ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones accident

I come to this page in the hopes of seeing updates about Ava and her family. Can we move political debates somewhere else at least until we know if she and her family will be okay? Thanks.
Thank you ! This is so much bigger than basketball or politics. To use this tragic event as an attempt to justify a political position is insensitive and inappropriate IMO. Hawk fans should be better then this. Prayers for the entire family.

the sad part is what is she expected to fully recover from? a broken leg (or 2)?

this country has a huge drug (and gun) problem and too many innocent victims as a result
Stupid effing post. Wrong thread. Wrong time. Take this crap elsewhere in the future.

Don’t know how to delete a thread so I am asking the mods to do it. Some people can’t help themselves even in terrible circumstances. Not looking here for updates on her or her families condition.

Problem is with our lax laws, this pile of useless shit will be out soon. First offense DUI should be minimum one year in jail. If injuries result, should be tried for attempted murder and DUI, minimum 10 years.
This is not accurate

Don’t know how to delete a thread so I am asking the mods to do it. Some people can’t help themselves even in terrible circumstances. Not looking here for updates on her or her families condition.

Just leave it. Someone will keep adding to the actual news. This happens all the time on the off topic board.

You know what the main issue is? It's the moral decline of our society. Taking God and religion out of everything you end up with chaos. I know many of you don't like to hear that

Go ahead and keep blaming guns 🙄
Horseshit.

Religion is constantly weaponized in this country, particularly Christianity.

Damn I would have left my post up if I knew the thread was going to get moved

Problem is with our lax laws, this pile of useless shit will be out soon. First offense DUI should be minimum one year in jail. If injuries result, should be tried for attempted murder and DUI, minimum 10 years.

No.

I think he should be sentenced to being used as Kaydn Proctor's blocking/tackling dummy for a minimum of 3 seasons...

You know what the main issue is? It's the moral decline of our society. Taking God and religion out of everything you end up with chaos. I know many of you don't like to hear that

Go ahead and keep blaming guns 🙄
Guns are not an issue is this discussion.

Impaired driving laws need significant reform in a number of ways. It's one of the places the left and right meet at the end of the spectrum to keep things the way they are.

This family was both the product of poorly conceived and written law and also just simple bad luck, wrong place at the wrong time. There should be no drunk driving in a city with uber and taxis but there are millions of drunk drivers driving in those cities each year. That's the ineffective laws that need to be significantly re written.

The bad luck is simple. Most adults in the US drink-and that isn't going away. Drinking is part of the American concept of ordered liberty and drunk drivers are the inevitable product of that freedom.

The gun thing is more difficult because it's the collision of the Constitutional right to have and carry firearms, the Constitutional and statutory right to medical privacy (labeling dissenters as insane is a standard form of oppression practiced by every totalitarian regime in history) with the need to identify these bat shit crazy ****ers at a much earlier age.

So, best wishes to the family and I certainly hope Ava fully recovers and kicks ass for Iowa.

Least Religious Countries in the world..
  1. Czech Republic - 78.4%
  2. North Korea - 71.3%
  3. Estonia - 60.2%
  4. Japan - 60%
  5. Hong Kong (China) - 54.7%
  6. China - 51.8%
  7. South Korea - 46.6%
  8. Latvia - 45.3%
  9. Netherlands - 44.3%
  10. Uruguay - 41.5%
  11. New Zealand
  12. Mongolia
  13. France
  14. Falkland Islands
  15. UK
  16. Belgium
  17. Vietnam
  18. Sweden
  19. Australia
  20. Belarus
Safest Countries in the world…
  1. Switzerland
  2. Denmark
  3. Norway
  4. Canada
  5. New Zealand
  6. Finland
  7. Sweden
  8. Australia
  9. Netherlands
  10. Austria
  11. Ireland
  12. Belgium
  13. Japan
  14. Germany
  15. Singapore
  16. Portugal
  17. Spain
  18. UK
  19. Italy
  20. Poland

21. Seven crossovers are the least religious and simultaneously among the safest. So yeah, you are correct. Most of us don’t want to hear it because it’s BS.

But Kurt Warner says we need God. And of course guns. 😏

Reactions: hawksurprize
But Kurt Warner says we need God. And of course guns. 😏
SKIP THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ ABOUT POLITICS​

IDK about God, cuz I am not religious, but some kind of sickness has afflicted our population. I think I am older than you. I remember when anyone with a Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogue could fill out an order card for any kind of firearm and all the ammunition you wanted. Small town kids and teachers brought their shotguns into the parking lot, especially in deer season, frequently accompanied by a deer carcass that had just been shot.

No mass shootings, or actually far fewer and far longer between because someone would shoot up their workplace or the like every few years. "Going Postal" was the term of the age. So something in the culture has changed in a very destructive way.

We will never agree on the fundamentals but are there no solutions upon which we can agree. For example, we start strictly enforcing existing gun laws? Almost every gun crime in the country is committed by a felon in illegal possession of the firearm. It's a 5-year Class D in Iowa. Why not make that mandatory? The high crime states, or rather the 11 or 12 urban areas in the high crime states all have greater punishments for felon in possession than Iowa. So why aren't those guys in prison serving mandatory 5-10 year sentences? Why are they continuously released, or the gun charges dropped for a plea to other more trivial crimes? Wouldn't you agree with me that a felon with a firearm is kind of a recipe for violent crime? I have no problem with making the knowing illegal possession of a firearm a mandatory minimum crime.

Second, could we also agree that hardening schools is the most important priority of law enforcement, other than prevention of terrorism? I cannot think of a higher priority. Could we discuss ways to really harden schools? Municipalities, counties and states might have to dial back the traffic enforcement and have officers assigned to schools and the neighborhoods in which they are located?

There are things to be done right now that require no one to take a single firearm away from a person that will never commit a crime with that firearm.

IDK about God, cuz I am not religious, but some kind of sickness has afflicted our population. I think I am older than you. I remember when anyone with a Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogue could fill out an order card for any kind of firearm and all the ammunition you wanted. Small town kids and teachers brought their shotguns into the parking lot, especially in deer season, frequently accompanied by a deer carcass that had just been shot.

No mass shootings, or actually far fewer and far longer between because someone would shoot up their workplace or the like every few years. "Going Postal" was the term of the age. So something in the culture has changed in a very destructive way.

We will never agree on the fundamentals but are there no solutions upon which we can agree. For example, we start strictly enforcing existing gun laws? Almost every gun crime in the country is committed by a felon in illegal possession of the firearm. It's a 5-year Class D in Iowa. Why not make that mandatory? The high crime states, or rather the 11 or 12 urban areas in the high crime states all have greater punishments for felon in possession than Iowa. So why aren't those guys in prison serving mandatory 5-10 year sentences? Why are they continuously released, or the gun charges dropped for a plea to other more trivial crimes? Wouldn't you agree with me that a felon with a firearm is kind of a recipe for violent crime? I have no problem with making the knowing illegal possession of a firearm a mandatory minimum crime.

Second, could we also agree that hardening schools is the most important priority of law enforcement, other than prevention of terrorism? I cannot think of a higher priority. Could we discuss ways to really harden schools? Municipalities, counties and states might have to dial back the traffic enforcement and have officers assigned to schools and the neighborhoods in which they are located?

There are things to be done right now that require no one to take a single firearm away from a person that will never commit a crime with that firearm.

Actually I think we’re about the same age. And I understand your point about how it used to be, but it’s not that way anymore. It’s just not. And it’s never going back to how it used to be. Now, there’s tons of layers to this as we know. The urban core has been killing each other for 50-60 years. What we do about that I honestly don’t know. The Urban core is already the highest incarcerated part of every city, so what is the answer? In the last 25 -30 years it’s become the suburban and rural areas that are now committing most of the so called mass shootings. Parkland, Columbine, Highland Park. These are affluent areas. Uvalde, a very small border town in Texas. I don’t have any answers at all anymore. I think what we do know is most murders and mass killings are done with guns. What we do about it is the million dollar question. However, can we admit that what we are currently doing is not working?

Reactions: cyberhawk

please keep politics out out this.

Actually I think we’re about the same age. And I understand your point about how it used to be, but it’s not that way anymore. It’s just not. And it’s never going back to how it used to be. Now, there’s tons of layers to this as we know. The urban core has been killing each other for 50-60 years. What we do about that I honestly don’t know. The Urban core is already the highest incarcerated part of every city, so what is the answer? In the last 25 -30 years it’s become the suburban and rural areas that are now committing most of the so called mass shootings. Parkland, Columbine, Highland Park. These are affluent areas. Uvalde, a very small border town in Texas. I don’t have any answers at all anymore. I think what we do know is most murders and mass killings are done with guns. What we do about it is the million dollar question. However, can we admit that what we are currently doing is not working?
SKIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT POLITICS​

I understand that sentiment.

Do you remember all that silly shit from Fukiyama and "The End Of History" back in the 90s? Well I have a counter theory. I think Paul Kennedy had it right in "The Rise and Fall of Great Powers." The cycles of history are now running at the speed of internet connectivity instead of telephones or horses. Maybe we're just at the end of our days as an imperial superpower. Rome fell and this is what it looks like on the way down.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
IOWA CITY, Iowa (KCRG) - Trey Jones, the father of Iowa women’s basketball commit Ava Jones, died at 42.

The family was seriously injured in a crash in Louisville Tuesday night. The Jones family was at a basketball tournament.

According to Wichita station KWCH, Trey Jones was a teacher and head track coach at Nickerson High School, where Ava played.

A Jones Family Fund has been set up on GoFundMe.

No insurance coverage for the the driver if he was driving without a license. The underinsured provision of Ava's family's car insurance should be around $100,000, that's the standard policy I think.

Hopefully the go fund me page can raise a ton of cash. That family is going to have hellish healthcare expenses and a have just lost what I assume is the primary income source.

The dullard that hit them is looking at significant time. A judge could box car the sentences so this guy is looking at many years of prison time. Good for him.

No insurance coverage for the the driver if he was driving without a license. The underinsured provision of Ava's family's car insurance should be around $100,000, that's the standard policy I think.
I don’t think Ava’s family’s car insurance factors in. They were standing on the sidewalk when they got hit, not in their car.

I don’t think Ava’s family’s car insurance factors in. They were standing on the sidewalk when they got hit, not in their car.

I thought they were riding those electric scooters?

Personal or family health insurance probably the first thing to kick in. If her parents had an umbrella policy, would that apply?

Personal or family health insurance probably the first thing to kick in. If her parents had an umbrella policy, would that apply?
That would depend on how the umbrella policy is written. I’m pretty sure my umbrella policy only covers incidents that occur on my property.

I've seen a lot of insurance policies and coverage for a loss caused by a 3rd party not on the covered's property is very rare. Most people cannot afford an umbrella that large.

ADVERTISEMENT