ADVERTISEMENT

Awfully Quiet

However, the gap between coaching and results to me is due to RECRUITING.
Not trying to start a pissing contest, but how do you explain schools like Loyola, Dayton and Fordham having much better AdjD rankings by KenPom? I highly doubt they are getting better athletes, which leaves coaching philosophy / emphasis.

It seemed like IA played much better defense in Feb./ March than earlier in the year.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but how do you explain schools like Loyola, Dayton and Fordham having much better AdjD rankings by KenPom? I highly doubt they are getting better athletes, which leaves coaching philosophy / emphasis.

It seemed like IA played much better defense in Feb./ March than earlier in the year.
A fair question. Sometimes I wonder if Iowa's pace can be correlated to a bit of a drop of Def Efficiency, not sure if there is a correlation there. Most of those other teams are slower pace I think, but I didn't check. Iowa does keep turnovers really, really low so that helps.

I agree they played defense at a Top 60 level or so the last stretch. Maybe that's because they have to figure out their rotations in the zones they play or adjust their man to man to their personnel - like how to handle the pick and roll. Perkins starting was a big boost probably, as it helped our defensive rebounding which clearly will kill you on defensive efficiency.

I do think there are some things the staff could emphasize more or consider defensively, to be sure.

Why wouldn't Matty G be a good assistant? His Dad is a great HS coach, he was an outstanding and heady college player, has seen sort of the entry level professional ball and I think has some limited coaching experience.

He's certainly young enough to relate to HS recruits. Putting all that into a great Hawkeye legacy is just good program building.

If Matt does come back to Iowa City as an asst. coach, what a story that would be. I remember his Dad playing for West and then Iowa in the early 70's. His Mom was an Iowa cheerleader. The name Gatens is synonymous with Iowa basketball. Matt is in his mid-30's so he would be a younger coach on the staff. Hope that comes to fruition.

Then Fran can target a recruiting coordinator who has ties to a certain basketball areas or cities The carrot to come to Iowa is Dillard will be retiring sooner than later, opening another asst. coaches position. Maybe even a high school coach? Just spit balling.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Matty G be a good assistant? His Dad is a great HS coach, he was an outstanding and heady college player, has seen sort of the entry level professional ball and I think has some limited coaching experience.

He's certainly young enough to relate to HS recruits. Putting all that into a great Hawkeye legacy is just good program building.
where are you saying Mike is a great coach at? plus not sure we need someone on staff who will help us recruit in Iowa.

Reactions: BlameIt
where are you saying Mike is a great coach at? plus not sure we need someone on staff who will help us recruit in Iowa.
Where he coaches isn't really relevant but I think everyone knows Gator coaches at Iowa City West.

Why do you think his recruiting skills wouldn't translate beyond Iowa? I'm sure he's made contacts down south from Auburn days. He would be a very well-known guy in about the entire Midwest and big ten areas. Every HS coach would know of him and probably have an open door. Ex-teammates from some of Matt's various low pro play could be coaches or at least door openers at some new places.

No reason to sell Matt short until we've seen what he can do, if he really does come to Iowa.

Reactions: perryhawk
Where he coaches isn't really relevant but I think everyone knows Gator coaches at Iowa City West.

Why do you think his recruiting skills wouldn't translate beyond Iowa? I'm sure he's made contacts down south from Auburn days. He would be a very well-known guy in about the entire Midwest and big ten areas. Every HS coach would know of him and probably have an open door. Ex-teammates from some of Matt's various low pro play could be coaches or at least door openers at some new places.

No reason to sell Matt short until we've seen what he can do, if he really does come to Iowa.
You know Gatens coaches at Drake right?

I thought you were talking about Mike. I re read the comments. I think Matt coaches at Drake now. Thought he spent some time at NDSU and I know he was something in the Auburn staff.
Mike Gatens doesn't coach basketball at Iowa City West. Maybe you are confusing him with Steve Bergman?
Iowa City West Boys Basketball Coaches

think it’s relavant

it’s relevant based on your saying he WAS a GREAT high school coach and at least MOST people know he doesn’t coach at West. as far as where Matt could or could not recruit we could and should do better.

Better e- mail Fran quickly before he even considers hiring Gatens.

Mike has never been a coach at West High. Good Lord, where do you come up with this stuff?

Mike has never been a coach at West High. Good Lord, where do you come up with this stuff?
**** man, you got me. I guessed wrong. Nooooooooooo! How could this be?

Not a big follower of HS basketball. Had to tap into some long term memory and the older you get the longer the long term becomes. Take a moment and enjoy your win. I'm sure we'll meet again.

**** man, you got me. I guessed wrong. Nooooooooooo! How could this be?

Not a big follower of HS basketball. Had to tap into some long term memory and the older you get the longer the long term becomes. Take a moment and enjoy your win. I'm sure we'll meet again.

So you “guessed” at what Matt’s dad does for a living…then claimed he was great at it…while also claiming it was at the rival school of where Matt played?

Last edited:
So you “guessed” af what Matt’s dad does for a living…then claimed he was great at it…while also claiming it was at the rival school of where Matt played?

Yeah, that is what I thought. It appears I was wrong. Had that set in my head for some reason. Not wrong often but it does happen. So, there you were right, I think and I was wrong. Enjoy that without the need for further rubbing it in my face.

Gatens was more of an opportunistic defender than anything - his 1.4 steals/game his senior season equals Toussaint’s mark this year, though I don’t recall his on or off ball defense being anything special

Matt’s certainly qualified for the Iowa job, and if he can help identify/land dynamic two-way backcourt players, then even better. Welcome!

Reactions: BBHawk
Gatens was more of an opportunistic defender than anything - his 1.4 steals/game his senior season equals Toussaint’s mark this year, though I don’t recall his on or off ball defense being anything special

Matt’s certainly qualified for the Iowa job, and if he can help identify/land dynamic two-way backcourt players, then even better. Welcome!
Matt wasn't known for lunging out-of-control to get steals, or being super fast with his feet. But he did know how to get in position and use his strength and experience to force opponents into mistakes, similar to how CMac defends. He was decent by the time he left.

Yes - guessing you missed or forgot how great of a 2 way player he was his senior year.
That is one thing I did remember correctly, although I might say more very good than great. Seems like Matt was good at getting in the right place at the right time, heady defender. Insufficiently athletic to be a top flight defender. Fits the profile of a guy who can coach what he couldn't do.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Greg Lansing just got let go from Indiana St and was fairly successful there. (2nd all-time in school wins) I have a feeling Fran has him on a short wish list.
Except he is a tie to the Alford staff, right? I hate to damn a coach for that. He was supposedly known for defense, but Indiana State finished 246th in defensive efficiency last year. To put that in perspective, Iowa finished at 141st.

Except he is a tie to the Alford staff, right? I hate to damn a coach for that. He was supposedly known for defense, but Indiana State finished 246th in defensive efficiency last year. To put that in perspective, Iowa finished at 141st.
Yes tied to Alford staff, but fits mold of long time D1 coach with recruiting ties outside of Iowa and grew up in Western Iowa.

Where are you seeing 141st? Kenpom had them at 80.

ADVERTISEMENT