ADVERTISEMENT

Athletes you didn't like growing up but do now

Bro D

HB Legend
Nov 17, 2003
First ones off the top of my head were Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley.

Whacha got

Reactions: Tom Paris
I never disliked Tom Watson, but I met him a few weeks ago and instantly developed a man crush, asked him for some swing tips and he graciously had a down to earth conversation with me about the golf grip. Took a photo with him. I have turned into an amateur Tom Watson historian since I met him and yell “Tommy” after every good golf shot I hit now.

Tim Tebow

may tim tebow GIF

I never disliked Tom Watson, but I met him a few weeks ago and instantly developed a man crush, asked him for some swing tips and he graciously had a down to earth conversation with me about the golf grip. Took a photo with him. I have turned into an amateur Tom Watson historian since I met him and yell “Tommy” after every good golf shot I hit now.
I have a picture on my downstairs mantle I took of him and Jack on either side and talking to a member of Augusta National wearing his jacket. Tee box on the par 3 course. Best pic I have ever taken.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Followed Tom, Fred Couple and Greg Norman at the TPC back in the 80s. Tom beat both their brains in on the round and was just such a cool guy. Fred had a bad day but was still gracious. Norman was a grade A asshat.

Jack Nicklaus. When he started out winning so consistently, he took away the aura of my childhood favorite, Arnold Palmer. But damn, I eventually had to recognize he was as good as it gets on a golf course.

Then when he had family start playing football at FSU, that was just icing on the cake.

Steve Superior. Despised him as a player, primarily due to his being a Stinkin' Gator. Then, as a coach, he personified the term "asshat". But after his failure with the pros and his return to college coaching, he seemed calmer and more refined.

There's a story out there of how he paved the way for Lou Holtz's wife to get her cancer treatment at Shands that really changed my thinking on him.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Tommy Lasorda. Couldn't stand him and his nice pants every time he was on TV. Then met him one night at an Atlanta restaurant, and what a storyteller he was.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Followed Tom, Fred Couple and Greg Norman at the TPC back in the 80s. Tom beat both their brains in on the round and was just such a cool guy. Fred had a bad day but was still gracious. Norman was a grade A asshat.
The funny thing is I have heard multiple times how terrible all 3 of those guys are. Norman was my favorite at the time, but he went the opposite…I can’t stand him now.

Tommy Lasorda. Couldn't stand him and his nice pants every time he was on TV. Then met him one night at an Atlanta restaurant, and what a storyteller he was.
Lasorda got my dad into a nice restaurant one night. Iirc, dad didn’t have a tie and Lasorda basically pulled a “He’s with me.”

Reactions: pink shizzle
I can only think of one Frank Gore Miami-
The guy was hurt most of his college career, but he played for the Canes and scored the winning TD in 04 to beat us, so I hated him.

Considering the injuries he battled through in college and the pros and still having that lengthy of a career and being that consistent, I have a high level of respect for the player. But I will not say I "like" him because of the um association.

It's rare that I end up liking anyone from iowa state but i do like Purdy, Montgomery and Halliburton now

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Gronk

Wasn't actually "growing up" during his career, per se, but he was a great player and is just kind of a funny goofball. I now regret that he was injured and didn't play when Arizona came to Kinnick in 2009.

Reactions: pink shizzle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT