ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Dept Expenses for Nutrition

twindman

HB MVP
Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
Under the new rules for NCAA, schools can now give more meals, snacks etc to athletes. Barta says Iowa will spend $500,000 to $750,000 more this year. Meanwhile Wisconsin is spending $1.2 million extra. I assume we have as many sports and athletes as Wisky. I thought our budget was as large as most except Ohio and Mich. So are we going to get further behind Wisky and others?
By the way, USA Today had a big article on this with details of what they are now doing vs. previous years.

Barta is limiting all future food purchases to ALDI. Might allow our athletes to go to Costco to pick up a twin 32 oz parmesan cheese package for their spaghetti though, which is nice.

Under the new rules for NCAA, schools can now give more meals, snacks etc to athletes. Barta says Iowa will spend $500,000 to $750,000 more this year. Meanwhile Wisconsin is spending $1.2 million extra. I assume we have as many sports and athletes as Wisky. I thought our budget was as large as most except Ohio and Mich. So are we going to get further behind Wisky and others?
By the way, USA Today had a big article on this with details of what they are now doing vs. previous years.
Barta only giving the kids three meals a day, they are not giving them money to buy extra food or supply them extra meals outside of there three meals a day. So Barta not doing what all the other D1 schools are doing!!

But they are providing "Refueling Stations" at workout areas, etc. So 3 meals, snacks at workouts (energy bars, etc). They should be able to keep up their stamina with this!!

Barta only giving the kids three meals a day, they are not giving them money to buy extra food or supply them extra meals outside of there three meals a day. So Barta not doing what all the other D1 schools are doing!!

Just another example of the athletic department really thinking inside the box on this one. I've read that several schools including Kentucky and Oklahoma have purchased food trucks so that they can go around and serve athletes wherever they can be found. At Iowa you can grab a powerbar after your workout. But as we all know this stuff and alternative uniforms are of no interest to high level recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatsFootball
Just another example of the athletic department really thinking inside the box on this one. I've read that several schools including Kentucky and Oklahoma have purchased food trucks so that they can go around and serve athletes wherever they can be found. At Iowa you can grab a powerbar after your workout. But as we all know this stuff and alternative uniforms are of no interest to high level recruits.
The boys can grab a lot more than Powerbars. Their nutrition stations are fully stocked with freshly catered in food daily, in the FB complex they can make protein shakes, and all sorts of catered in food is available for them to eat on the go or there. The academic support building even has nutrition stations. From what I have seen, there are plenty of wonderful options in many locations.

Reactions: Quadhawk
The boys can grab a lot more than Powerbars. Their nutrition stations are fully stocked with freshly catered in food daily, in the FB complex they can make protein shakes, and all sorts of catered in food is available for them to eat on the go or there. The academic support building even has nutrition stations. From what I have seen, there are plenty of wonderful options in many locations.

There are things to complain about. This isn't one them. I couldn't care less if some other schools have a food truck. As long as our players are receiving extra food and are maintaining a diet that helps them excel on the field. We are spending extra money so I don't get the complaints.

Its gotten to the point that the negative crowd will bitch about anything. If you want to complain about something bitch about the offesive scheme and its lack of production. That's a legitimate gripe.

Reactions: fbmom73
Where all these spending figures ARE relevant is in recruiting and what the players receive as stipends. It affects their perceived experience at each university that recruits them. With what we make in athletic income at Iowa, we can afford to pay in the top twenty at least in the nation to help get some of the elite athletes to give us a look.

You need to get up to speed with what what's happening in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT