ADVERTISEMENT

At a minimum we need a new O line coach.

How is you accepting the status quo helping? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?
for me... the reason I follow the Iowa Hawkeyes is because it brings me joy.
its fun for me to follow this team.
its just a game played by young adults, but I love the competition.
its fun seeing these young men go out there and fight their ass off for a victory.

and this enjoyment I get from watching them.. quite frankly helps me more than it could ever help them.

if it were to ever get to a point of pissing and moaning... I'd find a different hobby
life is too short for that kind of shit... and afterall... its just a game.

its fun seeing these young men go out there and fight their ass off for a victory.

and this enjoyment I get from watching them.. quite frankly helps me more than it could ever help them.

if it were to ever get to a point of pissing and moaning... I'd find a different hobby
...and the loyalty factor. The most important personal characteristic a person can have. I loved my time at Iowa. Five best years of my life. Loved the classes I attended, friends and fun during my time there. While not needed I appreciated the debate scholarship, and sure of hell appreciated the football players and coaches that earned the revenue that paid that scholarship and loved the chance to wear a black blazer and a gold and black (bow) tie and be an actual Hawkeye and publicly identified as such, even if was just in nerd world.

Loyalty is what binds us, defines us and upon which, to an extent, informs our every important decision.

You know what Brian Wilson said. If not, take listen.

Reactions: F5n5
For someone to say that a "$40,000.00 raise is miniscule" is crazy. The average Iowan makes barely more than that annually.
Most people don't get a $40,000.00 raise when they get a promotion, let alone for doing a bad job. Most people get fired for doing a bad job. I'd like to see Gary Barta's review of Brian's performance each year since he's his boss. For that matter, I'd like to see Kirk's review of Barnett's performance.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger.1865

Well, you’re passing and moaning about the fan base, so there’s that…

Reactions: F5n5 and littlez
If they make it back and win the big ten championship I will never speak bad about the O. They get blown out again because the o can’t move the ball don’t you want at least a competitive offense ? I don’t get how blind people can be. I suggest you read good to great. Being satisfied with good prevents being great. Nothing wrong with hoping your team can be great. Like a great win today.
what was wrong with the passing game overall we saw on Saturday?

Barnett has been the O line coach for two years now and they have been to worst O lines I have seen at Iowa. I know he supposedly knows how O line play is supposed to go but the final product on the field is a failure.

I have seen a lot of people sho could tell you everything you need to know about math but lacked the ability to teach anyone about it.

The bottom line is the product on the field on game day.

Hire the fVckin Minnesota O line coach, that was one the best blocking exhibitions I have ever seen.

We also cannot stay so small and undersized in the D line. You saw the results against a good O line.

S&C needs a hard look.
New DL coach wouldn't hurt either. Good grief, Minny couldn't throw at all and run for 350 yds.
Good thing we play offensively impaired teams. Minus Ohio St.

We are next to last in offense in the entire country. We need a new OC, the current one is a complete and total failure. This cannot be argued.

It won't be argued,.. it also won't be discussed, it won't be considered and it won't occur.

Reactions: littlez
what was wrong with the passing game overall we saw on Saturday?
That's a good question. And honestly the strength of our team is clearly our tight ends and they caught 9 passes between them. And obviously the huge play to Lachey at the end. We somehow scheme our tight ends open and basically most teams know that is all we have. I'd like to see a few more quick passes to our backs like we utilized Tyler last year but it just is what it is. I understand that our wide out's just aren't very fast or shifty and just don't really get open. I really don't see that changing unless Keegan gets healthy next year and Brecht gets fully healthy and up to speed.

I've got no complaints with Braithwaite, missed timing is not getting bull rushed on the o-line. The d-line has gotten pushed around a bit, but by o-lines that are either transfer heavy or senior laden. Barnett might be a decent recruiter, but he needs walking papers at this point.
Barnett is not the problem.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
If we weren't in the weakest division in P5 we would not sniff first place.
How do you feel about the ACC divisions or the SEC West? The SEC West has a great two team top end but the rest of the division sucks.

But, don't let actual success brighten your shitty attitude. We should just burn it down and start over with new coaches, so we could be like Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland, Purdue and Rutgers. Lots of coaching changes but not a sniff at the title game since the current divisions formed.

I remain intrigued about the idea of bringing Joe Philbin back as OC. He and his wife love the Hawks and Iowa City, he and KF have a lot of respect for each other and keep in touch, dude has a ton of NFL connections, was OC the Super Bowl champion Packers…. Maybe make a deal that he doesn’t have to travel to recruit, and we might have a shot.
Philiban is 61 years old and O-line coach for Dallas Cowboys. I don't know if he would leave

Forget the fans, the players deserve better than to be part of the worst offense in D1.
The problem with your logic is that the players are the CAUSE for why the O is so bad!

Should they fire themselves? ... or maybe just keep focussing on getting better each and every day?

Some fans are just clueless idiots.

For someone to say that a "$40,000.00 raise is miniscule" is crazy. The average Iowan makes barely more than that annually.
Most people don't get a $40,000.00 raise when they get a promotion, let alone for doing a bad job. Most people get fired for doing a bad job. I'd like to see Gary Barta's review of Brian's performance each year since he's his boss. For that matter, I'd like to see Kirk's review of Barnett's performance.
Can everyone please stop pretending that Barta has anything to do with Brian? It's beyond ludicrous.

The problem with your logic is that the players are the CAUSE for why the O is so bad!

Should they fire themselves? ... or maybe just keep focussing on getting better each and every day?

So coaching has nothing to do with it?

That is an intriguing idea. Maybe we're one hand short on recruiting but maybe he could make up for with offensive improvement.

It is hard to miss the decline in O line play began with the new OL coach.
The current data set is circumstantial, at best. Correlation is not causation.

I have hypothesized about possible deleterious impacts that Barnett's presence could make. I'm always led to the conclusion that if it's obvious and egregious - then Kirk will make a change at the end of the season. When it comes to line play ... Kirk IS a stickler.

Anyhow, the data set permits alternative conclusions too.

Last season there was also plenty of adversity on the OL - with Ince having mental health issues and Schott being injured. That forced the hands of the coaches ... and our lone veteran was Linderbaum.

This season, we against open the season with guys being injured entering the season. That impacted the ability for guys to get a head start on any gelling.

On top of that, we have a new C ... that often brings with it a transition. Then, to potentially make matters worse ... two of our most veteran guys on the OL ... DeJong and Plumb ... they haven't proven themselves to be the models of leadership and consistency that we need to be. So we're still stuck with a bunch of young guys who were effectively rudderless (at time) through the season.

The staff clearly has made personnel adjustments in order to find better personnel combos and/or to play to the strengths of particular guys. However, when you have change-ups like that ... it upends the gelling process. And, on top of that, promising young guys like Stephens and Dunker have been dinged at times through the season. That furthermore, undermines our personnel continuity too.

I doubt we will see a new OC if the Hawks win on Saturday. With that said I would propose we move current staff around with Barnett being shown the door. Move Coach Bell to offense and then Coach Nieman to head up the defensive line. I would then hire a legit offensive-minded QB and Assistant Offensive Coordinator. For 600k I would think we could find a quality person for this spot.

For S&G, just looked up Minnesotas OL average vs Iowa. Minnesota has 23 years of experience vs Iowa at 17. That experience and additional years in the weight room matter.

Really hard to say how much of this comes down to coaching vs inexperience/recruiting misses/relying on younger players. The OL did improve over the season.

I think it goes without saying that if we don’t continue to see dramatic improvement next year, then it’s time to evaluate our OL coach.
So you suggest that we do no thing for another year?

So you suggest that we do no thing for another year?
What do you think you’re going to do about? What have you seen from KF that would suggest he’s going to pander to a small handful of disgruntled fans?

My only point from an outsiders perspective is that I can’t tell if this is a coaching issue or if we had too many recruiting misses from 2018-2020. You could make a case that we need to re-evaluate our recruiting process but it looks like we’ve done well at OL from 2020-2023 with 4 4*+ players.

I also think people have to be realistic in that we sometimes have to rely on projects. Sometimes that’s Linderbaum and other times it’s complete misses.

ADVERTISEMENT