ADVERTISEMENT

Awfully Quiet

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
It has been awfully quiet within the basketball program regarding filling the Asst. Coaches position and recruiting coordinators position. I know there is a time requirement before hiring. I think it is 30 days, no sure. Would be great if we knew who might be interviewing, but that is hush, hush also.

I agree that Gatens, Oliver, or Horner would be solid candidates. All ex-Iowa players, all with good coaching backgrounds. Will Fran select one from these three or someone new? I was going to say how about Danny Manning but Louisville scooped him up last month. Is there someone with good recruiting ties who Fran has a relationship with. I'm hoping he hires a younger coach, who can relate to these young Men.

Another position, possibly as critical is the recruiting coordinators role. What basketball hot bed should this coordinator have ties to?

Fran keeps things close to the vest which makes it hard to speculate what direction he might go.

It is the same with recruiting. Hard to know who we are in on, very few leaks come out of the basketball offices.

I'm sure we'll know something sooner than later.

It has been awfully quiet within the basketball program regarding filling the Asst. Coaches position and recruiting coordinators position. I know there is a time requirement before hiring. I think it is 30 days, no sure. Would be great if we knew who might be interviewing, but that is hush, hush also.

I agree that Gatens, Oliver, or Horner would be solid candidates. All ex-Iowa players, all with good coaching backgrounds. Will Fran select one from these three or someone new? I was going to say how about Danny Manning but Louisville scooped him up last month. Is there someone with good recruiting ties who Fran has a relationship with. I'm hoping he hires a younger coach, who can relate to these young Men.

Another position, possibly as critical is the recruiting coordinators role. What basketball hot bed should this coordinator have ties to?

Fran keeps things close to the vest which makes it hard to speculate what direction he might go.

It is the same with recruiting. Hard to know who we are in on, very few leaks come out of the basketball offices.

I'm sure we'll know something sooner than later.
I think any of the three Iowa alum mentioned would be solid choices, although I’m not sure Dean Oliver would make what would be, at best, a lateral move.

I also wonder if Fran would add a beloved former Iowa player to his staff with head coaching aspirations, as it’s been frequently discussed that Connor wants to chart a similar course. And since nepotism has become an Iowa tradition, I have my doubts Fran will choose someone who could potentially impede Connor’s path.

My guess is it will be another yes man. Please prove me wrong, Fran

I would hope for someone with ties to the east coast, but I'm guessing it'll be a former Iowa player based on sentiment around here. I wish he'd make a risky hire, take a chance on a young up and comer from the east coast.

Iowa has 2 openings. I hope one is someone with ties to Iowa and the other is someone with broader coaching and recruiting experience. I liked to move up for Eldridge as I think he is an excellent recruiter (primary for Bowen) who could help to elevate that aspect of this staff.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I think any of the three Iowa alum mentioned would be solid choices, although I’m not sure Dean Oliver would make what would be, at best, a lateral move.

I also wonder if Fran would add a beloved former Iowa player to his staff with head coaching aspirations, as it’s been frequently discussed that Connor wants to chart a similar course. And since nepotism has become an Iowa tradition, I have my doubts Fran will choose someone who could potentially impede Connor’s path.

it always seems you’re a glass half empty kinda guy ….
must be a real joy to be around!

I actually have no problem with holding a position for Connor. If Connor coaches/recruits as hard as he plays then I think it would be a good fit.

Can you stop with the Wisconsin to Iowa move would be "lateral" for Dean Oliver. Wisconsin has been 11 Sweet 16s since the last time we were there.
What 11 seasons were they? Just checking since they’ve only been to 10 in the history of Wisconsin men's basketball.

Reactions: natchrlman
I would hope for someone with ties to the east coast, but I'm guessing it'll be a former Iowa player based on sentiment around here. I wish he'd make a risky hire, take a chance on a young up and comer from the east coast.

They have 2 East coast guys. I'd be thrilled if the got someone with ties to Chicago/IL, the SE or Cali.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
My bad its like 8. Point still stands
Ebbs and flows. NO Sweet Sixteens before 2000 for Wiscy. One round of 32 before 2000. THREE NCAA tournament appearances between 1947 and 2000. Their history is relatively recent. It can go away just as quickly.
See Iowa as an example. Iowa had 8 Sweet 16 appearances between 1955 and 2000, and 14 round of 32 appearances between 1979 and 2000.

Some people talk about Fran's defense as if he doesn't actually try to coach defense.

Fran, and (at least up to now) his HIGHLY EXPERIENCED assistant coaches, understand defense very well and do coach it similar to most (but not all) teams, with the exception of some teams that heavily focus on defense as their identity.

Fran has more defensive schemes to pull from than most teams, and so at minimum they have to coach the scheme and the rotations. They have to coach multiple ways to handle the screen and roll. They have to coach defensive rebounding (we usually suck at this early in seasons, but do improve later in the season).

I'd give Fran and staff a "B" on defense and an "A+" on offense in terms of COACHING, but in terms of RESULTS it is probably a "C-" and "A+". From a coaching standpoint we could probably focus on certain fundamentals in terms of individuals (flattening out drivers, body position, physicality et al).

However, the gap between coaching and results to me is due to RECRUITING.

The reason we can't resolve the recruiting problem is because when you are fishing from the Top 100-300 ranked pool for recruits, most of them are either SKILLED or ATHLETIC but not both. The players that are both are higher ranked and it's hard for us to get them to Iowa especially if from an out of state urban area.

Fran has tended to choose SKILL over ATHLETICISM when forced to choose, and so despite not being overly athletic we still kill teams on offense, but defensively have to rely on zones and schemes to cover up our athleticism gaps. More recently he has recruited some athletes at the expense of skill (Joe T, Ulis) but you can see that those players aren't the perfect answer either.

As long as Fran can keep us in that Top 25 mix, and start providing more post season wins like the B10 tournament, but maybe with some NCAA wins lol, we will eventually be able to have our cake and eat it too - in the form of Top 100 athletes who are also skilled!

Some people talk about Fran's defense as if he doesn't actually try to coach defense.

Fran, and (at least up to now) his HIGHLY EXPERIENCED assistant coaches, understand defense very well and do coach it similar to most (but not all) teams, with the exception of some teams that heavily focus on defense as their identity.

Fran has more defensive schemes to pull from than most teams, and so at minimum they have to coach the scheme and the rotations. They have to coach multiple ways to handle the screen and roll. They have to coach defensive rebounding (we usually suck at this early in seasons, but do improve later in the season).

I'd give Fran and staff a "B" on defense and an "A+" on offense in terms of COACHING, but in terms of RESULTS it is probably a "C-" and "A+". From a coaching standpoint we could probably focus on certain fundamentals in terms of individuals (flattening out drivers, body position, physicality et al).

The reason we can't resolve the recruiting problem is because when you are fishing from the Top 100-300 ranked pool for recruits, most of them are either SKILLED or ATHLETIC but not both. The players that are both are higher ranked and it's hard for us to get them to Iowa especially if from an out of state urban area.

Fran has tended to choose SKILL over ATHLETICISM when forced to choose, and so despite not being overly athletic we still kill teams on offense, but defensively have to rely on zones and schemes to cover up our athleticism gaps. More recently he has recruited some athletes at the expense of skill (Joe T, Ulis) but you can see that those players aren't the perfect answer either.

As long as Fran can keep us in that Top 25 mix, and start providing more post season wins like the B10 tournament, but maybe with some NCAA wins lol, we will eventually be able to have our cake and eat it too - in the form of Top 100 athletes who are also skilled!
Not sure you can pigeon hole Ulis just yet. Last year was the first year he saw significant minutes, and that was after having surgery on his shooting arm wrist. Give him this next season to prove his offensive worth. He was just starting to come on at the end of last year.

100% agreement with this position. I think Fran has tried to go athletic (Moss class) but things fell apart.

Recently with the Murray’s, Patrick, Tony and Ulis….now Bowen, we are headed for getting our cake and eating it to. I think a healthy Josh Dix and Owen Freeman we’re really getting there…..JQ Roberts fits the mold so I would love to get him on board.

Lively thread but it is interesting nobody has much knowledge of what is going on inside the basketball office. I guess loose lips, sink ships. I think Fran believes that too much information can only hurt Iowa in recruiting. I truly believe it is a tough sell.

Lively thread but it is interesting nobody has much knowledge of what is going on inside the basketball office. I guess loose lips, sink ships. I think Fran believes that too much information can only hurt Iowa in recruiting. I truly believe it is a tough sell.
It has always been a tough sell. Always.

Eldridge is in his 40s, not what many would consider young (unfortunately).
Depends on the seniority, if it’s a complete newb assistant it is not young. Assistant head coach or head coach, that is absolutely young. A 40 year old with good experience and connections would be considered a good younger coach.

Reactions: topherchris20
Can you stop with the Wisconsin to Iowa move would be "lateral" for Dean Oliver. Wisconsin has been 8* Sweet 16s since the last time we were there.
Honestly, if he were to bring anything from that terrible Bo ball system including the pack-line defense… Hard Pass. Love Dean-o but no Connie stuff please.

Reactions: BBHawk
Everybody should listen to the Courtney Eldridge interview with Connor and Patrick. It was really good. He states Dasonte and him (former pg under Fran at UNCG ) will have lots of film sessions. I think he’s really going to try to take Dasonte under his wing, he’s his guy through and through.

Any chance that Fran could interest Ryan Bowen in a position on the coaching staff? Seems very unlikely, given his success in the NBA in coaching, but he is one of the best defensive players I have seen in a Hawkeye uniform.

Everybody should listen to the Courtney Eldridge interview with Connor and Patrick. It was really good. He states Dasonte and him (former pg under Fran at UNCG ) will have lots of film sessions. I think he’s really going to try to take Dasonte under his wing, he’s his guy through and through.
Where can I find this?

Depends on the seniority, if it’s a complete newb assistant it is not young. Assistant head coach or head coach, that is absolutely young. A 40 year old with good experience and connections would be considered a good younger coach.
Agree here. Also, anyone with experience in their 40s beats current staff in their 60s.

So if a Iowa assistant football coach that played at Indiana leaves for same position at Indiana, that is not lateral ?

that is bullshit assuming pay and duties are similar. Same pay. Same conference. Similar resources. It’s lateral .
Correct!

ADVERTISEMENT