ADVERTISEMENT

Avoid I-88 to Chicago

Made that mistake last week.. brutal. Feels like its been under construction for the last 2 years

Yep, made that mistake a few weeks ago. Like a 45-50 mile straight stretch of solid construction (other than where the toll booths are so you can have the honor of paying for driving 45mph for that long)...

Made that mistake last week.. brutal. Feels like its been under construction for the last 2 years
It has been. I believe they started this project in the Summer of 2015. I have given up on 88 when I go to Cubs games. When we go to the NW suburbs we have to take it. It’s a mind numbing drive.

Good looking out because we are going to Naperville tommorow. I’m not sure how we are getting there now if we try to avoid it haha.

Any suggestions?
1200px-Bell_206L3_%28D-HASA%29.jpg

I-80 is pretty clean, not sure the best route North from there.

Good looking out because we are going to Naperville tommorow. I’m not sure how we are getting there now if we try to avoid it haha.

Any suggestions?
My sister used to live in Naperville, take 80 over to exit 122 in Minooka, you'll go North right off the interstate it's Ridge Road. That will take you up to Naperville and has little to no traffic.

Reactions: lucas80
They should buy a plane ticket or stay home. That's the advice my friend gave me that drove there yesterday.

That's what I am doing ... staying home. Other family going to Wrigley to see the Cubs and then coming back the same day. Ugh.

I remember about 5 yrs ago late at night on I 88 watching a lambo weave in and out of the construction pylons. He was probably doing 95 + pretty cool/scary to watch. csb

Some family heading to Chicago on Saturday - which way should they go? I80 to I55?
We drove to downtown Chicago and that's how we went to avoid I-88. Other than some holdup on 55 heading into and out of Chicago it was perfectly fine. I have to go next week to Waukegan and will probably take 88 to 39 and over from there to avoid the construction.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I drive frequently to and from and 88-39-90 seems like the best combo for now. Then again I stop at Ohare and don’t deal with the 90 mess inbound from there.

I had a guy riding my ass on i88 in the construction zone last year.. it was 45 mph traffic and absolutely no reason for him to ride my ass since there was traffic in front of me. Anywho, one of the orange barrels separating the lanes was a little in the traffic lane and i purposely swerved to miss it last second.. dude riding my ass then drilled the orange barrel. I could see his wife bitching at him in the rearview. One of my favorite driving moments. /csb

I had a guy riding my ass on i88 in the construction zone last year.. it was 45 mph traffic and absolutely no reason for him to ride my ass since there was traffic in front of me. Anywho, one of the orange barrels separating the lanes was a little in the traffic lane and i purposely swerved to miss it last second.. dude riding my ass then drilled the orange barrel. I could see his wife bitching at him in the rearview. One of my favorite driving moments. /csb

That’s an alpha move imo

"Avoid Chicago" has been the mantra for Iowans for
many decades. Instead, many are choosing to go
to Minneapolis and enjoy the peace and serenity of
this major league city.

The trouble with large trucks is that they exceed the
weight limit and do not get caught by the state troopers.

Reactions: Joes Place
The trouble with large trucks is that they exceed the
weight limit and do not get caught by the state troopers.

Elon Musk's "hyperloop" would be a far more valuable entity, if tubes were built alongside existing roadways, and used to ship goods from station-to-station at 300+ mph.

Use trucks for drop off and pick-up locally at hyperloop stations. Now, your goods can get coast-to-coast in a matter of hours, irrespective of weather, cheaper than planes and minimize truck traffic on major thoroughfares. You'll still have some trucks for oversize loads, etc, but you could probably eliminate ~90% of the interstate truck traffic doing this.

I took 88 until the sterling exit to get onto 30 and missed all the construction. Looks like it is basically from Dixon to aurora.

Elon Musk's "hyperloop" would be a far more valuable entity, if tubes were built alongside existing roadways, and used to ship goods from station-to-station at 300+ mph.

Use trucks for drop off and pick-up locally at hyperloop stations. Now, your goods can get coast-to-coast in a matter of hours, irrespective of weather, cheaper than planes and minimize truck traffic on major thoroughfares. You'll still have some trucks for oversize loads, etc, but you could probably eliminate ~90% of the interstate truck traffic doing this.

Sign me up. Nothing more enfuriating than driving on the interstate and having a semi going 65 mph cut in front of you to pass a different semi going 64.5 mph.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT