ADVERTISEMENT

Athletes may be at risk for greater illness from FLU - should they still play?

One more thing it's May this virus has been around since December.

What do you consider safe? 2021-2022. We worked right through the pandemic of 1968 check it out 1 million people killed worldwide 100000 Americans and that's without inflating any statistics like they're doing now. I was 14 years old at the time and the world went on just like normal. As a matter of fact I don't even remember it. But all of the sudden now with social media and election year everybody wants to shut down until it's safe. It will never be safe.
Really we were keeping track of illnesses and deaths in December for this? I don't think so....

but I guess we can go ahead and count those months without counting any of the people.....
Even in February about people were buried from it that we don't know about

Keep talking about worldwide numbers. You think China's numbers are actually accurate? That is pretty laughable

Not to mention helping those with life threatening illness not covid19 related.
People can keep whining about the economy but we'd be a lot better off if we would have given people money instead of all the corrupt businesses.

It makes sense to whine about the economy, because that is what drives EVERYTHING. There won't be enough tax money to hand out to people, if we starve off 50% of the businesses in the country.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
It makes sense to whine about the economy, because that is what drives EVERYTHING. There won't be enough tax money to hand out to people, if we starve off 50% of the businesses in the country.
We can afford to lose some of these crooked huge corporations we are all going to suffer for them sooner or later. First one to go can be Amazon. If the airlines can't survive let someone buy them out of bankruptcy who can run them better.

People calling you a liar with no evidence is itself great evidence that they have no rebuttal.

We've lost many tens of thousands in about 3 months in this country alone AFTER doing social distancing. That number would be a lot higher otherwise. So, yes, it is serious. I seem to recall us invading two countries over less than 10,000 deaths (one of which we only pretended was even related).

Reactions: FlickShagwell
We can afford to lose some of these crooked huge corporations we are all going to suffer for them sooner or later. First one to go can be Amazon. If the airlines can't survive let someone buy them out of bankruptcy who can run them better.

You never buy anything from Amazon?

Not according to the mlb antibody tests, less than 1%.
Mortality rates? It's all just guesses right now. Tell our post politicians to do their jobs so we can see real factual numbers.

The House of Reps are all hiding in their basements. The rest of us yeah you go to work.

I just want to know when we’re going to have access to testing. There are so many people that say — I think I’ve had it. Countless others who didn’t have any idea they had it and end up testing positive.

We need testing.

You can get tested for antibodies right now. Labcorp offers them around the country. Iowa City has a test site (highway 1 and I80 interchange). This is not through the state. You can go online and get it set up. This is not the finger prick deal. This is a full on blood draw.

This is not to see if you have it at this moment, but to see if you have antibodies in you that suggests past exposure to it.

I went with wife to doctor yesterday. She thinks she had the virus in January and wanted an antibody test. Doc says ok and asked if I wanted one too. 10 minutes later we were tested - results in a day or 2. Of course this is in Arizona, so maybe big cities like Des Moines don't have tests???.....

Iowa City has a test site. Labcorp. Just as you mentioned. I believe they are affiliated with Walgreens. But this Labcorp site is a lab where they do blood draws. They are not doing a test to see if you have it currently, but a test to see if you had past exposure to it. Just as you stated.

tigers in the zoo and the First Dog were tested. My wife works in the ER in the largest Des Moines hospital and has been exposed to it and she can't get tested.

She can get an antibody test for sure. Would show past exposure to it.

Having a bunch of people die would also **** the economy. And sacrificing a bunch of people for the profits of a few billionaires is disgusting. And as to the effects on the rest of us, the only reason it's a problem is that we insist on having a rube Goldberg machine for an economy.

Pausing the machine shouldn't break it. In practical terms, the physical and human capital underlying the economy* wouldn't go anywhere just because the non-essential people stay home for a few months or a year. And we can afford to feed people during that time.

It's a problem because we're idiots and built everything around people and businesses being up to their eyeballs in debt and used all the (imaginary) value of all the interest on all that debt to inflate the economy, so that pausing means a bunch of physical and human capital should change ownership and a bunch of debt is devalued, causing an imaginary deflation. Well, all of that and our culture has nasty attitudes toward poor people, so that we are unwilling to support people through a pandemic.

The REAL, INTRINSIC value of our economy would not be damaged at all with sane policies. But the bullshit of our economy will be in chaos and people will be ****ed because our government insists on letting us suffer if our billionaires can't exploit us for a few months.

*Meaning, the buildings and machines would be fine, the people would be fine and wouldn't suddenly forget all their knowledge and skill. There's no inherent reason we couldn't just restart and pick up where we left off when it is safe. There are policy reasons why we can't.

A Government that had spent within its means would have been great huh? Maybe have funds banked for something like this? But nah.

Buffet says he is not worried because we issue our debt in our own currency therefore we just print to pay the debt. He says that works until you get massive inflation or people don't want your debt any more. Kind of the its good to be King deal. Until someone knocks you off the throne.

You never buy anything from Amazon?

Yeah the same Amazon that employs thousands and thousands of people. Liberals don't understand big corporations employ people, which intern pay taxes and buy things. It's called capitalism. Liberals want the government in control of everything and free shit for everyone. They don't seem to realize someone has to pay for it

Yeah the same Amazon that employs thousands and thousands of people. Liberals don't understand big corporations employ people, which intern pay taxes and buy things. It's called capitalism. Liberals want the government in control of everything and free shit for everyone. They don't seem to realize someone has to pay for it

Lots don't like someone who comes in and upsets the old ways. JC Penny and its same 1970s look and way of doing business. Hard to believe they are gonna file for bankruptcy. (sarcasm).

Yes it's so wonderful they provide so many non livable incomes and raise people's taxes because they take take tax money instead of paying it. Where would we be without such a great asset to our country!! Lmfao

Finally someone who can give a carefully reasoned explanation of liberals! You gonna give away all that economic knowledge for free?

Did you read the university studies I included in this thread?
Why, do they actually say anything meaningful? Did you? The only links I saw were to media articles about studies. Try reading the studies themselves.

Last edited:
Having a bunch of people die would also **** the economy. And sacrificing a bunch of people for the profits of a few billionaires is disgusting. And as to the effects on the rest of us, the only reason it's a problem is that we insist on having a rube Goldberg machine for an economy.

Pausing the machine shouldn't break it. In practical terms, the physical and human capital underlying the economy* wouldn't go anywhere just because the non-essential people stay home for a few months or a year. And we can afford to feed people during that time.

It's a problem because we're idiots and built everything around people and businesses being up to their eyeballs in debt and used all the (imaginary) value of all the interest on all that debt to inflate the economy, so that pausing means a bunch of physical and human capital should change ownership and a bunch of debt is devalued, causing an imaginary deflation. Well, all of that and our culture has nasty attitudes toward poor people, so that we are unwilling to support people through a pandemic.

The REAL, INTRINSIC value of our economy would not be damaged at all with sane policies. But the bullshit of our economy will be in chaos and people will be ****ed because our government insists on letting us suffer if our billionaires can't exploit us for a few months.

*Meaning, the buildings and machines would be fine, the people would be fine and wouldn't suddenly forget all their knowledge and skill. There's no inherent reason we couldn't just restart and pick up where we left off when it is safe. There are policy reasons why we can't.

tenor.gif

Reactions: dbrocket
Finally someone who can give a carefully reasoned explanation of liberals! You gonna give away all that economic knowledge for free?
Imagine the taxes we'd collect if we had employers that pay taxes and actually care about America and their fellow Americans! No let's just keep putting chins closer to world control....
Keep taking our tax money Amazon, pay none of it back and keep making bezos and China rich.

Btw how much do the majority of low wage Amazon workers pay in taxes(jack sh1t)? How much do they TAKE in government assistance? It's not helping long term, but keep thinking you're so smart lol.

Btw is a trump a liberal...he knows Amazon is not good for us and bezos is a disgrace to our country....

Imagine the taxes we'd collect if we had employers that pay taxes and actually care about America and their fellow Americans! No let's just keep putting chins closer to world control....
Keep taking our tax money Amazon, pay none of it back and keep making bezos and China rich.

Btw how much do the majority of low wage Amazon workers pay in taxes(jack sh1t)? How much do they TAKE in government assistance? It's not helping long term, but keep thinking you're so smart lol.

Maybe you have a point. I guess I don't really know what the workers make at Amazon or if they can live off it or not. If Amazon pay no taxes that is definitely bull sh**.

Maybe you have a point. I guess I don't really know what the workers make at Amazon or if they can live off it or not. If Amazon pay no taxes that is definitely bull sh**.

I agree. Amazon should pay taxes. What if we find that the president and/or his companies didn’t? Would you agree that’s BS?

And that number would have been much, much higher if not for social distancing - even the half-assed version we've done here. If we'd done better, it could be lower.

That's how minimizing risk works.
To prove your statement to be valid you must have a "control". Where is the negative control to say social distancing works.

Not to mention helping those with life threatening illness not covid19 related.
People can keep whining about the economy but we'd be a lot better off if we would have given people money instead of all the corrupt businesses.
Lol... are you drunk, or stupid?

I agree. Amazon should pay taxes. What if we find that the president and/or his companies didn’t? Would you agree that’s BS?

This thread is completely off topic, but Amazon pays taxes. They didn't pay income taxes because they SMARTLY reinvested and spend a lot of money on research.

Amazon paid no income tax for 2018. They paid a income tax for 2019. Still at a pretty low rate 1.2%, but $162 million>

They also still pay sales tax, property tax, employment taxes, social security, etc etc etc, which is a LOT of money.

Per the nurse in the family her hospital receives money for each death from covid hense anybody who dies from a various number of respitory or heart causes is automatically attributed to covid no test no autopsy. If you believe the covid 19 death count then all I can say is JFC.

Per the nurse in the family her hospital receives money for each death from covid hense anybody who dies from a various number of respitory or heart causes is automatically attributed to covid no test no autopsy. If you believe the covid 19 death count then all I can say is JFC.
That is not true.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
With no passengers, how do you "run it better"?

"It is true, however, that the government will pay more to hospitals for COVID-19 cases in two senses: By paying an additional 20% on top of traditional Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients during the public health emergency, and by reimbursing hospitals for treating the uninsured patients with the disease (at that enhanced Medicare rate)."
It's nice to have someone on the front lines, but that does not mean they know it all. The hospital may be getting a little more for a death because of COVID, but they would already be receiving something regardless

Some years we have 60000 flu deaths. Closing the country is absurd. The Spanish flu killed 30 million— that should be closer to the definition of a pandemic and not this. People running around with masks are silly , if it not a N95 mask it is not stopping a virus. Almost everyone dying has underlying health issues. Nursing homes are death traps.

Do we know how many of the 80k+ deaths in the US are in nursing homes? I know it's a lot, but is it a majority? Seems like a lot of the deaths are from bad mitigation efforts in nursing homes (e.g. Cuomo's stupid order that infected nursing home patients must go back to their nursing homes - he just got around to changing that policy this week).

Also, someone on here posted something about asymptomatic transmission either not really possible or significant less risky vs. symptomatic transmission. Is that true?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT