ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto should have been ejected. Embarrassing.

WDM Hawkeye, the maneuver in question is named after the three brothers that mastered it... Ken, Ray and Joe.
Exactly, 546 (Mahaska Ct., that is;))!

Their names always come to mind whenever I hear it!

Signed,

No. I'm not exaggerating. He literally had an illegal kimura and was trying to break Micic's arm. Unbelievable that the ref didn't stop it.

Retherford is a physical wrestler and pushes the limit, but I've never seen him intentionally and deliberately attempt to injure an opponent.

The match was over. DeSanto was about to lose my major and went for a kimura submission with 10 seconds left.

I watch a lot of mma and have seen a bunch of Kimura attempts. Breaking bones isn’t common. I don’t think it’s fair to say that ADeS was necessarily trying to break his opponents arm.

That said, a Kimura isn’t legal in folk style wrestling and he should have been penalized in some fashion for the illegal move, just like anyone else who breaks the rules.

I happened to watch that match as I was interested in seeing Desanto. Training in mma I was calling it out to my girls as you could see he was adjusting his hips to pull the Kimora. You can clearly see him readjust his hips when Micic adjusts his arm/shoulder to try to lock it in. There was clearly intent to do damage. Surprised that refs couldn't see what was being attempted. I know refs on the high school level that can identify a possible submission attempt. I stand by what I said earlier, kid needs to be out of the tournament. Autistic or not he needs to be punished

I saw an attempt to apply leverage and turn his opponent, not necessarily do damage.

Oh man, that was bad. The cartwheel, all of it. Not a great look.

He was melting down at the end of his next match. Was screaming at his coach instead of wrestling and Delvecchio came from behind to tie and then OT takedown. Austin walked off screaming at his coach, the coach said something as they were entering the tunnel and Austin turned and fronted up...thought better, though, and then continued into the tunnel.

Will take a special coach to harness him, I’m sure most coaches are inexperienced with his special needs.

In the ten seconds leading up to this 12 second clip, DeSanto was penalized for smacking him upside the head and another one for ripping Micic's head gear off. How he wasn't DQ after this last freak out I don't know.
Impressed with how Micic handled it during the match and in the interview.
The interview was very impressive, indeed. Micic seems like a super kid. Great to see him having so much success, although I'll have to root against him for the sake of the team race. Sure would be happy for him if he won a title. Really talented wrestler, and a very well-spoken, cheerful young man -- on and off the mat.

Not if it's because he's transferring to Fun State it wouldn't.
I can’t wait to hear how him, Teske, RBY, Teasdale, Nick Lee, and Busiello are all going to seemlessly fit into the lineup.

ps. I don’t expect to see him anywhere besides Drexel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huck
This would make me happy.

Personally, I would be a little concerned with him treating practice partners the way he has treated a few opponents. Especially when he may be on the receiving end of it by a lot of the guys. I hope he gets things figured out but personally I would prefer to keep him away from our guys knees or shoulders. I would have felt better if he had taken a swing at a guy, messing with guys joints in wrestling is not a good thing.

so a rutgers fan posts on an Iowa board and you guys think he is coming to happy valley. interesting.

Where did I say that? Odds are it’s just rumors he is going to transfer but even if he does, I doubt PSU would be a viable option.

so I committed a board foul and quoted the wrong guy....sorry

but as far as reading comprehension goes.....

the best you could say is iowa is in my head. the worst is as you were.....I stand by my point...of all posters.

I can’t wait to hear how him, Teske, RBY, Teasdale, Nick Lee, and Busiello are all going to seemlessly fit into the lineup.

ps. I don’t expect to see him anywhere besides Drexel.

Not if it's because he's transferring to Fun State it wouldn't.

He was one of my favorite wrestlers coming into this tournament (I didn't see his loss to Tucker prior to the tournament). After watching the Micic match, I was rooting strongly for him to lose to Delvechio.

What he did at the end of the Micic match was an absolute punk move. He also put his hands on the ref twice. I'm completely shocked that he didn't get thrown out of the tournament. Micic couldn't have handled it any better. He kept his poise and basically was laughing/smiling at DeSanto.

I still love DeSanto's style of wrestling. I hope he can figure out how to handle defeat better. If he does, he will definitely get a 2nd chance from me. He has a lot of work to do though.

I'm also surprised that he or his coaches haven't made a public apology.

He was one of my favorite wrestlers coming into this tournament (I didn't see his loss to Tucker prior to the tournament). After watching the Micic match, I was rooting strongly for him to lose to Delvechio.

What he did at the end of the Micic match was an absolute punk move. He also put his hands on the ref twice. I'm completely shocked that he didn't get thrown out of the tournament. Micic couldn't have handled it any better. He kept his poise and basically was laughing/smiling at DeSanto.

I still love DeSanto's style of wrestling. I hope he can figure out how to handle defeat better. If he does, he will definitely get a 2nd chance from me. He has a lot of work to do though.

I'm also surprised that he or his coaches haven't made a public apology.

Given the way he was screaming and almost fighting his coach after his last match, I wouldn’t be surprised if his coaches are done with him.

Not surprised to hear transfer rumors.

Reactions: Dagboi
Given the way he was screaming and almost fighting his coach after his last match, I wouldn’t be surprised if his coaches are done with him.

Not surprised to hear transfer rumors.

I was wondering if Desanto was wanting the coaches to challenge something, but maybe coaches did not have any challenges left.

I don’t know why anyone would be against this. Yes, Desanto has a difficult time handling a loss (not dissimilar to some of the coaches on this team). He made a very stupid move going for an illegal move with the intent to injure at NCAAs. Thankfully no one was hurt. I believe he should have been DQ’d from the tournament.

However, he shouldn’t be banned from wrestling forever. He is not near the problem that PD3 was. From all accounts he is a great kid that can get a bit intense in a wrestling match and lose his cool. But no legal problems or academic issues. I think his temper problems can be fixed. Daily ass whoopings from Lee, Gilman, Clark, Brands should do the trick. If he doesn’t learn to handle losing quickly he will not last long in the Iowa room anyway.

If there is any chance he could come to Iowa I’d be 100% for it and so should any Iowa fan that wants to see Iowa win again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT