ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Blythe signs 1 Year, $990,000 Deal with Kansas City Chiefs ($0 Signing & $0 Performance Bonuses). Has Earned $7,987,049 in his 5 NFL Seasons

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
April 9, 2021 Update:

Austin Blythe's contract:

* $0 signing bonus
* $0 performance bonuses
* It's for 1 year, $990,000 guaranteed.

Original Post:

Blythe, 28, started 47 of a possible 48 games over the past three seasons with the Rams. He played center last season, starting all 16 games, and right guard in 2018-19.

The Colts made Blythe a seventh-round choice in 2016, and he played eight games with one start as a rookie. The Colts, though, waived him during the 2017 offseason, and Blythe signed with the Rams.

He spent the past four seasons with the Rams.

ExwRCW8XEAAXjFY

Last edited:
And he would have been a millionaire before he entered the league not playing football. Good for him following his dream and risking his body.

F*** you, Kansas City. Stealing the Vikings free agent OL prospects to keep your greedy little dynasty going when we have no left side of an OL.......

Because of your shenanigans, the Vikings went full potato and resigned Dakota Dozier, just weeks after cutting the worst graded guard in the NFL.

uw6aaZT.gif

990,000 for a starting center? Wow seems underpaid
And the more I think about it, the more I'm believing that the Vikings never even tried to get Blythe, which is f***ing asinine.

The only other thing I can think of, given this contract, is that the Vikings contacted his agent to guage his interest, and Blythe either said no, or was turned off by the idea of only being brought in as a guard, as the Vikings already have Bradbury at Center and he's not as fluid as Blythe (because Iowa OL), who can play OG and C, but probably wants to play C more.

But however it went down, its just another in a long list of free agency failures by the Vikings, particularly when it comes to fixing their f***ing OL.

the reduction in this year's salary cap has caused this problem for players like Austin, where they are taking what they can get

next year the cap will be higher & the money will be better
And THEN he can sign with the Vikings so they can win a Super Bowl with someone not named Kirk Cousins at QB! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Franisdaman
He graded out at 69 per PFF (for real) which is above average. How he only got $990K (less than most on HROT) is mind boggling. Especially when considering someone line Dan Feeney just got $3.5M

That's how much more he would've rather played for Kansas City than Minnesota. The Vikings would've offered roughly that, and Blythe chose a franchise that actually gives a sh** about the OL over money.........

That just pisses me off even more, because the Vikings probably would've paid him more to be the starting left guard.

Unless, of course, the rumors are true that the Vikings front office are just sabotaging their own offense.
990,000 for a starting center? Wow seems underpaid
And the more I think about it, the more I'm believing that the Vikings never even tried to get Blythe, which is f***ing asinine.

The only other thing I can think of, given this contract, is that the Vikings contacted his agent to guage his interest, and Blythe either said no, or was turned off by the idea of only being brought in as a guard, as the Vikings already have Bradbury at Center and he's not as fluid as Blythe (because Iowa OL), who can play OG and C, but probably wants to play C more.

But however it went down, its just another in a long list of free agency failures by the Vikings, particularly when it comes to fixing their f***ing OL.
My immediate thought exactly. A bargain for KC.
I think Austin needs to switch agents! That just seems incredibly cheap for a starting C/G option
He graded out at 69 per PFF (for real) which is above average. How he only got $990K (less than most on HROT) is mind boggling. Especially when considering someone line Dan Feeney just got $3.5M

I will never understand why Offensive Linemen don't object more to the current system that allows the QBs to earn the mega contracts. Because without the OL, the QB does not stay upright.

Sure, Mahomes deserves a lot. But should his starting center earn less than a million?

And hell, look at all the bonuses Austin gets! (not)

Austin Blythe's contract:

* $0 signing bonus
* $0 performance bonuses
* It's for 1 year, $990,000 guaranteed.

Blythe needs a new agent because that is unacceptable. He was an above average center making 30% of other centers not even average.
Normally I would agree completely. The one factor here is that with the salary cap going down as much as it did, there will be a number of veterans signing "bad" 1 year deals, with the team that they want to play for, and then signing a multi-year deal in 2022 for normal money.

Normally I would agree completely. The one factor here is that with the salary cap going down as much as it did, there will be a number of veterans signing "bad" 1 year deals, with the team that they want to play for, and then signing a multi-year deal in 2022 for normal money.
This.

Though, as I said, Blythe could've signed with Minnesota for $2-3 million (whether it's 1 year or a multi-year), but chose whatever Kansas City was selling instead........

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT