ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto Granted Release

He may be a good kid, but he still wrestled a "punk match" with Micic.

Yep...was definitely a dumbass throughout the match, but especially during the last 15 seconds. He needs a father figure, whether it be Cael or Tom. Neither of them would put up with the shit he did at the end of the match. He'd be doing duck walks or the Brian Shute exercise from Vision Quest until he f**king dies...

When I was watching his Kimura, It didn’t look like he was hurting Micic.. but it is the act that is bad. He just went nuts and I was laughing, it could have really been bad though. It isnt anything I don’t think Brands can fix or keep in check. After it happen; I was actually thinking that our coaches would have had him mentally ready for the tourney and now there may be a chance. Hope we get the mad man.

Reactions: HIWILLE and el dub
When I was watching his Kimura, It didn’t look like he was hurting Micic.. but it is the act that is bad. He just went nuts and I was laughing, it could have really been bad though. It isnt anything I don’t think Brands can fix or keep in check. After it happen; I was actually thinking that our coaches would have had him mentally ready for the tourney and now there may be a chance. Hope we get the mad man.

I don't think it looked like it was hurting him either. And I don't think the move was totally fubar until the ref blew the whistle potentially dangerous and DeSanto still kept jacking the arm...even after the ref reached into stop him. Just a dumbass move, but certainly one that can be unfu**ed with a good father figure. Sure would be nice to fill the 133 void with a potential AA.

I don't think it looked like it was hurting him either. And I don't think the move was totally fubar until the ref blew the whistle potentially dangerous and DeSanto still kept jacking the arm...even after the ref reached into stop him. Just a dumbass move, but certainly one that can be unfu**ed with a good father figure. Sure would be nice to fill the 133 void with a potential AA.

Exactly, hit it on the head. That’s exactly what I see watching it again. And for the record, I wasn’t on the anti- Desanto train after it happened. Although, I understand why people had those thoughts.

Exactly, hit it on the head. That’s exactly what I see watching it again. And for the record, I wasn’t on the anti- Desanto train after it happened. Although, I understand why people had those thoughts.

Me too. But I feel a few of us watching college wrestling are often times too critical of these youngsters and perhaps forget from time to time that they're really young in life. I'm sure we all did something that was a bit FUBAR in our teens and early 20s...

Is this hakein_it_easy from Twitter?

I ask cuz around the same timeframe as your post. That person accused me of being DreamCrush and I said yup nailed it.

In case you were wondering I am not DreamCrush. I am a Gopher fan though and am on my second name. Thanks Mitch.
We may disagree on everything, but I appreciate your passion. If every Gopher fan was like you... I probably wouldn't hate Minny fans as a group.

I've heard... nothing.

But I'm guessing if PSU really wants him, that'll be where he'd go. I'd favor him over all the incoming studs they have coming in, especially in a more a more competitive environment.

The staff needs to do their homework here in general and be 110% sure he is a lifetime 133. Team chemistry is good now and it needs to stay that way. On the surface he could be a solution to the 133 snafu. Something was not right in the Micic match the whole way. He was not really shooting, just hanging on the head, very out of sync. He is pretty raw still but has a great tank. I think our staff could do a lot with him to add clean offense to his constant motion. He needs a lot of bottom work too but Spencer could help work on that. Have to trust the staff in their evaluation. His coach spoke of him wanting better guys to workout with and Iowa is clearly the best fit for top end partners. Nebby, ASU and VT have nothing to offer compared to Iowa. PSU is overcrowded already and no amount of shuffling is going to change that and we got better partners than them too.

You guys crack me up, 1 minute the kid shouldn't wrestle anymore and the next your staff can help him out cause he fits into the hole in your line up? I believe you'd give Charley Manson a 2nd chance if he could AA at 133 next year for you. Your team & it's history are better than this!

Yeah, Iowa is being reckless by overlooking that dangerous hold at ncaa tournament. They need to be more responsible.

Say, how did that Andrew Long thing work out at PSU, after ISU booted him off the team and Cael accepted him with no rehab or treatment?

Last edited:
I would love to be a fly on the wall when Cael visits Desanto. What does he say? "We have 5 blue chip light weights committed/on the team already and no scholarship money available and are 2 AA deep at half of our weights, but we think you'll enjoy our dodgeball competitions and you can touch the team championship trophy and be in the picture after nationals next year."

Bo already said it. "We win national championships at penn state. That is what we do."

DeSanto in the Iowa room is a top 6 guy. He would train with Lee and TnT and become a beast. Our coaches are what he needs. I dont like the stuff he pulled at NCAA's but he is a good mentor away from being elite.
I don’t see why he can’t be a top 2 guy. He has a win over Micic I believe. Guy has serious talent.

Chief: As a PSU fan I would don't want AD to come to PSU. I would prefer that PSU develops Teasdale, RBY, and Teske (later Busiello). I think that they'll be alright (not on Spencer's level, however, alright). Unless Iowa somehow reloads with transfers I think PSU will be there in 2019 in Pittsburgh. Just my thoughts.

I concur, Cali. I watched the match again just to ensure I didn't miss anything. More than anything it looked like DeSanto was just pissed, and Micic laughing at him probably didn't help the situation, but I was laughing at him as well. Every since he got turned by Micic he was wrestling out of control like a mental case. I'm with you...a little time in the room with the right people, and maybe a moment or two behind a wood shed, and they would unfuk that mental issue he had in the quarters. I can't imagine any of our 133 pounders challenging him, unless Murin or Turk can get really skinny...

Wow, it would be nice to see more exchanges like this on the board.

Seeing the PSU fans trying to make Iowa fans feel bad for questioning DeSanto, but, now wanting to bring him in is ridiculously hypocritical.

Iowa fans implying that Cael is so obsessed with Iowa that he visited DeSanto just to keep him from going to the feared Hawkeyes is quite the reach as well.

While entertaining and annoying at the same time, the PSU trolls vs. the Iowa envy posts seem to be 80% of the board. It's nice when you get to the 20% of respectful wrestling talk.

Nick Lee has to be a favorite to win 141 next year, if Desanto was set on 141 I don't see psu in the mix.

Edit: I don't think Nick Lee is a favorite to win 141, but do think he's better Desanto.

Last edited:
Wow, it would be nice to see more exchanges like this on the board.

Seeing the PSU fans trying to make Iowa fans feel bad for questioning DeSanto, but, now wanting to bring him in is ridiculously hypocritical.

Iowa fans implying that Cael is so obsessed with Iowa that he visited DeSanto just to keep him from going to the feared Hawkeyes is quite the reach as well.

While entertaining and annoying at the same time, the PSU trolls vs. the Iowa envy posts seem to be 80% of the board. It's nice when you get to the 20% of respectful wrestling talk.
Yep. DeSanto unraveled for sure. I think what Micic said was spot on. “He’s probably not used to getting his a$$” beat.
Kids do stupid stuff sometimes.
I’ve seen plenty of times where a kid is taking a a-beating, ends up on top, and winds up a vicious cross face.

I think the majority of knowledgeable Iowa wrestling fans believe that “you get what you earn.” And that weekend, DeSanto should have been ejected.

I don’t think any Iowa fan believes that he should never wrestle again, regardless of what team he wrestles for, or ever be forgiven for poor judgment.… He just has some growing up to do.

So yes, it’s ok to be excited if he wants to wrestle for Iowa.

IMO being in a room where he may “take an a$$ whipping” every day in practice will help him learn how to handle adversity better.

I think Iowa fans (and other fans) were upset by his actions because the number one sin in the sport is to try to hurt someone because you’re losing.

He has a tough road to to earn respect back, but he deserves an opportunity to earn that respect back.

I’ve seen plenty of times where a kid is taking a a-beating, ends up on top, and winds up a vicious cross face..
Haha, this. My situation- getting whooped and threw a mean cross face on the guy. Went out of bounce, and on the restart he did a standup and threw his elbow in my eye socket. Pretty much knocked me out. lol

Reactions: Dagboi
Nick Lee has to be a favorite to win 141 next year, if Desanto was set on 141 I don't see psu in the mix.

Do you realize Yianni, McKenna and Eierman are all back next season? Now, they obviously don't need DeSanto at 141, but do they really even need him at 133? With Teske, Teasedale and RBY all coming in this year, he could be used as a stop gap this year, but a log jam ensues, even with DeSanto still having a redshirt to use.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Yep. DeSanto unraveled for sure. I think what Micic said was spot on. “He’s probably not used to getting his a$$” beat.
I’ve seen plenty of times where a kid is taking a a-beating, ends up on top, and winds up a vicious cross face.

I think the majority of knowledgeable Iowa wrestling fans believe that “you get what you earn.” And that weekend, DeSanto should have been ejected.

I don’t think any Iowa fan believes that he should never wrestle again, regardless of what team he wrestles for, or ever be forgiven for poor judgment.… He just has some growing up to do.

IMO being in a room where he may “take an a$$ whipping” every day in practice will help him learn how to handle adversity better.

I think Iowa fans (and other fans) were upset by his actions because the number one sin in the sport is to try to hurt someone because you’re losing.

He has a tough road to to earn respect back, but he deserves an opportunity to earn that respect back.
Exhibit A: Josh Terao with the “cross face” (aka punch) against Gilman at Midlands late in the match when he knows he can’t win.

You know, the match where Flo made a big deal about Gilman verbally and non-violently taking exception (at the handshake) to getting punched in the face, while conveniently omitting the punch that angered Thomas in the first place.

You guys crack me up, 1 minute the kid shouldn't wrestle anymore and the next your staff can help him out cause he fits into the hole in your line up? I believe you'd give Charley Manson a 2nd chance if he could AA at 133 next year for you. Your team & it's history are better than this!
I'm pretty sure TNT won't drop any scholly money on a dead guy dipshit

Reactions: Huck
Do you realize Yianni, McKenna and Eierman are all back next season? Now, they obviously don't need DeSanto at 141, but do they really even need him at 133? With Teske, Teasedale and RBY all coming in this year, he could be used as a stop gap this year, but a log jam ensues, even with DeSanto still having a redshirt to use.

Yeah that was dumb, I take that back. I was not thinking. Nick Lee is really good, definitely not the favorite. Point was that Desanto would have a hard time beating out Lee.

Agree. Dumb move, but not a career killer. His workout partners of: Gilman, Clark, McD, Lee et al will make matches seem like a cakewalk

ADVERTISEMENT