ADVERTISEMENT

At least we are not Oklahoma, yikes

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Really just started thinking about this. The hawks are at least in the game as in very close but not cigar putting the score at 20-14 against Mich, 9-6 at Illinois losing on a late FG, had the ISU game won but lost it.

I dont know if I have ever seen Okla. like this. I know some players left OU after Lincoln left Norman in his Caddie and I think some were top offensive skill players.

And OU hasnt played much defense since Stoops fired or lost his best DCoord who is now the coach.

I bet Venables cleans house with his defensive players after coaching defense at Clemson and seeing the skill and effort there.

Really just started thinking about this. The hawks are at least in the game as in very close but not cigar putting the score at 20-14 against Mich, 9-6 at Illinois losing on a late FG, had the ISU game won but lost it.

I dont know if I have ever seen Okla. like this. I know some players left OU after Lincoln left Norman in his Caddie and I think some were top offensive skill players.

And OU hasnt played much defense since Stoops fired or lost his best DCoord who is now the coach.

I bet Venables cleans house with his defensive players after coaching defense at Clemson and seeing the skill and effort there.
Oklahoma has been a football icon for at least 70 years bolstered by games with Kansas and Iowa State. Barry Switzer who won multiple National Championships said one of the best things about Oklahoma was playing Iowa State every year. They have been in several college football playoffs, and had a distinct image in a major geographical section of the country. Now they will be just another team trying to compete in a section of the country they are not a part of, the good old days are over for the Sooners.

We have enough to worry about without Oklahoma. We are a laughing stock!! I have more faith in Oklahoma than Ferentz lead Iowa. We Suck!!! Wait till OSU gets done with us.

The study of Oklahoma is interesting as we’ll have our own change soon enough. We’ve had 23 years of being, for the most part, a darn competitive, consistent, and respected team. To a large degree we’ve been spoiled - although we have certainly endured some rollercoaster spikes and troughs too. When KF finally does hang it up, even with the right hire, we may be looking at a major rebuild unless there’s a super smooth transition. We know he wanted it to be from KF to BF. Something more like KF to Woods would be more realistic now.

Reactions: SaladTossingHawkeye
I'd trade everything that has happened since Stoops and Ferentz were hired til now with OU in a nanosecond. I'd take Stoops right now in a nanosecond. Nothing will ever change that Bowlsby screwed that up royally despite Kirk turning out to be decent

But I am glad that Barta isn't dumb enough to join the SEC

I bet you'll see some staff changes real soon in Norman.
Yeah the head coach is a big time defensive coach but he does not have the defenders like he had a clemson so he will really need to recruit big time and change that culture of arm tackling.

And on the offensive end wow I think their qb is hurt but zero, zip against Texas which is not that great

Yeah the head coach is a big time defensive coach but he does not have the defenders like he had a clemson so he will really need to recruit big time and change that culture of arm tackling.

And on the offensive end wow I think their qb is hurt but zero, zip against Texas which is not that great
They were playing their second string qb who was a senior in high school last year at this time. They lost their starter when Lincoln Riley left town with Caleb Williams and Gabriel is out due to concussion protocol so they had no one else to play but the freshman.

All of you saying at least we are not OU, I can only shake my head and wish we were OU and their rich history of winning and doing what is best for the program. Stoops did hire his brother but eventually fired him because his defenses weren’t good. Stoops did what he had to do for the betterment of the program. It will be interesting to see if KF will do what is best for the Iowa Football Program or his family. I bet family comes first to him.

The study of Oklahoma is interesting as we’ll have our own change soon enough. We’ve had 23 years of being, for the most part, a darn competitive, consistent, and respected team. To a large degree we’ve been spoiled - although we have certainly endured some rollercoaster spikes and troughs too. When KF finally does hang it up, even with the right hire, we may be looking at a major rebuild unless there’s a super smooth transition. We know he wanted it to be from KF to BF. Something more like KF to Woods would be more realistic now.
The spoiled attitude is a loser's attitude. You stand on the improvements of the generations before you and try to take the next step forward. If you aren't improving, you are falling behind. If you're not innovating in a truly free market, then you are being passed by.

Iowa's defense is constantly making improvements to the base 4-3 and Tampa 2 cover schemes. Iowa's offense rarely makes changes to its base inside outside zone I-formation scheme.

Brian and Kirk know a lot about offense. They really do. But they are too stubborn, and are being passed by disruptive upstarts willing to experiment with change. This happens to all organizations when they become old and entrenched. Iowa isn't an exception to that rule. These organizations adapt or perish to the competition.

The spoiled attitude is a loser's attitude. You stand on the improvements of the generations before you and try to take the next step forward. If you aren't improving, you are falling behind. If you're not innovating in a truly free market, then you are being passed by.

Iowa's defense is constantly making improvements to the base 4-3 and Tampa 2 cover schemes. Iowa's offense rarely makes changes to its base inside outside zone I-formation scheme.

Brian and Kirk know a lot about offense. They really do. But they are too stubborn, and are being passed by disruptive upstarts willing to experiment with change. This happens to all organizations when they become old and entrenched. Iowa isn't an exception to that rule. These organizations adapt or perish to the competition.
Brian and Kirk know a lot about offense? Please let us know when they are going to show us.

I'd trade everything that has happened since Stoops and Ferentz were hired til now with OU in a nanosecond. I'd take Stoops right now in a nanosecond. Nothing will ever change that Bowlsby screwed that up royally despite Kirk turning out to be decent

But I am glad that Barta isn't dumb enough to join the SEC
Don’t let this bad team cloud your judgement, Kirk turned out to be a lot better then “decent.” Kirk has been a consistently good coach. Hell his success probably saved Bowlsby career considering the Davis-Alford Debacle.

I do agree I’d much rather have had Bob Stoops as the head coach, but there’s no guarantee he would’ve won more then kirk has. History shows that Oklahoma is a much much better job then Iowa.

Lincoln Riley knew when to get out of Dodge.

i honestly think he left USC because he thought not only could he win big there but it would be easier to make the CFP (the PAC 12 would be a lot easier to win than the SEC)

Now, in a couple years, he'll be playing tOSU, Michigan, PSU, etc. I wonder if he saw the move to the B1G coming.

That's like saying 18th century doctor's really knew how to bleed people and treat them with leeches.

Reactions: Cincy_Hawk
Oklahoma is having some buyers remorse at this point. Just like Michigan State. These Universities are throwing around millions of guaranteed money to these coaches and it is just plain stupid. There needs to be some performance requirements in those contracts. We are not communists, at least not yet.

Reactions: obfuscating
Don’t let this bad team cloud your judgement, Kirk turned out to be a lot better then “decent.” Kirk has been a consistently good coach. Hell his success probably saved Bowlsby career considering the Davis-Alford Debacle.

I do agree I’d much rather have had Bob Stoops as the head coach, but there’s no guarantee he would’ve won more then kirk has. History shows that Oklahoma is a much much better job then Iowa.
Would "above average" work for you then? He has won 58 pct of his big ten games with the benefit of playing in the big ten west half of his career. He has made 3 new years 6 bowls in 24 seasons. If you think that's great or something we will just have to disagree

Reactions: iasooner2000
Would "above average" work for you then? He has won 58 pct of his big ten games with the benefit of playing in the big ten west half of his career. He has made 3 new years 6 bowls in 24 seasons. If you think that's great or something we will just have to disagree
I do not think Kirk has been great in fact I said in my previous post he has been consistently good or as you put it above average.

Where we will probably disagree is I think consistently above average is the realistic peak for Iowa football. Iowa does not have the recruiting base to consistently field teams with elite talent. I still think Iowa can occasionally compete for and win big ten titles, but there are going to be down years like this year.

I will concede the one caveat is if Iowa gets its NIL game together it is possible they could greatly increase their recruiting profile. It is highly unlikely this administration (KF, his staff and Barta etc.) will put together a strong NIL program to compete against SEC schools.

I do not think Kirk has been great in fact I said in my previous post he has been consistently good or as you put it above average.

Where we will probably disagree is I think consistently above average is the realistic peak for Iowa football. Iowa does not have the recruiting base to consistently field teams with elite talent. I still think Iowa can occasionally compete for and win big ten titles, but there are going to be down years like this year.

I will concede the one caveat is if Iowa gets its NIL game together it is possible they could greatly increase their recruiting profile. It is highly unlikely this administration (KF, his staff and Barta etc.) will put together a strong NIL program to compete against SEC schools.
2010-14 Iowa averaged 6 losses with a 4-8 thrown in there and 06-07 they were 12-13 which doesn't seem too consistently above average to me. But he has been able to cash in on some extremely favorable schedules like 15 and 21 to raise that average. Again, I think a big part of that 58 winning pct in the bten has been the fortune of playing in big ten west.

Kirk has also been here 24 years so any issues with our brand are on him.....there's a lot of sexy things about Iowa football and he's done a poor job of selling that, going the other way in his "we're not sexy" approach. Of course we don't have recruiting advantages like sec teams but I definitely think if Kirk wasn't so stubborn and inept on O the last 12 years could look more like Wisconsin than what we've gotten

I guess it depends of one's definition of decent but yeah....overall pretty good and yes there's no guarantee Iowa would have done better with Stoops but I'd bet a lot of money they would have. Especially those first 3 years when Stoops had name recognition and nobody knew who KF was. Stoops took an Oklahoma program that was 4-8, 5-6 before he got there and they were undefeated national champions his second year. At a minimum the offense would have been a lot more entertaining and probably more successful. We should wait to see how Kirk leaves the program too as Stoops left his in great shape.

Venebales will whip their defense into shape and as I said if players do not play hard and tackle correctly, etc etc they will not start. I do not know what their defensive personnel situation is but I know OU has gotten weaker on Dee since Venebles left.

But to get shutout, wow , that is surprising for what they usually have for talent there on the offense.

Doesn't anyone hear think that Kansas st, TCU and Texas would not rip Iowa a new a-hole right now?...along with most of the big10. OU trounced Nebraska at Lincoln...in fact they held back the score the second half. Nebraska is currently tied for first in big10 west.....pitiful.

OU will be back soon...OU has top recruits coming including possibly the best high school QB next year in Jaxon Arnold. Let's not throw idiot stones at glass houses.

Fairly confident that OU would absolutely rail us still.

Reactions: iasooner2000

OU might be in deep shit.

I've said this before: Venables just doesn't come across at this point as an impressive HC and I'm not even talking the 3-3 record to start the season. When you get past his horrific habit of saying "you know" in every other sentence, you see a guy that just looks and sounds like a deer in headlights. He's finding out fast there's a huge difference between being a DC and being a HC.

He better figure crap out quickly because OU goes into the SEC in 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT