ADVERTISEMENT

At a minimum we need a new O line coach.

Recruiting is coaching.
And I don’t believe our entire group of o linemen are failures is my point. Whether it’s coaching, scheme, some just not good enough, whatever, something needs to be addressed. And I fear that winning the West will be good enough for Kirk to say all is right within the program. Just need to execute.

So no offense, as he obviously has a really good pedigree. However, he’s currently the o line coach of the richest franchise in the NFL. Kirks going at least 4-5 more years. He’d be 65-66 minimum before taking over? I get that we want a better o line but that’s not a long term answer.
That depends on your definition of “long-term”. If he came in next year or so as OC, he’d probably at least coach until the end of KF’s career. That seems fairly long-term.

good grief... you all ain't happy if you ain't calling for somebody to be fired.
You happy with one of the worst Offenses in P5 multiple Years running? Wasting generationally good defenses Year after Year is not a desired outcome. Just sayin.. Iowa's defense and STs the last Couple Seasons is Playoff caliber and Iowa with even a competent Offense is undefeated going into the Championship Game last Year and is already locked into the West Championship this Year

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I think the OLine has shown some slight improvement as the year has gone on, but I think the bigger issue is recruiting and personnel. This also falls under the pervue of the position coach (and the offensive coordinator). The reality is we just don't have division 1 players on our OL. It needs to be examined why we haven't been able to develop any over the last few years. I mean, we rarely have linemen who walk onto campus as a D-1 linemen, but we have a history of developing them into that. I'm not sure if the transfer portal is causing players to leave and we just don't have the time to develop them like we used to or what, but it's a serious problem if we can't keep those kids on campus.
a team rich in offensive line play should not be needing walk on's playing and starting

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I am not sure technical coaching from the OL coach has anything to do with the OL struggles. Click on our 2018-2020 OL recruiting classes. Literally all of the OL recruits have not panned out, had injury problems, or are no longer here. We are seeing the results. I expect to see strides forward the next few years

Reactions: Birky
If (likely) Iowa beats Nebraska and makes it to the Big 10 Championship game it triggers bonuses for the coaches. Does Kirk bonus Brian with the second to last offense and Barnett with the worst offensive line in probably Iowa history?
If he does, he should be fired. Of course (wink, wink) Gary will make the decision for Brian.
He got a raise after having a horrible offense last year. This year is no different really, especially if the Hawks go to the BTCG.

He got a raise after having a horrible offense last year. This year is no different really, especially if the Hawks go to the BTCG.
He didn't get a raise, he got a cost of living adjustment which is standard for all coaching contracts. If you look at the percentage of increase for each of the coaching contracts last season, Brian's raise was significantly less than everyone else's.

He didn't get a raise, he got a cost of living adjustment which is standard for all coaching contracts. If you look at the percentage of increase for each of the coaching contracts last season, Brian's raise was significantly less than everyone else's.
Are you making this up or do you have documentation of this? My gut says it's the former.

Are you making this up or do you have documentation of this? My gut says it's the former.

"Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz featured the smallest increase, to $900,000, up from $860,000."

You were saying?

Reactions: hawkcub
I’m not sure another year will make a difference with this OL. They have really slow feet. Kirk better hit the portal hard for OL and WR.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I remain intrigued about the idea of bringing Joe Philbin back as OC. He and his wife love the Hawks and Iowa City, he and KF have a lot of respect for each other and keep in touch, dude has a ton of NFL connections, was OC the Super Bowl champion Packers…. Maybe make a deal that he doesn’t have to travel to recruit, and we might have a shot.
That is an intriguing idea. Maybe we're one hand short on recruiting but maybe he could make up for with offensive improvement.

It is hard to miss the decline in O line play began with the new OL coach.

If (likely) Iowa beats Nebraska and makes it to the Big 10 Championship game it triggers bonuses for the coaches. Does Kirk bonus Brian with the second to last offense and Barnett with the worst offensive line in probably Iowa history?
If he does, he should be fired. Of course (wink, wink) Gary will make the decision for Brian.
Bonuses are likely stipulated in the contract.

No one is saying there isn’t room for criticism. It’s the part of our fanbase that’s so miserable that they can’t even enjoy the fact that we’re 7-4 with a good chance at 8-4.
These are the miserable joyless ghouls that post shit like recruits shouldn't come to Iowa if we don't fire one or more Ferentz. They think 8 wins and a division title would be an unacceptably bad season at Iowa. They've spent the last four weeks predicting a loss, usually a blow out loss, all week long, and responding to Iowa wins with further and very personal attacks.

Of course the offense and O line play need to improve but that doesn't negate the wins and if Iowa wins the division, the division title. A life of that kind of negativity must be so ****ing depressing. Why do they even pretend to be Iowa fans or bother to watch the games?

yep... and while your pissin and moain... Hawkeyes will be headed back to Indy... just like last year.. and just like this year.
If they make it back and win the big ten championship I will never speak bad about the O. They get blown out again because the o can’t move the ball don’t you want at least a competitive offense ? I don’t get how blind people can be. I suggest you read good to great. Being satisfied with good prevents being great. Nothing wrong with hoping your team can be great. Like a great win today.

"Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz featured the smallest increase, to $900,000, up from $860,000."

You were saying?
You said he didn't get a raise.

I was saying that you pulled that COL statement out of the air. Where does it say it was a COL increase dictated by contract. And don't tell me all contracts have them. It's not a union position. Either provide proof or admit you don't know. I'm fine either way.

You said he didn't get a raise.

I was saying that you pulled that COL statement out of the air. Where does it say it was a COL increase dictated by contract. And don't tell me all contracts have them. It's not a union position. Either provide proof or admit you don't know. I'm fine either way.
It was an adjustment in that it was promised in every coaches contract at a certain date. Maybe not a COL adjustment, but a standard adjustment for many coaching staffs.

"Should Iowa win seven games, participate in a bowl and finish with a graduation success rate above 67.5 percent, the assistants will enjoy an 8 percent pay increase next season. If Iowa finishes in the top 25, it grows to 10 percent and raises incrementally to 20 percent should the Hawkeyes win the national title."

It's no coincidence that Brian's was the smallest by a substantial amount, both in terms of pure numbers and percentage-wise.

Continue to be upset about it if you want, but you asked for evidence and I provided it. He was certainly not given a raise for his performance like you insinuated.

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy5960
I remain intrigued about the idea of bringing Joe Philbin back as OC. He and his wife love the Hawks and Iowa City, he and KF have a lot of respect for each other and keep in touch, dude has a ton of NFL connections, was OC the Super Bowl champion Packers…. Maybe make a deal that he doesn’t have to travel to recruit, and we might have a shot.
IIRC, the coordinators don't go on the road to recruit. At least that was the case with Norm and Ken. Assuming that's still KF policy, then no special deal needed.

If they make it back and win the big ten championship I will never speak bad about the O. They get blown out again because the o can’t move the ball don’t you want at least a competitive offense ? I don’t get how blind people can be. I suggest you read good to great. Being satisfied with good prevents being great. Nothing wrong with hoping your team can be great. Like a great win today.
yea man... I'm going to enjoy this team this year... and same thing next year...
I'm not gonna piss and moan because >> I << want them to be better...
they want to be better more than I want them to do...

I'm just gonna support the team and the guys we got.
I'm proud of them... I think they've been great all season.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
It was an adjustment in that it was promised in every coaches contract at a certain date. Maybe not a COL adjustment, but a standard adjustment for many coaching staffs.

"Should Iowa win seven games, participate in a bowl and finish with a graduation success rate above 67.5 percent, the assistants will enjoy an 8 percent pay increase next season. If Iowa finishes in the top 25, it grows to 10 percent and raises incrementally to 20 percent should the Hawkeyes win the national title."

It's no coincidence that Brian's was the smallest by a substantial amount, both in terms of pure numbers and percentage-wise.

Continue to be upset about it if you want, but you asked for evidence and I provided it. He was certainly not given a raise for his performance like you insinuated.
I normally don't post laughing emojis because i think they're intellectually lazy but this is so dumb. I'm not upset. I just don't care for people like you throwing nonsense out. As I suspected, you pulled it out of your ass. It wasn't a COL adjustment as you stated like 3 posts ago. According to this verbiage you found somewhere, it was performance based. You just can't bring yourself to admit it.

BTW, math is hard. If Brian was contracted to receive 8% he didn't get that. Are you now going to argue that Brian gave up part of the raise he was due?

If he does, he should be fired.
Of course (wink, wink) Gary will make the decision for Brian.
It's been noted that it's a contract thing already. But he would anyway and you are correct he should be fired but for many other things...

I normally don't post laughing emojis because i think they're intellectually lazy but this is so dumb. I'm not upset. I just don't care for people like you throwing nonsense out. As I suspected, you pulled it out of your ass. It wasn't a COL adjustment as you stated like 3 posts ago. According to this verbiage you found somewhere, it was performance based. You just can't bring yourself to admit it.

BTW, math is hard. If Brian was contracted to receive 8% he didn't get that. Are you now going to argue that Brian gave up part of the raise he was due?
Dude, do you know how to read? It literally says each assistant gets those percentages based off of team achievements, not their performance.

I'll take the article backing up the fact that Brian's increase was miniscule and the least among the staff just like I said, over your "gut feelings".

Forget the fans, the players deserve better than to be part of the worst offense in D1.
so how is you pissing and moaning helping anything?

for me.. I'm having fun watching this team this season... just like all other seasons... but this one might be extra special

and my opinion of the Iowa offense is greatly different than yours.
I love the guys that are on offense... they fight and scrap for everything they can get.. like we saw against Minnesota, they came through in the clutch.

I'm proud of the Iowa offense.
and I have a lot of confidence in them moving forward to the Big Ten Championship.

so how is you pissing and moaning helping anything?

for me.. I'm having fun watching this team this season... just like all other seasons... but this one might be extra special

and my opinion of the Iowa offense is greatly different than yours.
I love the guys that are on offense... they fight and scrap for everything they can get.. like we saw against Minnesota, they came through in the clutch.

I'm proud of the Iowa offense.
and I have a lot of confidence in them moving forward to the Big Ten Championship.
How is you accepting the status quo helping? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
ADVERTISEMENT