ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Ash Appreciation Tread

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012
I see Ash has officially entered the transfer portal. Good luck on the new adventure and thanks for being a great teammate while at iowa. I honestly wonder how much he helped Garza improve throughout his career as they used to sneak into the gym together late at night. Also congrats on being the best 3 point shooter on the team!

Reactions: Moral
I see Ash has officially entered the transfer portal. Good luck on the new adventure and thanks for being a great teammate while at iowa. I honestly wonder how much he helped Garza improve throughout his career as they used to sneak into the gym together late at night. Also congrats on being the best 3 point shooter on the team!

You're joking, right?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
usa_today_12030052.jpg

The kid is a clown. Statistically, he may go down as the biggest ball hog in Iowa basketball history. It was almost a certainty that any time he was passed the ball, he would shoot it, whether standing near half court, double teamed, off balanced, or not. He did the rest of the walk-ons who got into games during blowouts a great disservice, taking away their opportunity to run the offense or touch the ball.

The kid was enthusiastic on the bench cheering for his teammates...but that's a given for walk-ons who have the opportunity to be a part of a top 5 ranked team.

The kid is a clown. Statistically, he may go down as the biggest ball hog in Iowa basketball history. It was almost a certainty that any time he was passed the ball, he would shoot it, whether standing near half court, double teamed, off balanced, or not. He did the rest of the walk-ons who got into games during blowouts a great disservice, taking away their opportunity to run the offense or touch the ball.

The kid was enthusiastic on the bench cheering for his teammates...but that's a given for walk-ons who have the opportunity to be a part of a top 5 ranked team.

There are two things this guy hates in this world. People that are intolerant of other people's race, and Austin Ash.

Last edited:
I don't believe Ash could get his shot off vs. D-I starters (he's done his playing during mop up time, usually vs. opposing team's walk-ons). And I don't believe he could defend well enough or handle well enough to contribute in other ways, even if he did make a couple 3s.

Fran burned a scholarship on this guy? He really wants his boys to get as many minutes a possible I guess. Couldn’t we get someone who could help the team from the portal with that scholarship? Wow!! Guess this team is already loaded with everything it needs. 35-0 next year. Contract extension again.

I don't know the kid at all and have only seen the mop up duty. Not so shocked that he is back, just surprised it is on scholarship. Does that signal challenges getting a better option in the portal?

Fran wasn’t going to recruit over Toussaint/Ulis. Wasn’t going to recruit over Fredrick/Perkins (then Bohannon/Perkins). He could’ve recruited over Pat/Perkins/Murray/Murray/Connor at the 3/4 positions, but I’m glad that some of these younger guys will be getting extensive minutes. Already filled the 5 spot with Rebraca/Mulvey/Ogundele. Don’t need a 4th 5.

Congrats to Austin on the scholarship; it is well deserved. Don’t see him playing much outside of garbage time however. If the Murray’s really can play the two, then he’s about 4th on the depth chart at off guard

Reactions: Ronman
Fran burned a scholarship on this guy? He really wants his boys to get as many minutes a possible I guess. Couldn’t we get someone who could help the team from the portal with that scholarship? Wow!! Guess this team is already loaded with everything it needs. 35-0 next year. Contract extension again.
I like our top 10 so don't see this as a big deal. I hope we get to see a lot of sick assists from Cmac to Austin during blowouts.

Reactions: Underscore2
Doesn't really look like Fran put too much of an effort into the transfer portal other than looking at a couple guys and getting one of them. Do I think Iowa has a talented roster? Yes. Do I think its a top 6 in the B1G roster next season? No way. Is it a bubble team? Maybe. If Fran made a couple veteran pickups in the portal that have solid balanced games, combined with growth from the younger guys this team could have competed in the top 6 of the B1G. I'm sorry but Bohannon and Connor are role players with major holes in their games. Not guys thay should get more than 15mpg. I think Rebraca was a nice pickup. Is he B1G ready for 20mpg or more a game? I hope.

Fran can't maintain consistency at Iowa. Because of this he struggles to recruit outside the state of Iowa. After all these years no hardware Fran isn't really changing his philosophy. Great contract extension.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
That's the move of a coach who is either clueless why the most talented team of his career got torched when it mattered most or a coach who simply doesn't care about taking the next step. I'd say unreal if we had a different coach, BAU for Francis.

This is why Barta is terrible. He gave Fran the extension to early. Dude caves in the NCAA tournament with his best team at Iowa. Then No Hardware Fran goes into the offseason with no heat on him. Result Fran has no need to build a team that can compete at the top of the B1G next season. Why Iowa Basketball can't seem to get out of the middle ever..

I appreciate any kid who suits up for the Hawks. On the flip side, I also want to believe our coach would offer scholarships to the best players available ... and not offer “just because.”

A walk on.... who entered the portal ... is now on scholarship? Was there no portal player Fran could have landed who could be on scholarship ... and not just come in for mop up duty with 2 mins left in a game?

I’ve never been a fan of Fran... But I guess he can ride into the sunset with his new extension and continue to be a .500 coach in the Big 10 and .580 coach overall.

Sorry, after the flop this year just tired of this shit and tired of Fran and low expectations ...by Iowa and by many of our fans.

“Well, just wait ‘til next year.”

I appreciate any kid who suits up for the Hawks. On the flip side, I also want to believe our coach would offer scholarships to the best players available ... and not offer “just because.”

A walk on.... who entered the portal ... is now on scholarship? Was there no portal player Fran could have landed who could be on scholarship ... and not just come in for mop up duty with 2 mins left in a game?

I’ve never been a fan of Fran... But I guess he can ride into the sunset with his new extension and continue to be a .500 coach in the Big 10 and .580 coach overall.

Sorry, after the flop this year just tired of this shit and tired of Fran and low expectations ...by Iowa and by many of our fans.

This is spot on. I just don't get this mindset with Fran amd many in the fan base. Iowa has a roster next year that will keep them out of the bottom 5. They also don't have a lineup that will compete with the top 6 in conference. So if you're somewhere in the middle and a likely bubble team why don't you better utilize a transfer portal that is absolutely loaded with talent? Just a couple good pickips could have this team somewhere between 4-6 next year in the B1G and rolling into the following season. Fran has a chance to build momentum with the program.

Fran's next gig will be GM of the Bears.

Well which is it? If he's only worthy of garbage time he wasn't worthy of a scholly at his age. Does anyone know who else offered? If anyone?
As far as the transfer portal goes, we can’t have it both ways. Say Fran goes to the portal and recruits a high level shooting guard over Perkins and Bohannon. Perkins, seeing little opportunity for playing time this year, likely starts to evaluate his options. Maybe he sees more opportunity at a place like Minnesota and it’s adios. So we get a grad transfer for a year or two tops, lose young talent, and are left hanging out to dry in another year and have to go back to the portal.

My point is that you can either run a developmental program and utilize the portal to fill existing holes in the lineup. In this scenario, you don’t have much attrition (mostly positive attrition), you have familiarity amongst your players, and they trust you as coach and believe in your plan for them. You suffer “rebuilding” years, but also have opportunities like last year and the previous couple where you have a bunch of upperclassmen who have played with each other for several years. This is Fran’s preferred way to build a program

On the flip side, if you utilize the portal to bring in the best player available, the scenario I outlined above happens, you suffer both positive and negative attrition, and you basically have to be fully bought in to utilizing the portal as means to sustain your program I.e Iowa State under Hoiberg (except that everybody’s doing it now after he did and not nearly as easy to get the players you want to get). You may have some solid seasons, but it’s difficult to build depth, your team lacks familiarity and, at a school like Iowa, you still never bring in enough talent to make it over the hump and make a run in the tournament.

We can’t recruit over all our players and expect them to stay or for it to be sustainable. Is next year going to be a “special” year? Probably not because of how much we lose. However most expectations are a bubble team, a potential opportunity in the Dance, and even greater opportunity for the next several years

Yeah maybe I have low expectations, but I also have zero influence on the decisions being made so stamping my feet is pointless. I see what Fran’s doing and will choose to be supportive

Fran's next gig will be GM of the Bears.

At least he’s attempting to right the ship by trading up for an experienced, athletic black QB this time! Fran had scholarships to give and he couldn’t find 1 damn better guard than Ash snd Jordan??? LAZY Mo fo!! I’m so pi$$ed!

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Here’s the thing running through my mind. Why??? You’re giving the scholarship to a guy you know isn’t going to probably help the team with any important minutes. Why not keep it open in case someone surprising decides to transfer last minute.

As far as the transfer portal goes, we can’t have it both ways. Say Fran goes to the portal and recruits a high level shooting guard over Perkins and Bohannon. Perkins, seeing little opportunity for playing time this year, likely starts to evaluate his options. Maybe he sees more opportunity at a place like Minnesota and it’s adios. So we get a grad transfer for a year or two tops, lose young talent, and are left hanging out to dry in another year and have to go back to the portal.

My point is that you can either run a developmental program and utilize the portal to fill existing holes in the lineup. In this scenario, you don’t have much attrition (mostly positive attrition), you have familiarity amongst your players, and they trust you as coach and believe in your plan for them. You suffer “rebuilding” years, but also have opportunities like last year and the previous couple where you have a bunch of upperclassmen who have played with each other for several years. This is Fran’s preferred way to build a program

On the flip side, if you utilize the portal to bring in the best player available, the scenario I outlined above happens, you suffer both positive and negative attrition, and you basically have to be fully bought in to utilizing the portal as means to sustain your program I.e Iowa State under Hoiberg (except that everybody’s doing it now after he did and not nearly as easy to get the players you want to get). You may have some solid seasons, but it’s difficult to build depth, your team lacks familiarity and, at a school like Iowa, you still never bring in enough talent to make it over the hump and make a run in the tournament.

We can’t recruit over all our players and expect them to stay or for it to be sustainable. Is next year going to be a “special” year? Probably not because of how much we lose. However most expectations are a bubble team, a potential opportunity in the Dance, and even greater opportunity for the next several years

Yeah maybe I have low expectations, but I also have zero influence on the decisions being made so stamping my feet is pointless. I see what Fran’s doing and will choose to be supportive
Excellent post and I agree 100%. Recruiting through the portal above players who are already here shows you aren’t committed to developing talent. That would make it much harder to recruit high school talent. I support Fran’s decision 100%. He’s doing exactly what he said he would and I his plan to be honest. Ash may not give meaningful minutes but my guess is he wasn’t intended to.

What’s the one proven fact that he should be recruiting by? You can’t win with white guards. Not only does he bring in another white guard but it’s a white guard who Fran himself already decided wasn’t even worth a scholarship. This is the dumbest possible move.

I can almost hear Fran getting defensive when a reporter asks the simple question why did he use a scholly on a walk on who left?

I don't know the kid at all and have only seen the mop up duty. Not so shocked that he is back, just surprised it is on scholarship. Does that signal challenges getting a better option in the portal?
If we didn't have better options via the portal, our basketball program is more irrelevant than I had thought...🙁

Reactions: Ronman
So, it's Rebraca and that is it? Disappointing Fran could not land a guard from the portal. Might be a reward for Ash but it does not improve the team.

Can’t believe Gonzaga just took Bolton from ISU. How is Few going to explain it to his other players. It’s called recruiting. It happens every year. Trying to get players that make your team better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT