ADVERTISEMENT

At what point...

I’m no expert but I think he has NBA game. His 3 point shooting is really a difference maker. But I really think he could improve his draft status with another year. And I really think he enjoys playing at Iowa. Which is probably the most important factor.

He's the male version of Meagan Gustafson. Slow and no hops. Good college player but would ride the pines in the NBA. Europe will be calling in 2 years and not much incentive to head for Milan, next year. He'll be back for his senior year
Good comparison. Honest question, is Meghan a 3 point threat?

Reactions: crstuff
She’s developing it. I am beginning to think Garza might find a fit in the NBA. Just hope he loves college and his teammates enough to want to make a run next year. Could be a truly special run, this year and next.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yes. Definitely.

My opinion of his % of seeing him find a niche in the NBA after Jr year:

0.0% - start of the season
5.3% - 1st few games
24.7% - today

disturbing trend. :) It’s hard to picture his game in the NBA, but he is so damn good at it.

The nba is very different game than college.

Allot of nba teams dont run any sort of post offense and the rest don't do much. And that being said the far bigger challenge will be the defensive end.

Everyone on an NBA roster has to fit around the 2 or 3 scorers.

Itll be a tough fit. I have no worries about him leaving early.

She’s developing it. I am beginning to think Garza might find a fit in the NBA. Just hope he loves college and his teammates enough to want to make a run next year. Could be a truly special run, this year and next.

There is some concern in the hoops program about him grad-transferring as well...between that avenue and the going pro possibility, no one in IC will rest easily until he makes his decision after the season.

There is some concern in the hoops program about him grad-transferring as well...between that avenue and the going pro possibility, no one in IC will rest easily until he makes his decision after the season.
I understand the concern, but I have to think the idea of coming back to play with Bohannon, Weiskamp and CJ is also a draw. Honestly, that is looking like a top 10 team next year, right now. I suppose it depends on how strong we finish the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Is he graduating this year? I thought he was a true Junior

I don’t see Garza transferring, he likes being the man, a role Moss wanted no part of.

I don’t see Garza transferring, he likes being the man, a role Moss wanted no part of.

This. Garza isn't transferring. Don't think he's leaving early, but I can see him finding an NBA role. Just has a "different" skill set. Different can be a plus for teams and provide different challenges for opposing teams.

I don't see it happening, but he has made some pretty impressive strides. He's really developed a nice outside shot which certainly bodes well, and although he moves pretty well for a big man, he's still not what I would call fleet of foot. As others have stated, I don't see him transferring, but definitely see him testing the NBA waters and getting feedback from the process. It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think his Dad will likely play a major role in his decision given his involvement with Luka's career thus far.

Is the grad transfer concern hoops related? Not sure where he’d find a better opportunity than as the go to guy on a top 25 team, which has everybody returning.

There's at least 15 games left in this season, but if Luka comes back next year Iowa has a real possible chance to be a top 10 team next year and maybe a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. They could even be a better team then Tom Davis's first team in 85/86 season or make the final four and surpass the 1980 team's 4th place finish. and maybe be one of Iowa's all time great teams even rivaling the mid 50 teams or finish numeral uno in the Big Ten which hasn't been done since 1979. Hyperbole maybe, but Iowa will diffidently be one of the elite teams next year.
If Luka decides to forgo his senior season and if he is indeed on track to finish his education and graduate in May everything I've laid out is all for naught. It's as simple as that, but that's a long way off and I refuse to think that that might happen. Luka is a special player for sure and I hope he will think long and hard about leaving early and stick around for one more season to make memories that will last forever....

Last edited:
I’ll say this: He won’t find a roster in the nation as willing to feed him the rock.

Connor is the best post-entry passer in the nation—I don’t think that is hyperbole—and the rest of his teammates do a pretty damn good job of it, too. Major credit to Fran.
That's a really good point. We have several players who can and do make excellent entry passes to Garza and look to do so before they look for their own shot. That's rare.

By her senior year she had developed a solid mid range game, which still can be just as effective at freeing the lane if defenders want to guard her at the elbow.

Others who follow her would have to speak on how she's done shooting the 3 in the pros.

This. Garza isn't transferring. Don't think he's leaving early, but I can see him finding an NBA role. Just has a "different" skill set. Different can be a plus for teams and provide different challenges for opposing teams.
Marc gasol, or jonas valenciunas

Him and Bohannon a package deal. Both grad transferring to Kansas. Moss pipeline.

And what do we get in return for this great deal...Mr Dealmaker? I don’t believe either will leave as grad transfer or to test the pros.

He is great and the Hawkeyes would be really really good with him back, but to say he could make a similar jump from Junior to Senior as he did from Sophomore to Junior seems unrealistic, i mean unless he develops a 40 inch vertical by next year. He is great and has such few holes in his game now its hard to imagine him being hugely better next year, not saying he can't improve some minor things, but he is so good now it is hard to see him being a lot better.

Reactions: EKHawk and BondHawk
It’s an interesting question and I have mentioned the possibility in earlier posts that Luka leaves this year. I have also mentioned, I believe his decision will directly impact other peoples decisions at the end of the year. I think the possibility is very real that Luka goes early and that he is a first round pick. He’s getting tons of exposure and potentially a All Big Ten player and potential All American. If he and Iowa have a strong finish to the year including a sweet 16 run, his stock will be soaring and you have to strike while the iron is hot. Also, you want to enter the draft when the scouts still feel like you have additional upside. That goes away for a lot of four year seniors and a reason many guys go pro as early as possible. This team has a very good feel to it, tough, gritty, skilled, connected....those teams do well at tourney time.

Selfishly, I hope Luka stays. Absolutely a warrior!

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT