ADVERTISEMENT

Assad!

I know it’s going to be difficult to get him on the stand in March, it is for everyone, but damn is he fun to watch wrestle.
He's at a Big Boy weight as a True Freshman, some tough sledding to be sure. But he sure doesn't shy away from it, on the mat or in that interview. He's a goer and that's why he's out there.

Lujan schooled him pretty good at Midlands, and others previously while unattached, now that he's the guy the mindset is different and you learn and move forward. He's proven in a short timeframe he's going to be a handful for the next 4 years.

Im sure Venz was expecting a tentative AA last night. Even though the headlock throw didn't work, that was the moment he got into Venz' head and the whole match changed. Ironman has talent, strength and uncanny quickness, as he gets more confident this is going to get scary for others at his weight.

Venz is a stud...and Abe looked like the better wrestler. Only points off Abe’s home run attempt which would have been f*ckin cool.

I’m glad he didn’t hit it. Gives him notice that he has to work on controlling his body so he doesn’t roll through, and it let him prove he could out wrestle an AA, not just hit a big move. Add in getting a come-from-behind win and, honestly, it was the best possible match for him.

Assad was still in redshirt vs another redshirt. And he was wrestling another true frosh not a senior. And not an all American. And in an open tourney not 10K fans at CHA. But yeah.
The better comparison would be Hall's loss to unranked Christian Brucki at the MSU open early in the year. He was a completely different guy at the scuffle 2 months later where he dominated multiple AAs. I don't really chalk the Meyer loss up to early true freshman struggles as much as just a "run of the mill" carver upset.

We'll be even better next year, and PSU will be a little worse, losing Hall and cenzo. If TnT want to get the most out of Assad, they'll redshirt him in favor of Glazier/Kennedy. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

We don't need no Gol Dang Redshirts around here.............
images

Now we are getting to see what TnT were seeing and recognized in the room.

I’m glad he didn’t hit it. Gives him notice that he has to work on controlling his body so he doesn’t roll through, and it let him prove he could out wrestle an AA, not just hit a big move. Add in getting a come-from-behind win and, honestly, it was the best possible match for him.
Very good take on it, I didn't think of it that way.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I agree, but man if Abe lands that throw and sticks venz there’d be a lot of frozen Hawkeye fans in carver cause the roof would have been blown off!

I could see a RS after next year, wrestle Glazier and then bump Glazier after Warner leaves.
Glazier looks like he lets the fur fly much much more than warner. Warner gonna have to make a Pletcher type leap in offense this off season.... he’s solid be first period takedowns would make him a consistent top 3 threat

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT