ADVERTISEMENT

August 1 is a very special day of the year

cidsports

HB King
We say Happy Birthday to Iowa's head football coach Kirk Ferentz, who is 66 today.

It is also my wedding anniversary. Yep, 1987 was a good year for me and many years since, along the journey around the sun.

Except for 20/20, August also kicks off another football season in the Big Ten, as fall camp for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

My sister got married before the 1981 season. That was certainly a very special year, as we welcomed a young first year OLine coach in Year 3 of the Hayden Fry era.

Now, Year 23 of Kirk Ferentz era, Iowa welcomes a new OLine coach, and a RB coach too!

The Hawkeyes have plenty of questions in 2021. Frankly, is there a Big Ten team that doesn't have any questions?

Even our Week 2 opponent in our annual renewal CyHawk series game has questions to answer in 2021, though some have suggested this constant 3 loss or more team is a CFP candidate for the first time in the history of College Football.

There is no question that College Football has changed greatly over the past 40 years. The past 19 months, including 2020-21 may have been the most unusual and challenging, with the pandemic impact, the new rules with the portal, the launch of NIL and the news out of the SEC, including expansion of the College Football Playoff.

That is Week 0 of the 2021 season. For the Iowa Hawkeyes, the Week 1 and Week 2 games are likely the biggest anticipated games, since the 1981 season where Iowa played two Top 20 teams over the first 3 games.

Iowa beat Nebraka and UCLA both in Kinnick Stadium to launch the Fry era and end the Big 2 era of modern Big Ten Football.

Fans back in Kinnick Stadium on September 4th, Week 1, should be one of the top ten beginnings for the 2021-22 season.

Fight for Iowa!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News