22, so it seems to me like every grill should arrive by mid October.... so right around now if you were among the last. Perhaps yours is in route?

"Our 7th Batch has officially shipped with tracking numbers all in and sorted. If your grill is before 6984, please check the following spreadsheet for your tracking numbers.

https://bit.ly/345W8V4

Our 8th batch and 9th batch is shipping out before the end of the month. We'd like to apologize to our Canadian backers as customs has been a long ordeal and process taking much longer than we had anticipated originally. All Canadian orders will be receiving their tracking numbers beginning of Oct. For all US grills 9645 and above, backers can expect them before mid-Oct by the latest. "

Hope so, would be nice to smoke something for the game Saturday. I'm in the upper 7000s

How has it been so far? Received mine last week, did the burn in and going to try some pulled pork this weekend

I'm glad you got yours! I remain very pleased relative to the price and my needs (don't need a big area). I love the convenience. I've done a couple of reverse sear where I let it take some smoke, then crank it up and move the cover to expose the flame and it's worked great.

Easy clean up with a shop vac.

Temp control remains fairly a bit hit or miss. I have had it set at 225 on the dial and my probe on the grate will vary from around 200 to up to 260. At times it will stay dialed in, other times not so much.

That said it's about 40 degrees here and some wind. That could be part of it.

Reactions: jaxhawk06
I did some pulled pork on it today, first time using it. The grill held up well and the pork turned out pretty good. I've never used a pellet grill before but man, does it create a lot of ash

I did some pulled pork on it today, first time using it. The grill held up well and the pork turned out pretty good. I've never used a pellet grill before but man, does it create a lot of ash

How big a butt can you fit on that little thing?

Internal temp probe crapped out, resulting in random shutdowns of the unit. Contacted customer support, they sent a new one, easy swap. Smoking some beef short ribs right now since the temperature is finally back to almost 60.

Got a 7 pound pork butt on sale at a dollar a pound. Going to try it tomorrow with some store bought "mojo" marinade after seeing it mentioned here a few times.

Try different pellets - some brands are ashier.

Reactions: jaxhawk06
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT