ADVERTISEMENT

At a minimum we need a new O line coach.

TonyTheTiger.1865

HR All-American
Sep 23, 2011
Barnett has been the O line coach for two years now and they have been to worst O lines I have seen at Iowa. I know he supposedly knows how O line play is supposed to go but the final product on the field is a failure.

I have seen a lot of people sho could tell you everything you need to know about math but lacked the ability to teach anyone about it.

The bottom line is the product on the field on game day.

Hire the fVckin Minnesota O line coach, that was one the best blocking exhibitions I have ever seen.

We also cannot stay so small and undersized in the D line. You saw the results against a good O line.

S&C needs a hard look.

This x 10000000 . Some hires just do not translate and Barnett has not gotten results . Players usually take a big jump in the 2nd Year of starting , it has not happened , Players have stalled or regressed on the OL . That said nothing will be done with the Staff unless KF wants it done or someone gets promoted by another Programs opportunity .

I remain intrigued about the idea of bringing Joe Philbin back as OC. He and his wife love the Hawks and Iowa City, he and KF have a lot of respect for each other and keep in touch, dude has a ton of NFL connections, was OC the Super Bowl champion Packers…. Maybe make a deal that he doesn’t have to travel to recruit, and we might have a shot.

I've got no complaints with Braithwaite, missed timing is not getting bull rushed on the o-line. The d-line has gotten pushed around a bit, but by o-lines that are either transfer heavy or senior laden. Barnett might be a decent recruiter, but he needs walking papers at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and CaboKP
Thought he hated the recruiting
Didn’t love it — which is why I suggested we make him a deal that he wouldn’t have to travel to recruit. Could easily leave the travel to the younger coaches and let Joe help close the deal once recruits get to campus.

Probably a long shot but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility.

I think it’s hilarious that some of you think we’re magically going to bring in a new o line coach and it’s going to be problem solved. Because it’s not. The entire offense is broken, from the scheme to the players. I have no idea if this guy can coach the o line or not. Clearly the results have not been great. But in our best years we’re maybe (big maybe) in the top half of the league in rushing. We have bad QB play, very limited receivers, etc.
I know some of you will say our o line is young, but do we really believe that’s the problem? It’s a big picture thing. The offense needs a complete overhaul but we’re somehow going to win the West again and Kirk will be able to say he told you so. Meanwhile Phil Parker will continue to hold opponents to under 17 pts every game and should be given the keys to the city.

If (likely) Iowa beats Nebraska and makes it to the Big 10 Championship game it triggers bonuses for the coaches. Does Kirk bonus Brian with the second to last offense and Barnett with the worst offensive line in probably Iowa history?
If he does, he should be fired. Of course (wink, wink) Gary will make the decision for Brian.

Barnett has been the O line coach for two years now and they have been to worst O lines I have seen at Iowa. I know he supposedly knows how O line play is supposed to go but the final product on the field is a failure.

I have seen a lot of people sho could tell you everything you need to know about math but lacked the ability to teach anyone about it.

Hire the fVckin Minnesota O line coach, that was one the best blocking exhibitions I have ever seen.

We also cannot stay so small and undersized in the D line. You saw the results against a good O line.

S&C needs a hard look.
Most of the large defensive tackles that we lack are from the south. For some reason Iowa struggles to recruit size at this position even compared to other Bigten west teams.

The OL has been the biggest disappointment for me. We crank out a lot of NFL lineman and had way too many misses with that upper class. But I think next year, weakness turns to strength with 4 returning starters. Hopefully Proctor stays committed, lives up to the hype and takes the RT spot.

I made a post a week ago in a different thread about the OL. Why do people think that Barnett can coach? I read an article that said he played high school football for Wienke, the father of former Iowa QB and walk-on, John Wienke. John roomed with James Ferentz while at Iowa. I would guess that the two families got close? Wienke’s dad called Ferentz concerning the oline coaching position to put in a good word for Barnett. Lo and behold, he gets the job. This guy has a coaching resume of Indianapolis, Illinois State, Miami of Ohio, Grand Valley State, and Tulane. That’s not great. I think we have a pretty rich tradition at oline, and that’s who we hire?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I remain intrigued about the idea of bringing Joe Philbin back as OC. He and his wife love the Hawks and Iowa City, he and KF have a lot of respect for each other and keep in touch, dude has a ton of NFL connections, was OC the Super Bowl champion Packers…. Maybe make a deal that he doesn’t have to travel to recruit, and we might have a shot.
How old is he? Could he replace Kirk when Kirk decides to retire?

For S&G, just looked up Minnesotas OL average vs Iowa. Minnesota has 23 years of experience vs Iowa at 17. That experience and additional years in the weight room matter.

Really hard to say how much of this comes down to coaching vs inexperience/recruiting misses/relying on younger players. The OL did improve over the season.

I think it goes without saying that if we don’t continue to see dramatic improvement next year, then it’s time to evaluate our OL coach.

If (likely) Iowa beats Nebraska and makes it to the Big 10 Championship game it triggers bonuses for the coaches. Does Kirk bonus Brian with the second to last offense and Barnett with the worst offensive line in probably Iowa history?
If he does, he should be fired. Of course (wink, wink) Gary will make the decision for Brian.
why would they not get it?

I think the OLine has shown some slight improvement as the year has gone on, but I think the bigger issue is recruiting and personnel. This also falls under the pervue of the position coach (and the offensive coordinator). The reality is we just don't have division 1 players on our OL. It needs to be examined why we haven't been able to develop any over the last few years. I mean, we rarely have linemen who walk onto campus as a D-1 linemen, but we have a history of developing them into that. I'm not sure if the transfer portal is causing players to leave and we just don't have the time to develop them like we used to or what, but it's a serious problem if we can't keep those kids on campus.

• Haha
Kirk mentioned in one of his press conferences that he’s a big fan of Barnett. I’d be surprised he let’s him go since it’s supposedly a young group. If Brian can’t get a job in the NFL he’s here again next year. Kirk won’t put his son in the unemployment line.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
He’s 61. Would be a strong candidate to take over as head coach too. Don’t know if that would interest him at this point in his career.
So no offense, as he obviously has a really good pedigree. However, he’s currently the o line coach of the richest franchise in the NFL. Kirks going at least 4-5 more years. He’d be 65-66 minimum before taking over? I get that we want a better o line but that’s not a long term answer.

I think the OLine has shown some slight improvement as the year has gone on, but I think the bigger issue is recruiting and personnel. This also falls under the pervue of the position coach (and the offensive coordinator). The reality is we just don't have division 1 players on our OL. It needs to be examined why we haven't been able to develop any over the last few years. I mean, we rarely have linemen who walk onto campus as a D-1 linemen, but we have a history of developing them into that. I'm not sure if the transfer portal is causing players to leave and we just don't have the time to develop them like we used to or what, but it's a serious problem if we can't keep those kids on campus.
So I’m not going to believe that our entire o line is bad. Every recruit cannot be a failure. I mean I guess that’s possible but shouldn’t we be wondering why they are as bad as they are? Our zone blocking scheme hasn’t really been very good for quite awhile. Even when we have 2-3 pros we don’t go out and dominate with the run and average 200 yards a game. We are a team without an identity on offense. I know, we want to be balanced. However, I’ve never seen an offense just so ineffective 2 years running. And actually getting worse.

So I’m not going to believe that our entire o line is bad. Every recruit cannot be a failure. I mean I guess that’s possible but shouldn’t we be wondering why they are as bad as they are? Our zone blocking scheme hasn’t really been very good for quite awhile. Even when we have 2-3 pros we don’t go out and dominate with the run and average 200 yards a game. We are a team without an identity on offense. I know, we want to be balanced. However, I’ve never seen an offense just so ineffective 2 years running. And actually getting worse.
From what I saw, Minnesota was running a zone blocking scheme. They just did it much better than we do.

Reactions: cmhawks99

S&C needs a hard look.

Not sure I agree with the last two thoughts. I think Braithwaite has done a fine job, and it would be hard for me to ever criticize our defensive line based on the last 10ish years of results.

The OL however, yes very poor and Minne’s is sensational

Reactions: sober_teacher
I am happy to see a thread finally calling for a new OL coach. I agree that the last two years under Barnett have been the worst in Iowa line recent history. And about the recruiting, I am not going to look up all the past recruits, but I'll bet that the average star rating of our O line recruits is higher than any other position group for the last few years. It appears that we are recruiting decent potential but not developing them.

As usual it’s a good thing decisions aren’t made by the misinformed people on this board. The real facts are this …..I’m not saying coaching changes aren’t needed in some positions but most of our issues are caused by a young under experienced O-line. 4 underclassmen as starters on the O-line at this level is not a recipe for good things. So Minnesota line looked very good …..2 seniors and 2 grad transfers. Compared to 4 underclassmen. Our O-line will be fine ….they need time to mature.

Reactions: Norm26 and HawkOn15
As usual it’s a good thing decisions aren’t made by the misinformed people on this board. The real facts are this …..I’m not saying coaching changes aren’t needed in some positions but most of our issues are caused by a young under experienced O-line. 4 underclassmen as starters on the O-line at this level is not a recipe for good things. So Minnesota line looked very good …..2 seniors and 2 grad transfers. Compared to 4 underclassmen. Our O-line will be fine ….they need time to mature.
Look what you just posted. 2 grad transfers. And I’m guessing they aren’t getting any big NIL money. There’s more to it than just being young. This is a few years in the making.

Reactions: bradjens
When you have the next to worst offense in the country, and your OC is a nepotism hire, do you REALLY think people should just shut up? Do you really think there is no justification for calling for the OC to be fired? Join the real world.
No one is saying there isn’t room for criticism. It’s the part of our fanbase that’s so miserable that they can’t even enjoy the fact that we’re 7-4 with a good chance at 8-4.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I don’t think Jesus Christ could have made this OL very good. The ingredients are not there. I doubt it was Barnett’s idea to roll with a bunch Freshman and Sophomores.

Reactions: mlb1399
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT