ADVERTISEMENT

Athletes may be at risk for greater illness from FLU - should they still play?

Some years we have 60000 flu deaths. Closing the country is absurd. The Spanish flu killed 30 million— that should be closer to the definition of a pandemic and not this. People running around with masks are silly , if it not a N95 mask it is not stopping a virus. Almost everyone dying has underlying health issues. Nursing homes are death traps.

Some years we have 60000 flu deaths. Closing the country is absurd. The Spanish flu killed 30 million— that should be closer to the definition of a pandemic and not this. People running around with masks are silly , if it not a N95 mask it is not stopping a virus. Almost everyone dying has underlying health issues. Nursing homes are death traps.

JFC, not even worth discussing with you...

...and take it to HROT.

Run around like normal and who knows where the numbers end.....

What proof do you have?
USC, Stanford, u Miami studies and on. Watch mortality rates in the general populace of the infected. Antibodies are WIDE spread according to these studies, meaning many, many people have had it and showed no symptoms. The mortality rate is very low for a virus that has no vaccine. Unlike the the flu, or fly which have multiple vaccines. Please do us all a favor and read the links. For God's sake, read the links above. Sheeple.

USC, Stanford, u Miami studies and on. Watch mortality rates in the general populace of the infected. Antibodies are WIDE spread according to these studies, meaning many, many people have had it and showed no symptoms. The mortality rate is very low for a virus that has no vaccine. Unlike the the flu, or fly which have multiple vaccines. Please do us all a favor and read the links. For God's sake, read the links above. Sheeple.
Not according to the mlb antibody tests, less than 1%.
Mortality rates? It's all just guesses right now. Tell our post politicians to do their jobs so we can see real factual numbers.

I just want to know when we’re going to have access to testing. There are so many people that say — I think I’ve had it. Countless others who didn’t have any idea they had it and end up testing positive.

We need testing.
Kim Reynolds has no symptoms but can get results in minutes.... Time for Americans to stand up!!

Reactions: HawkBlocked
And that number would have been much, much higher if not for social distancing - even the half-assed version we've done here. If we'd done better, it could be lower.

That's how minimizing risk works.
There is absolutely no evidence that social distancing does anything but delay the inevitable if you believe the medical community.
The stated reason for social distancing was to "Flatten the Curve" not to prevent cases of Covid 19. Now that it has become more of a political issue we hear that it is to save lives. People will continue to catch the virus and people unfortunately will continue to die. In the end all that social distancing may have done is (1) prolong the misery (2) prolong the time it will take to reach herd immunity.
Sweden did not shut down their society. Presently they are at about 350 deaths per million. The U.S. did, and we are currently at about 250 deaths per million. However many current predictions are that we will probably end up around the same level as Sweden. The big difference is that Sweden may have already achieved herd immunity infection levels and we are nowhere near there.

There is absolutely no evidence that social distancing does anything but delay the inevitable if you believe the medical community.
The stated reason for social distancing was to "Flatten the Curve" not to prevent cases of Covid 19. Now that it has become more of a political issue we hear that it is to save lives. People will continue to catch the virus and people unfortunately will continue to die. In the end all that social distancing may have done is (1) prolong the misery (2) prolong the time it will take to reach herd immunity.
Sweden did not shut down their society. Presently they are at about 350 deaths per million. The U.S. did, and we are currently at about 250 deaths per million. However many current predictions are that we will probably end up around the same level as Sweden. The big difference is that Sweden may have already achieved herd immunity infection levels and we are nowhere near there.
Flattening the curve IS saving lives. If more people had it at once, fewer could get adequate treatment. In addition, it buys time for them to figure out what treatments could actually *be* effective, rather than having millions of cases at once with no idea how to treat them.

Moreover, if we can delay long enough for a vaccine, there may in fact he hope for fewer transmissions.

Flattening the curve IS saving lives. If more people had it at once, fewer could get adequate treatment. In addition, it buys time for them to figure out what treatments could actually *be* effective, rather than having millions of cases at once with no idea how to treat them.

Moreover, if we can delay long enough for a vaccine, there may in fact he hope for fewer transmissions.

The curve got flattened. So much so that healthcare workers everywhere are being laid off and people are not seeking treatment for things they should, like childhood vaccinations. "Elective" surgeries, such as cancer biopsies or knee replacements, are not happening. Hospitals are not being overrun anywhere. In fact, most hospitals are less than 50% of capacity because they were cleaned out to prepare for the COVID cases that never came. The field hospitals set up around the country have been shut down for lack of use.

There is zero guarantee an effective vaccine will be developed. SARS in 2003 never got a vaccine. The goal posts have been moved constantly with this. First it was 1+Million would die no matter what we did in the U.S. We had to lockdown to flatten the curve. It was never positioned as fewer people would die, only that it wouldn't stress the health system. Continuing to lockdown isn't doing anything other than causing more pain and misery of 30M unemployed and other health issues coming up.

Good point, unfortunately I feel both sides have good arguments. No one wants anybody to die, but also nobody wants long lasting economic effects.

Good point, unfortunately I feel both sides have good arguments. No one wants anybody to die, but also nobody wants long lasting economic effects.
Having a bunch of people die would also **** the economy. And sacrificing a bunch of people for the profits of a few billionaires is disgusting. And as to the effects on the rest of us, the only reason it's a problem is that we insist on having a rube Goldberg machine for an economy.

Pausing the machine shouldn't break it. In practical terms, the physical and human capital underlying the economy* wouldn't go anywhere just because the non-essential people stay home for a few months or a year. And we can afford to feed people during that time.

It's a problem because we're idiots and built everything around people and businesses being up to their eyeballs in debt and used all the (imaginary) value of all the interest on all that debt to inflate the economy, so that pausing means a bunch of physical and human capital should change ownership and a bunch of debt is devalued, causing an imaginary deflation. Well, all of that and our culture has nasty attitudes toward poor people, so that we are unwilling to support people through a pandemic.

The REAL, INTRINSIC value of our economy would not be damaged at all with sane policies. But the bullshit of our economy will be in chaos and people will be ****ed because our government insists on letting us suffer if our billionaires can't exploit us for a few months.

*Meaning, the buildings and machines would be fine, the people would be fine and wouldn't suddenly forget all their knowledge and skill. There's no inherent reason we couldn't just restart and pick up where we left off when it is safe. There are policy reasons why we can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlickShagwell
I just want to know when we’re going to have access to testing. There are so many people that say — I think I’ve had it. Countless others who didn’t have any idea they had it and end up testing positive.

We need testing.

If you test and test positive that you at some point have had covid then your life will turn up side down. Everybody you live with and have hung around with will be scrutinized you and they will be forever in a new data base and depending on your case administrator such things like your credit card purchases will be investigated to see where you have gone and who you may have interacted with..... etc etc. Have fun testing though.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
80,000 deaths in 3 months is not significant to you??? That is US only.
One more thing it's May this virus has been around since December.
Having a bunch of people die would also **** the economy. And sacrificing a bunch of people for the profits of a few billionaires is disgusting. And as to the effects on the rest of us, the only reason it's a problem is that we insist on having a rube Goldberg machine for an economy.

Pausing the machine shouldn't break it. In practical terms, the physical and human capital underlying the economy* wouldn't go anywhere just because the non-essential people stay home for a few months or a year. And we can afford to feed people during that time.

It's a problem because we're idiots and built everything around people and businesses being up to their eyeballs in debt and used all the (imaginary) value of all the interest on all that debt to inflate the economy, so that pausing means a bunch of physical and human capital should change ownership and a bunch of debt is devalued, causing an imaginary deflation. Well, all of that and our culture has nasty attitudes toward poor people, so that we are unwilling to support people through a pandemic.

The REAL, INTRINSIC value of our economy would not be damaged at all with sane policies. But the bullshit of our economy will be in chaos and people will be ****ed because our government insists on letting us suffer if our billionaires can't exploit us for a few months.

*Meaning, the buildings and machines would be fine, the people would be fine and wouldn't suddenly forget all their knowledge and skill. There's no inherent reason we couldn't just restart and pick up where we left off when it is safe. There are policy reasons why we can't.
What do you consider safe? 2021-2022. We worked right through the pandemic of 1968 check it out 1 million people killed worldwide 100000 Americans and that's without inflating any statistics like they're doing now. I was 14 years old at the time and the world went on just like normal. As a matter of fact I don't even remember it. But all of the sudden now with social media and election year everybody wants to shut down until it's safe. It will never be safe.

I’ll summarize your stance and it’s I ‘fake care’ about lives and flattening the curve. My real sentiments are I want to see destruction and chaos because I’m some miserable person and want everyone else to be miserable like me.

I’ll summarize your stance and it’s I ‘fake care’ about lives and flattening the curve. My real sentiments are I want to see destruction and chaos because I’m some miserable person and want everyone else to be miserable like me.

That guy needs to put the pipe down and take his meds.

Athletes might have a higher chance of serious illness from COVID19 if they're currently asymptomatic because of the activity in the lungs during workouts/practices/games. The virus can more easily migrate from the upper respiratory tract (not likely to be life-threatening) to lower lungs (more likely to be life-threatening) during strenuous activity. Players in Europe reported becoming symptomatic a few hours after a game before sports were halted. The data did not state if anyone died, but permanent lung damage should be considered with athletes. Better to sit out a year than risk lung damage, if the disease is indeed more likely to cause illness in athletes.

We need testing.
You can personally buy an antibody test right now. Numerous private labs will do it for you.

Reactions: hawkfeever

What do you consider safe? 2021-2022. We worked right through the pandemic of 1968 check it out 1 million people killed worldwide 100000 Americans and that's without inflating any statistics like they're doing now. I was 14 years old at the time and the world went on just like normal. As a matter of fact I don't even remember it. But all of the sudden now with social media and election year everybody wants to shut down until it's safe. It will never be safe.

tenor.gif

Reread what you wrote. No mitigation in 1968 and 100,000 died. Right now we are in major disruptive mitigation and over 80,000 have died.

Reactions: spiderland
I went with wife to doctor yesterday. She thinks she had the virus in January and wanted an antibody test. Doc says ok and asked if I wanted one too. 10 minutes later we were tested - results in a day or 2. Of course this is in Arizona, so maybe big cities like Des Moines don't have tests???.....

Not to mention helping those with life threatening illness not covid19 related.
People can keep whining about the economy but we'd be a lot better off if we would have given people money instead of all the corrupt businesses.

Reactions: dbrocket
ADVERTISEMENT