ADVERTISEMENT

Austin DeSanto should have been ejected. Embarrassing.

Is_there_vodka_in_heaven

HR All-American
Mar 24, 2016
He just attempted a kimura jiu jitsu submission on Micic in the 133 QF match. The back-up ref pointed at it, but didn't stop the match. No point was deducted. Horrible officiating. DeSanto should be ejected from the tournament. Fk him. I hope he doesn't AA. Some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen. He actively tried to injure Micic several times during the match.

Micic was all class.

Glad he isn't a Hawk after seeing that. I was cheering for him going into the tournament, but that was disgusting to watch.

Last edited:
This is not the first time he pulled crap this year.

What are you talking about? I see that all the time from Retherford...

He will lose some fans for it for sure.

No. I'm not exaggerating. He literally had an illegal kimura and was trying to break Micic's arm. Unbelievable that the ref didn't stop it.

Retherford is a physical wrestler and pushes the limit, but I've never seen him intentionally and deliberately attempt to injure an opponent.

The match was over. DeSanto was about to lose my major and went for a kimura submission with 10 seconds left.

No. I'm not exaggerating. He literally had an illegal kimura and was trying to break Micic's arm. Unbelievable that the ref didn't stop it.

Retherford is a physical wrestler and pushes the limit, but I've never seen him intentionally and deliberately attempt to injure an opponent.

The match was over. DeSanto was about to lose my major and went for a kimura submission with 10 seconds left.

I caught just the end and saw, was just messing about what you talking about. That is why I think he will lose some fans esp if he has been pulling that crap often. Not a way to make a name. Closest thing to it was Nico vs IL a couple years ago. Ref should have stopped it and I think the kids arm hyperextended. Dont think Nico was looking to injure but it was obvious what was going to happen.

The handspring before it was freaking hilarious. Actually look like DeSanto was having a meltdown during the entire match. He kept wanting to use injury timeout and complaining to the ref about something.

Yes, and no. He is a physical wrestler, but he gets away with dirty little things all the time (that he doesn't need to do anyway). Constantly thumbing opponents in the eye. When he has the bow and arrow in place, he will raise his body up off the mat and slam his shin/knee down into the opponents bent twisted knee.... He entered douche territory with me when after he won (easily by tech over Mayes from Mizzou in NCAA Final), he proceeded to stand up while continually shoving Mayes' head face down into the mat... just sayin'

He just attempted a kimura jiu jitsu submission on Micic in the 133 QF match. The back-up ref pointed at it, but didn't stop the match. No point was deducted. Horrible officiating. DeSanto should be ejected from the tournament. Fk him. I hope he doesn't AA. Some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen. He actively tried to injure Micic several times during the match.

Micic was all class.

Glad he isn't a Hawk after seeing that. I was cheering for him going into the tournament, but that was disgusting to watch.
Anyone have a replay? Can’t seem to find one.

Reactions: ih8iast8
I think you have to really understand DeSanto's intent.

The cartwheel was odd, but he was doing something, which we always want our guys to do at the end of a match. Score doesn't matter, but yeah, you don't want kids getting hurt out of spite for getting demolished in the match.

Now to some it looks like a deliberate act to break Micic's arm, and it's a move people see in MMA, so they tie it in whether it's really there or not. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not jumping to that conclusion just by seeing that video. Only Austin D. knows if he meant to do Micic harm.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't see what others see here. And frankly what I think doesn't mean a damn thing in this matter.

Kudos to Micic for staying above the meltdown.

DeSanto should have been DQ'ed. I would imagine there will be a conference with officials to discuss.
You guys should check out the interview with Micic on Flo if you have a minute. It's actually really good and he handled the whole deal with class. Latter part of the interview he simply stated, "I don't know if he can handle getting his ass beaten or what".....yet in all honesty, the interview shows a lot of class by Micic particularly given someone was trying to break his arm.

Go watch the video on Flo of DeSanto vs Chaz Tucker at EIWA’s... DeSanto was trailing late and was clearly trying to pull/grab/bend Tucker’s knee out of place. Agree that he should be DQ’d. He has a history of this.
If these things are true and intent is there, then by all means toss him and keep him tossed for however long it takes. His status to be eligible to wrestle is the same as everybody else's.

Thanks for posting the video. If it were up to me I'd DQ out of the tournament. I don't realy care what his problem is. And this is not the first time this year for DeSanto's nonsense.

Go watch the video on Flo of DeSanto vs Chaz Tucker at EIWA’s... DeSanto was trailing late and was clearly trying to pull/grab/bend Tucker’s knee out of place. Agree that he should be DQ’d. He has a history of this.

Thanks for posting this - I could not remember the match.

In my humble opinion Desanto did nothing wrong with the cartwheel. Just trying to create a flurry and score. However, and again just my humble opinion, as soon as he fell to his hip off of the cartwheel fail he immediately grabs the kimura.(double wrist lock) He attempts the kimura with a grapevine on Micic's free arm and as Micic frees his grapevined arm Desanto switches his hips to put more leverage into the kimura by putting his topside leg over Micic's head so that he can't posture up out of the lock. In my opinion Desanto was working that kimura like someone who was looking for a "tap" and not points. As a professional fighter and jiu-jitsu practitioner, Desanto knew what he was doing...

Thanks for posting the video. If it were up to me I'd DQ out of the tournament. I don't realy care what his problem is. And this is not the first time this year for DeSanto's nonsense.
I"m at the venue watching and DeSantos was yanking the arm and yes, I think he was trying to injure Miccic. I was cheering for him as well, but no more.

In my humble opinion Desanto did nothing wrong with the cartwheel. Just trying to create a flurry and score. However, and again just my humble opinion, as soon as he fell to his hip off of the cartwheel fail he immediately grabs the kimura.(double wrist lock) He attempts the kimura with a grapevine on Micic's free arm and as Micic frees his grapevined arm Desanto switches his hips to put more leverage into the kimura by putting his topside leg over Micic's head so that he can't posture up out of the lock. In my opinion Desanto was working that kimura like someone who was looking for a "tap" and not points. As a professional fighter and jiu-jitsu practitioner, Desanto knew what he was doing...
That seems like a pretty reasonable and descriptive viewpoint to me. If the folks in charge of the tournament view it the same way, we should not see him again, IMO. That may very well be how his tournament ends. Will be interesting to see, because I would think somebody somewhere is digging into it.

That raises a question. Can a wrestler be DQ’d from the tournament hours after a match based on video review? Anybody know?

I was actually expecting micic to tap while watching it.

So is a tap-out scored the same as a fall?
Doubt it. Would probably be the same as the "crying out" rule (sorry don't know the official term), unless of course the guy couldn't continue. There would stoppage, maybe injury time and then figure out who gets nailed from there.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I think you have to really understand DeSanto's intent.

The cartwheel was odd, but he was doing something, which we always want our guys to do at the end of a match. Score doesn't matter, but yeah, you don't want kids getting hurt out of spite for getting demolished in the match.

Now to some it looks like a deliberate act to break Micic's arm, and it's a move people see in MMA, so they tie it in whether it's really there or not. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not jumping to that conclusion just by seeing that video. Only Austin D. knows if he meant to do Micic harm.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't see what others see here. And frankly what I think doesn't mean a damn thing in this matter.
I happened to watch that match as I was interested in seeing Desanto. Training in mma I was calling it out to my girls as you could see he was adjusting his hips to pull the Kimora. You can clearly see him readjust his hips when Micic adjusts his arm/shoulder to try to lock it in. There was clearly intent to do damage. Surprised that refs couldn't see what was being attempted. I know refs on the high school level that can identify a possible submission attempt. I stand by what I said earlier, kid needs to be out of the tournament. Autistic or not he needs to be punished

I happened to watch that match as I was interested in seeing Desanto. Training in mma I was calling it out to my girls as you could see he was adjusting his hips to pull the Kimora. You can clearly see him readjust his hips when Micic adjusts his arm/shoulder to try to lock it in. There was clearly intent to do damage. Surprised that refs couldn't see what was being attempted. I know refs on the high school level that can identify a possible submission attempt. I stand by what I said earlier, kid needs to be out of the tournament. Autistic or not he needs to be punished
Interesting to get the MMA perspective from a couple of you. Thanks for the input. I’ve watched a lot of MMA but never would have noticed the adjusting of the hips as part of executing a Kimura.

DeSanto has to have some experience training in MMA, I’d think. You don’t just throw in a Kimura with an exclusively wrestling background.

Anyway, I assume it’s too late to DQ him from the tournament, correct?

Reactions: Twoooooooo
WDM Hawkeye, the maneuver in question is named after the three brothers that mastered it... Ken, Ray and Joe.

Interesting to get the MMA perspective from a couple of you. Thanks for the input. I’ve watched a lot of MMA but never would have noticed the adjusting of the hips as part of executing a Kimura.

DeSanto has to have some experience training in MMA, I’d think. You don’t just throw in a Kimura with an exclusively wrestling background.

Anyway, I assume it’s too late to DQ him from the tournament, correct?
You would be correct on your assumption of training in jiu jitsu. One of the hardest things for me was readjusting your mind set from a wrestlers mindset. It takes constant drilling to make it a muscle memory. Like I said before he knew exactly what he was doing especially after seeing the readjustment he made

ADVERTISEMENT