ADVERTISEMENT

ATTN: Blair Sanderson, please read re: NIL

curtisj57

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2008
I don’t have Blair’s email.

UI needs to contact Ryan Miller, President of Athlete Advantage. Info link below. They are a NIL Agency and have been essential in helping UK land Will Levis, Wan’Dale Robinson and others from the portal. They also played a big role in helping UK land a few of the higher ranked freshman. They work with other schools as well. From what I see, their work is different from the Swarm and can compliment their work. When an athlete signs with them as their agent, they approach the schools and collect the best NIL offers. They apparently get alerted every time someone enters the portal. Iowa needs this or will be falling behind. We need to get Ryan in front of the powers that be at UI.

https://athleteadvantage.xyz/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-miller-1652465b

UI needs to contact Ryan Miller, President of Athlete Advantage. Info link below. They are a NIL Agency and have been essential in helping UK land Will Levis, Wan’Dale Robinson and others from the portal. They also played a big role in helping UK land a few of the higher ranked freshman. They work with other schools as well. From what I see, their work is different from the Swarm and can compliment their work. When an athlete signs with them as their agent, they approach the schools and collect the best NIL offers. They apparently get alerted every time someone enters the portal. Iowa needs this or will be falling behind. We need to get Ryan in front of the powers that be at UI.

Blair, while helpful, isn’t the one to tag. @Tx_Hawk is the guy running the Swarm Collective, he’s the one you should try to get the attention of.

Also Roy, I’d recommend you start donating to the Swarm Collective. You’ve had a ton of thoughts and opinions regarding Iowa’s NIL, but if you aren’t doing anything to help you really shouldn’t complain.

Blair, while helpful, isn’t the one to tag. @Tx_Hawk is the guy running the Swarm Collective, he’s the one you should try to get the attention of.

Also Roy, I’d recommend you start donating to the Swarm Collective. You’ve had a ton of thoughts and opinions regarding Iowa’s NIL, but if you aren’t doing anything to help you really shouldn’t complain.
Oh, so he has to pay to complain about crappy Iowa offense? Interesting concept, but probably not valid. JMO

Last edited:

Have been donating monthly since inception.

Oh, so he has to [ay to complain about crappy Iowa offense? Interesting concept, but probably not valid. JMO
Where did I say he has to pay to complain about the offense? If we want better players to come in, Iowa fans to pay up. If just half of Kinnick Stadium would pay $20 a month, the collective would be north of 8 million dollars. That’s huge.

If people are in a line of business they are already contacting the appropriate folks to try to gain additional business.

Reactions: littlez
Need to explore all avenues. IF this is more effective, get them hired. We're not talking $50 appearance fees, Wan'Dale received six-figures for his deal and Will Levis may be at a higher level. We can't sell, "come to Iowa and sell some t-shirts", we need a NIL Company working with local companies for BIG deals to secure players.

But, but but..... Isn't that against the rules? Offering money BEFORE they are on the team? NIL is just nuts.

But, but but..... Isn't that against the rules? Offering money BEFORE they are on the team? NIL is just nuts.
The transfer portal is a bidding war. Those who get the highest rated players, paid more through NIL.

I had never heard of this swarm collective thing (also learned there is at least 1 other swarm collective that is very different)

It’s insane to me that would get 501c3 status. This whole NIL thing just continues to get more ridiculous. I’m passionately in favor of paying these guys but this is nuts

Reactions: hawkhockey
All the money being generated from TV contacts, couldn't they have just paid the athletes off of that money? I don't mind spending 200 bucks a year for the ICNC, but I am sure there are Neb fans making far less than I am who are contributing far more than I am. I wonder how the big Iowa donors compare to other schools. It sucks that Iowa, a Nike school, has to compete against the owner of Nike.

The entire process is smarmy. Are there any limits on this mess? Will the NCAA have to add a few thousand compliance staff or will this just be a free for all?

Have been donating monthly since inception.
Just think if they just took one of the $900,000 paid coordinators salaries (not mentioning names) and donated that to the NIL fund? I am quite sure Iowa would have scored as many points with the players calling their own plays.

Well, when you choose to make an amatuer sport into a pro sport you are asking for all of this. Did people really believe this wasn't what was going to happen? NIL had good intent, I believe that, but was this ever going to be anything but a way to create a highest bidder scenario?

Reactions: DewHawk
Just think if they just took one of the $900,000 paid coordinators salaries (not mentioning names) and donated that to the NIL fund? I am quite sure Iowa would have scored as many points with the players calling their own plays.

So you want even our non-Brian OC to work for free?

Many of these kids have agents just like Ryan who do the exact same thing. From what I can tell, he is similar to many others. But you need to be aware who the agent represents….the player….not the collective or the school.

Now, there are some agents who represent several kids at the same school. Sounds like this guy has several UK players.

Kadyn proctors agent also represents Riley Moss, CDJ, etc.

All the money being generated from TV contacts, couldn't they have just paid the athletes off of that money? I don't mind spending 200 bucks a year for the ICNC, but I am sure there are Neb fans making far less than I am who are contributing far more than I am. I wonder how the big Iowa donors compare to other schools. It sucks that Iowa, a Nike school, has to compete against the owner of Nike.
It (direct payment of players) is probably coming eventually, but you will have to pry that money out of the cold, dead hands of the athletic departments. There is also the issue of Title IX regulations. It's possible that if a school said we're going to pay football players directly, a member of a women's team could sue and say this is a Title IX violation (and they would likely be right).

The media money and donations that come into the UI athletic department do help to pay for facilities, travel for teams and coaches and world-class equipment for all the non-revenue sports as well. Brands and Bluder and Heller and Woody and all the other coaches at Iowa are paid well. That money is coming from somewhere. Oh and all the administrative and support staff within the ever-growing athletic department at Iowa and at other places. Athletic departments are not going to willingly turn over that money without being forced to.

I am in agreement in principle that players can and should receive money if there is a market for their services (which there obviously is). But as more market principles are applied here, it doesn't mean that the outcome will be one that fans like. It could result in far fewer schools offering college sports as they come the conclusion that they will never have the resources to compete with the largest schools and it takes away from the mission of the school. It could result in schools that offer college sports deciding they are going to offer far fewer college sports. They could decide they are going to put their $$ into football, men's basketball and then enough women's sports to make them Title IX compliant. All the others have to go.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It (direct payment of players) is probably coming eventually, but you will have to pry that money out of the cold, dead hands of the athletic departments. There is also the issue of Title IX regulations. It's possible that if a school said we're going to pay football players directly, a member of a women's team could sue and say this is a Title IX violation (and they would likely be right).

The media money and donations that come into the UI athletic department do help to pay for facilities, travel for teams and coaches and world-class equipment for all the non-revenue sports as well. Brands and Bluder and Heller and Woody and all the other coaches at Iowa are paid well. That money is coming from somewhere. Oh and all the administrative and support staff within the ever-growing athletic department at Iowa and at other places. Athletic departments are not going to willingly turn over that money without being forced to.

I am in agreement in principle that players can and should receive money if there is a market for their services (which there obviously is). But as more market principles are applied here, it doesn't mean that the outcome will be one that fans like. It could result in far fewer schools offering college sports as they come the conclusion that they will never have the resources to compete with the largest schools and it takes away from the mission of the school. It could result in schools that offer college sports deciding they are going to offer far fewer college sports. They could decide they are going to put their $$ into football, men's basketball and then enough women's sports to make them Title IX compliant. All the others have to go.
I don't understand why fans would donate to the athletic department any longer, including per seat fees. Fans wanting to donate to Iowa athletics should be donating to these collectives to pay players.

The athletic department is swimming in money, or it should be. Something tells me Barta's staff is bloated full of administrative costs and jerk off positions making $125k/year.

I don't understand why fans would donate to the athletic department any longer, including per seat fees. Fans wanting to donate to Iowa athletics should be donating to these collectives to pay players.

The athletic department is swimming in money, or it should be. Something tells me Barta's staff is bloated full of administrative costs and jerk off positions making $125k/year.
You just described universities in general.

Grab that Texas qb that just left. He has more talent than the Hawk O combined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT