ADVERTISEMENT

Attention QC area pizza lovers that aren't fans of actual QC style pizza . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Despite the absurdity of your diminished palates preventing you from enjoying one of the greatest foodstuffs on planet Earth, you do have a new alternative in downtown Moline:

307127438_507965431334371_6079056343959042716_n.jpg

I've had the pizza and sandwiches from the former location on 7th Street and it's all very solid. Excellent Italian beef sammies and solid deep dish if you're into that. Their thinner, Chicago tavern style is also excellent.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Always such a stupid argument.

There is no one way to make a pizza.

Pizza is a food construction made of dough/crust, cheese, sauce and toppings.

The fact you can adjust the number of ingredients and their relative ratios to concoct literally hundreds of different styles, flavors and types of delicious food stuffs should be CELEBRATED not denigrated.

Stewart (and you, by proxy) are pizza elitist snobs. And flat out wrong.

The deep dish doesn't look like deep dish and the tavern style doesn't look like tavern style, what am I missing?

The fact you can adjust the number of ingredients and their relative ratios to concoct literally hundreds of different styles, flavors and types of delicious food stuffs should be CELEBRATED not denigrated.

I actually like Chicago-style deep dish. It’s not my favorite. Probably not even in my top five. But it’s good and I enjoy eating it a couple times a year.

But Stewart’s rant was still pretty funny.

I actually like Chicago-style deep dish. It’s not my favorite. Probably not even in my top five. But it’s good and I enjoy eating it a couple times a year.

But Stewart’s rant was still pretty funny.
He is a very funny man.

On this topic, however, he is dead wrong. :)

I also get annoyed at people bitching about "authentic tacos" versus "white people tacos" etc.

For the love of God, man, anytime you take tortillas, delicious meat, cheese and other ingredients and top it with salsa or cream cheese or any number of other things IT'S GOING TO TASTE AWESOME!

Too much bitching, too little eating.

Also, this is why I'm chubby. 😁

Despite the absurdity of your diminished palates preventing you from enjoying one of the greatest foodstuffs on planet Earth, you do have a new alternative in downtown Moline:

307127438_507965431334371_6079056343959042716_n.jpg

I've had the pizza and sandwiches from the former location on 7th Street and it's all very solid. Excellent Italian beef sammies and solid deep dish if you're into that. Their thinner, Chicago tavern style is also excellent.
I was disappointed the one in Davenport closed because it was definitely in the rotation.

Reactions: Madman_1 and torbee
excellent, good to see a non-QC joint expanding! maybe one day that crap pie will become extinct.

Tony's is just OK, but that should be a good location for them.

Not sure, but I've had both and they are good. And the deep dish is definitely deep dish. Tavern may be stretching the definition a bit, but it's a solid thin pie.

Deep dish has changed significantly from when I was a kid. The cheese was incidental to a thicker crust and more (milder) sauce. The sauce itself used to be about 3/8" thick and somewhat burnt on top. Now (and I'm referring to the bigger names in Chicago), you're getting a thinner crust, a ton of cheese, and less sauce. The proportions and flavor have changed to meet everybody thinking tomato = zesty

The only one that I've had in the last 10 years that still gets the proportions right, though not the sauce, is Beggars and to my knowledge, is a south suburban chain.

Deep dish has changed significantly from when I was a kid. The cheese was incidental to a thicker crust and more (milder) sauce. The sauce itself used to be about 3/8" thick and somewhat burnt on top. Now (and I'm referring to the bigger names in Chicago), you're getting a thinner crust, a ton of cheese, and less sauce. The proportions and flavor have changed to meet everybody thinking tomato = zesty

The only one that I've had in the last 10 years that still gets the proportions right, though not the sauce, is Beggars and to my knowledge, is a south suburban chain.
I liked Nancy's when they had one in the QC. I liked that they were much heavier on the sauce than the cheese.

Here is an actual pic from Yelp of a Tony's deep dish, it looks pretty sauce-centric to me.

authentic-chicago-pizza.jpg

Reactions: EasyHawk
I am likely wrong, but it is my understanding that, with deep dish pizza, there really isn't much of an interest in perfecting the flavor and texture of the crust. The crust just seems to be a mechanism to keep the fillings in place. With NY-style there is an entire science and study devoted to just the dough for the pizza.

I am likely wrong, but it is my understanding that, with deep dish pizza, there really isn't much of an interest in perfecting the flavor and texture of the crust. The crust just seems to be a mechanism to keep the fillings in place. With NY-style there is an entire science and study devoted to just the dough for the pizza.
You are right, that you are wrong ;)

The best Chicago style deep dish have a buttery, flaky crust.

The starting point for any pizza is, unsurprisingly, the dough. As we’ve established, the crust of a deep-dish pizza is very different from the dough of a New York- or Italian-style pizza. Whilst these flatter incarnations only have dough on the bottom of the pizza, a Chicago style pizza has a crust that covers the side, too. And that structural difference requires the dough to be flakey and crispy.

Enter: fat.

Most regular pizza doughs contain very little or no fat. Instead, they’re made from flour, water, yeast – and occasionally, olive oil – which gives them that familiar bread-like texture. Conversely, a deep-dish pizza dough is almost a dough-pastry hybrid, with a high fat-to-flour ratio, which comes from the inclusion of corn oil or butter. This works well for two main reasons: First, fat gives the dough a stronger structure, meaning that the dough can be used to make the sides of the pizza. Secondly, fat is critical for keeping the base of the pizza nice and crispy. For anyone who’s watched the Great British Baking Show, you’ll know that a fundamental no-go in the world of baking is a soggy bottom – and that’s also true for a pizza. The high fat composition of a deep-dish dough means that the fat can coat a high proportion of the flour particles. Because fat repels moisture, this stops the liquid in the sauce from seeping into the dough. As a result, the crust stays crispy on the bottom, and the sauce stays in the pizza, where we want it to be.

I liked Nancy's when they had one in the QC. I liked that they were much heavier on the sauce than the cheese.

Here is an actual pic from Yelp of a Tony's deep dish, it looks pretty sauce-centric to me.

authentic-chicago-pizza.jpg

Kinda fits what i'm getting at - too thin of a sauce with too many herbs

I'll give the QC points for trying improve on the perfection that is QC style pizza

Is Nancy's Pizzeria still around in Chicago?

Where did it fall on your rating scale?

Never went, that was mostly a south suburban thing when I was growing up

Competition seems to bring out a better pizza so for my money, I'd draw a 1 mile radius around Berwyn and another one around Park Ridge

You are right, that you are wrong ;)

The best Chicago style deep dish have a buttery, flaky crust.

The starting point for any pizza is, unsurprisingly, the dough. As we’ve established, the crust of a deep-dish pizza is very different from the dough of a New York- or Italian-style pizza. Whilst these flatter incarnations only have dough on the bottom of the pizza, a Chicago style pizza has a crust that covers the side, too. And that structural difference requires the dough to be flakey and crispy.

Enter: fat.

Most regular pizza doughs contain very little or no fat. Instead, they’re made from flour, water, yeast – and occasionally, olive oil – which gives them that familiar bread-like texture. Conversely, a deep-dish pizza dough is almost a dough-pastry hybrid, with a high fat-to-flour ratio, which comes from the inclusion of corn oil or butter. This works well for two main reasons: First, fat gives the dough a stronger structure, meaning that the dough can be used to make the sides of the pizza. Secondly, fat is critical for keeping the base of the pizza nice and crispy. For anyone who’s watched the Great British Baking Show, you’ll know that a fundamental no-go in the world of baking is a soggy bottom – and that’s also true for a pizza. The high fat composition of a deep-dish dough means that the fat can coat a high proportion of the flour particles. Because fat repels moisture, this stops the liquid in the sauce from seeping into the dough. As a result, the crust stays crispy on the bottom, and the sauce stays in the pizza, where we want it to be.

No. That write up supports my opinion that the crust is just there to keep the fillings in place. There is no cold-fermentation or discussion of the type of flour (00) to use.

Well there is a lot of art and science to making it right, so it is more than a mere "toppings and cheese" holder.
I get that and I'm not suggesting deep dish in inferior. It's just different. I have never endeavored to make a deep dish pizza, however, not too long ago I told my wife that I was going to take a shot at it when the weather cools down. In the meantime, I really enjoy trying to make good NY - style pizza. The last batch I made I cold-fermented the dough for 3 days and cooked them in my outdoor pizza oven using hickory. I need help/practice on forming the pizza.

No. That write up supports my opinion that the crust is just there to keep the fillings in place. There is no cold-fermentation or discussion of the type of flour (00) to use.

I hate to burst your bubble but there is no discussion on the type of flour or fermentation going on at 99.99% of new york pizza places and the places that do get into that are catering to either tourists or the 23 year old wall street crowd that just wants to spend money.

My understanding is that the thing that makes Chicago pizza crust unique, tavern or deep dish, is a combo of lake michigan water and what chicago treats it with to prevent its lead pipes from seeping lead into the drinking water. fwiw, here is the original chicago deep dish recipe that some moron at Uno's corporate decided to publish a dozen years ago -

I get that and I'm not suggesting deep dish in inferior. It's just different. I have never endeavored to make a deep dish pizza, however, not too long ago I told my wife that I was going to take a shot at it when the weather cools down. In the meantime, I really enjoy trying to make good NY - style pizza. The last batch I made I cold-fermented the dough for 3 days and cooked them in my outdoor pizza oven using hickory. I need help/practice on forming the pizza.
To be less facetious for a moment, my understanding is that the "art" of making a good Chicago style crust is getting the right amount of flour-to-butter/oil ratio so that you get a nice, flaky crust that will brown up and be flavorful while still being robust enough to handle a LOT of heavy cheese, sauce and ingredients.

I imagine there are debates/technique discussions every bit as intense as those around NYC style.

Most typically, I prefer thin crust. But every once in awhile I get a craving for Chicago deep dish, and it seldom disappoints.

Not sure, but I've had both and they are good. And the deep dish is definitely deep dish. Tavern may be stretching the definition a bit, but it's a solid thin pie.
I thought their deep dish was closer to Geno's East because it had cornmeal in the crust. At least that's what it reminded me of.

Agreed. That was one time the love for QC style by our denizens kinda pissed me off. Wish Nancy's had made a go of it here!
I still wish you liked Alfano's as much as I do. I even love how soft their onions and peppers are - I assume they blanch them for a bit before they add them to the pizza. Both styles of their pizza are my all time favorites. There's so much cheese in their Chicago style it will get caught in your tonsils!

I still wish you liked Alfano's as much as I do. I even love how soft their onions and peppers are - I assume they blanch them for a bit before they add them to the pizza. Both styles of their pizza are my all time favorites. There's so much cheese in their Chicago style it will get caught in your tonsils!
Every time I've had it from RI the cheese is SUPER rubbery. Like, unpleasantly rubbery.

Maybe bad luck? But I've tried twice.

Someone should etch this into granite and put it in town squares all across this great country. All pizza rocks. Albeit, qca pizza rocks harder. And Stewart is a fool for knocking Chicago style. Dumb. Even in Naples, they'd be snarling different pizza styles.

Someone should etch this into granite and put it in town squares all across this great country. All pizza rocks. Albeit, qca pizza rocks harder. And Stewart is a fool for knocking Chicago style. Dumb. Even in Naples, they'd be snarling different pizza styles.
I appreciate that! It is one of my core food beliefs. 🙂

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT