ADVERTISEMENT

Attorney Says Woman Who Stole Squad Car, Dragged Officer on West Side, Had Been Sexually Assaulted

You're going to see more and more of this. Cops are afraid to do anything that can be considered wrong in the publics eye.
That's because some cops don't know the difference between a taser and a service revolver.

Cell phones and body cams are only now revealing what has been hidden for decades.

That's because some cops don't know the difference between a taser and a service revolver.

Cell phones and body cams are only now revealing what has been hidden for decades.
This is a different topic and has nothing to do with this specific issue. Millions of contacts a day where there is no confusion between taser and guns, but keep acting like that was an issue here.

This is a different topic and has nothing to do with this specific issue. Millions of contacts a day where there is no confusion between taser and guns, but keep acting like that was an issue here.
There are a couple of posters here who have it out for cops. They are beyond help, well, unless I suppose they need them, then cops are appreciated.

Incidents like this have been happening for decades, we simply see them more often now because of technology. IMO, this is purely a training and execution issue. As Hawkman98 said, always lock your door when getting out of the vehicle. Not hard. Doesn't take a super experienced cop to do it.

Let's put more money into training cops for situations and ensuring they follow their training.

Including letting a woman just get into the drivers seat of a cop car, which is still running?
That’s not ‘afraid to do anything’, that’s a big mistake.
She just walked right by him and got into his vehicle.
Used to happen all the time with the football program in West Canaan, Texas. Program was out of control.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Cops are damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Wasn’t the recent cry from the left to just let criminals run instead of using force. Go find and arrest them later. Call in a social worker instead of the police, right? Here we have a black, unarmed woman, plus she’s 3/4 naked AND a white cop. Instead of using restraints, he show restraint. There are some really F’d up crazy people out there and our LEOs encounter them every damn day. Had this officer used more force, we might be having a completely different conversation today.

There are a couple of posters here who have it out for cops. They are beyond help, well, unless I suppose they need them, then cops are appreciated.
If that was aimed at me... I'm not anti cop. Simply stating that in the past, these "incidences" were deemed random and rare. That's doesn't seem accurate these days. High profile cases have brought police incompetence into the headlines. The majority of cops are sincere, well intentioned individuals. But the "1 in a 100" claims of bad cops isn't accurate either, imo.

Law enforcement is a job, just like everything else. Not everyone is good at their job.

Cops are damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Wasn’t the recent cry from the left to just let criminals run instead of using force. Go find and arrest them later. Call in a social worker instead of the police, right? Here we have a black, unarmed woman, plus she’s 3/4 naked AND a white cop. Instead of using restraints, he show restraint. There are some really F’d up crazy people out there and our LEOs encounter them every damn day. Had this officer used more force, we might be having a completely different conversation today.
Or, if he just closed and locked his door there is no conversation about this today.

Reactions: Pinehawk
A woman who commandeered a police SUV earlier this week in West Garfield Park — dragging a Chicago police officer who tried to stop her — has been charged with attempted murder and a host of other charges, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.

But a private defense attorney described Whitley Temple, 34, as a hardworking mother whose actions were completely out of character, and said he had “reason to believe” she was sexually assaulted prior to the incident.

The officer who was hurt was responding at Monday morning to a call of shots fired when a dispatcher broadcast that Temple was “naked, intoxicated and threatening to hit people” at Kostner Avenue and Jackson Boulevard, according to an arrest report.

After finding Temple laying in the street and partially clothed, the officer got out of his marked SUV to check on her and called for an ambulance, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.

Temple later jumped into the officer’s SUV as he tried to stop her, but she gunned the car in reverse, dragging the officer with the car and causing him to hit his head on a parked vehicle, Murphy said.

The officer suffered a gash on his head that required six stitches, according to Murphy, who remarked that it was “a miracle” that the officer was alive.

The 47-year-old officer was released from the hospital the same day.

Temple, who was eventually taken into custody after a foot chase, was taken to Stroger Hospital. She remained hospitalized Wednesday and wasn’t able to attend the hearing.

Defense attorney Javaron Buckley said Temple was sexually assaulted shortly before the incident, which he said explained why she was partially clothed as well as her erratic behavior.

“Ms. Temple is a victim as well,” according to Buckley, who said Temple didn’t dispute prosecutors’ allegations.

Buckley didn’t provide specifics about the alleged assault, saying those allegations were “extremely serious” and he didn’t want to say them without verifying them.

Temple is a tax accountant who owns two businesses to support her 6-year-old daughter, the attorney said, and is actively involved in her community.

“Ms. Temple has absolutely no [criminal] background,” the attorney said, later adding that “there can be more than one victim in a case.”

Prosecutors filed a petition asking Judge Kelly McCarthy to hold Temple without bail, but the judge said she would wait to rule on it until Temple could appear for a hearing.

McCarthy agreed that something else appeared to be going on with the case, but said that setting Temple’s bail at $2 million cash was required to ensure the community’s safety until further hearings could be held.

Also Read This News Opinion | Washington Post primary endorsement for D.C. attorney general: Brian Schwalb & More Attorney News
In one video of the encounter that circulated on social media, a woman enters the squad car through an unlocked front door. The officer orders her out as he appears to try to pull her from the driver’s seat. She appears to shift the car into reverse, knocking the officer to the ground with the door and dragging him as she narrowly avoids colliding with another car.

Another video obtained by the Sun-Times shows the woman driving off with the door ajar while the officer, apparently bleeding from the head, was on the ground.

Temple drove the squad car to a gas station, where she struck a vehicle, briefly ran into the station and then took off again, driving the squad car more than 95 mph on the Eisenhower Expressway, Murphy said.

She allegedly weaved in and out of traffic until she got off at Sacramento Boulevard at a high rate of speed, striking several more vehicles as she continued to drive, before she crashed in the 2000 block of West Harrison Street and was arrested after a brief foot chase.

Radio traffic indicated she was admitted to Stroger Hospital for a psychological evaluation. Temple tested positive for benzodiazepine, a type of psychoactive medication, and cannabinoids, which can include marijuana or CBD, prosecutors said early toxicology reports showed.

Also Read This News Attorney General alleges Hillsdale County deputy used his position to coerce a female suspect into a sexual relationship | WTVB | 1590 AM · 95.5 FM & More Attorney News
Before stealing the car, multiple witnesses saw Temple run outside of her home naked and act “irrational,” Murphy said.

Those witnesses allegedly said they saw Temple take a gun from her bag and fire it at them before driving off in her own car. Surveillance cameras and other witnesses also told investigators that they saw Temple striking cars in her own vehicle, including an AT&T work truck, before she was seen putting on a pair of shorts, Murphy said.

Temple allegedly told an AT&T worker she had a gun, but no gun was seen in surveillance video from the area, Murphy said.

Temple, of West Garfield Park, was charged with felony counts of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery to a peace officer, resisting or obstructing a peace officer, vehicular hijacking and possession of a stolen law enforcement vehicle, police said. She also faces a misdemeanor for driving on a suspended license and a citation for having no insurance.

Her next hearing was scheduled for Tuesday.

robin-williams.gif

Including letting a woman just get into the drivers seat of a cop car, which is still running?
That’s not ‘afraid to do anything’, that’s a big mistake.
She just walked right by him and got into his vehicle.
Yeah he should have tased her, the story would have read "Black rape victim tased by heartless police officer". The second would be her suing the CPD for Millions.

Reactions: 24 so far
He said the cop should have locked the door. You took it to the next level and placed all of the blame for the incident on the cop.
No. As usual you are wrong. The blame lies with the woman. The cop could have avoided the situation by simply locking the door, at our resident cop said. More training is needed.

Try again.

No. As usual you are wrong. The blame lies with the woman. The cop could have avoided the situation by simply locking the door, at our resident cop said. More training is needed.

Try again.
I’m 100% correct, as usual. You didn’t place any blame at all on the woman who got high on multiple pyschotropic drugs, went batshit crazy, and stole a police car, nearly killing the officer in the process. Not until I called you out for victim blaming. Prior to that, your commentary was laser focused on what you believe the cop did wrong.

Reactions: Bro D and 24 so far
Incidents like this have been happening for decades, we simply see them more often now because of technology. IMO, this is purely a training and execution issue. As Hawkman98 said, always lock your door when getting out of the vehicle. Not hard. Doesn't take a super experienced cop to do it.

Let's put more money into training cops for situations and ensuring they follow their training.
But You I'm sure are 100% perfect in the execution of your duties everyday, minus dealing with the scum of the earth who often mean you harm, and you have 1 second to think about it.

I’m 100% correct, as usual. You didn’t place any blame at all on the woman who got high on multiple pyschotropic drugs, went batshit crazy, and stole a police car, nearly killing the officer in the process. Not until I called you out for victim blaming. Prior to that, your commentary was laser focused on what you believe the cop did wrong.
FFS - There was no need to call it out separately it was obvious to everyone except, apparently, you. My focus was on the discussion about what the cop could have done to prevent her getting in the car and getting injured. I expanded on what our cop said and suggested this is an example where more/better training is needed for the police.

Such a lame attempt.

But You I'm sure are 100% perfect in the execution of your duties everyday, minus dealing with the scum of the earth who often mean you harm, and you have 1 second to think about it.
Not that it has anything to do with the point here, but of course I'm not. If/when I make a really egregious mistake like this I expect to have it called out and to take measures to prevent it in the future.

FFS - There was no need to call it out separately it was obvious to everyone except, apparently, you. My focus was on the discussion about what the cop could have done to prevent her getting in the car and getting injured. I expanded on what our cop said and suggested this is an example where more/better training is needed for the police.

Such a lame attempt.
“IMO, this is purely a training and execution issue” and “Or, if he just closed and locked his door there is no conversation about this today” are the Riley-despises-law-enforcement equivalent of “she wouldn’t have been raped if she wasn’t dressed like that”.

“IMO, this is purely a training and execution issue” and “Or, if he just closed and locked his door there is no conversation about this today” are the Riley-despises-law-enforcement equivalent of “she wouldn’t have been raped if she wasn’t dressed like that”.
Neither of those statements take blame away from the woman. You're trying really hard and failing yet again.

And GFY with the last comment.

Neither of those statements take blame away from the woman. You're trying really hard and failing yet again.

And GFY with the last comment.
Uh oh, Riley’s mad.

Look, it’s good that you’re now assigning at least some blame to the woman who actually committed the crime. But it’s a little too late to pretend you weren’t focusing all of your efforts earlier on finding fault with the cop’s actions.

Cop was concerned for his career most likely. One wrong move and next thing you know Ben Crump is making a statement.
What's worse for your career? Detaining an obviously disturbed publicly naked person?

Or, letting that disturbed naked person just get into your unsecured, running cop car, and then run you over while escaping in your cop car.

Not an either/or thing at the time,.. More like I'll loose my job if I lay hands on this naked black chick...

Not an either/or thing at the time,.. More like I'll loose my job if I lay hands on this naked black chick...
Lose his job for arresting a crazy naked person?

Most cops don't even lose their job for shooting unarmed people.

ADVERTISEMENT