ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones Medically Retired on June 7, 2024. Plus Other Updates on Her & Her Family

You realize that it may not be in HER best interest to do so correct? Without question the finality of her decision makes this a sad day, but as discussed earlier I think that her struggles are as much cognitive as physical. Other then just walking out on the court, it may not be safe for her to be out there. This is why she wasn't allowed to be on the bench as they were concerned she would not be able to respond quick enough either physically or mentally to a player or ball in her vacinity.
Thank you captain obvious.

Asia is a Sports Anchor & Reporter at KSN TV, an NBC affiliate in Wichita, Kansas.

the full text of her tweet:

It's been a bittersweet 24 hours for the Jones family out of Nickerson, Kansas...

Today, Ava Jones (@avajones_35) announced she is medically retiring from basketball after her freshman year at Iowa (@IowaWBB). She spent the last couple years fighting hard to recover from a tragic car accident that killed her father and left her and her mom in critical condition in 2022. She'll remain on scholarship and focus on getting her degree. She told me she is interested in becoming a sports broadcaster.

Also, her brother Hunter Jones (@GorillasTrack) found out that he has officially qualified for the 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials in the decathlon. His score of 7898 at the NCAA DII championships on May 24 is the eighth highest score in the nation this year, and from what I've calculated, ninth best of Olympic Trials qualifiers.

Such a resilient family, wishing them all the best ❤️

Absolutely. I could have seen her really filling a role as a 3/4 on the ladies roster. Really good athlete(track as well like Hannah) with size and rebounding prowess....

Everyone in that family can be described as tough as nails. Ava would have been the same on the basketball court.

But what's always worrisome is even though they seem tough on the outside and we see them smiling in pictures, imagine the depression they've gone through behind closed doors. They've been through mental hell as well as physical hell. Ava had to say good bye to her dad; now she has to say goodbye to her basketball career. So much has been taken away because of one selfish actor who thought it was a good idea to get behind the wheel of his car while high on drugs.

Everyone in that family can be described as tough as nails. Ava would have been the same on the basketball court.

But what's always worrisome is even though they seem tough on the outside and we see them smiling in pictures, imagine the depression they've gone through behind closed doors. They've been through mental hell as well as physical hell. Ava had to say good bye to her dad; now she has to say goodbye to her basketball career. So much has been taken away because of one selfish actor who thought it was a good idea to get behind the wheel of his car while high on drugs.
Well said, and very good points.
As someone who can battle my own mind, you never know what’s going on with another, and despite how resolute they all appear, hopefully they occasionally take time to just “lose their shit” when they need to. Nobody is perfectly strong and sometimes you just have to go with the breakdown and get back up when it’s done.

Amy Jones (Ava's mom) posted this message on Facebook:

Two years ago the month of June was filled with basketball recruiting visits and AAU tournaments. Ava’s future basketball career was bright. Thanks to the University of Iowa Women’s Basketball program and the team of people at the university who continue to support Ava through her recovery. Ava’s future is still full of possibilities, though it has been steered in a different direction than basketball. I know she’s in great hands and so proud she will be continuing her academic career at the University of Iowa.

447971070_18437364076007561_5564558160502095039_n.jpg

They are fine Trust me.

Here's a story recapping yesterday's Day 1 Decathlon results at the Olympic Trials.

Nickerson’s Hunter Jones competes at Olympic Trials

by: Daniel Fair
Friday, Jun 21, 2024 / 07:03 PM CDT

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Nickerson native and Pittsburg State decathlete Hunter Jones is currently trying to qualify for the Olympics.

A decathlete is an athlete who competes in 10 events. The person with the highest combined score wins.

Jones entered the competition Friday, June 21, with the 12th-best mark of the field.

Jones started things off in the 100-meter sprint. He ran his second-fastest time ever of 11.24 seconds, which started him out in 18th place. The first place time was 10.46 seconds.

Next up was the long jump. On his third attempt, he launched himself 22 feet and 11-and-a-quarter inches, which moved him up to 15th overall. The winner jumped 24-9¾.

In the shot put, Jones threw 45 feet and four inches, a new personal best by nearly half a foot. The winning throw was 54 feet, 2½ inches.

He competed in the high jump on Friday night. The high jump is arguably his best event, as he holds the collegiate championship record for the high jump in the decathlon. Hunter cleared 6-9½. Two others cleared 6-11¾ and ended up tied at that height.

The fifth event of the day was the 400 meters. The winner ran a time of 46.56.

After 5 events on day 1, Jones was in 12th place.

Reactions: FrankBurns00
6 minute video posted just an hour ago:

Yes, that was posted in another thread as you know. You just couldn't handle another Ava Jones thread being higher on the board than yours.

You are so eager to use the Jones family for likes and an excuse to bump your own thread it is almost like you are glad the accident happened.

Her head injury is probably the biggest hurdle for her. Just the trainer saying she needs to sync her right leg while running is as much (if not more) a cognitive issue as a physical one. All the best to her. Just her determination to get better, to me, supports she would have worked her tail off to be a quality player for the Hawks. I think she would have been a big contributor (on the court) to the team. She still is a big contributor in my book.

Her head injury is probably the biggest hurdle for her. Just the trainer saying she needs to sync her right leg while running is as much (if not more) a cognitive issue as a physical one. All the best to her. Just her determination to get better, to me, supports she would have worked her tail off to be a quality player for the Hawks. I think she would have been a big contributor (on the court) to the team. She still is a big contributor in my book.
Outstanding post Brother. This is what I alluded too in discussions fearing she would not be able to return to the court. Just from watching her move (even with her marked improvement) and when she speaks its seems pretty obvious that she had a significant TBI. I had a friend who had a couple of significant TBI.s (one while in the military), and they say after 1 1/2 to 2 years of recovery, thats pretty much where you'll be from a cognitive stand point. I just hope she'll be able to have a healthy productive life. My moneys on her, she's a fighter...

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT