ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala WNO

Couple years rolling around with SL...

We AGREE Mitch. Watta you know.

And correct - a year under SL's wing and this kid is primed big time as a RS FR. Clearly Ayala the aggressor and deep on a few other TD shots. I've followed this kid his whole career. I think only losses were to Schriever when he was a freshman (as far as Iowa HS). Straight up STUD!

Questionable call on Ayala's second takedown for sure. Looked incidental, but either way Drake looks good. Very exciting and thanks for sharing.

Questionable call on Ayala's second takedown for sure. Looked incidental, but either way Drake looks good. Very exciting and thanks for sharing.

I think it was legit. While I don't know if he purposely grabbed it, it's tough to call incidental when it changed the trajectory of the score. I was more interested to see his response to adversity. Winning the match and all of a sudden it's tied. He could have been satisfied to go into OT but he had one more legit shot before regulation was up.

IMO, you can't teach wrestling not to lose vs wrestling to win. Every coach preaches it but not many have the swag to support the ethos.

Ayala looked great. He had a game plan and stuck to it and stayed aggressive. He looked like the better wrestler and I'm glad he got the win as that isn't always the case. Most of Figs offense was counters on Ayala's shots. We got a good one in Ayala. A year with SL will make him great IMO.

Reactions: nearfall2
The focus and mettle after the infraction was enough for me. We will be just fine post Spencer Lee.

Drake had the goods to best the top p4p in the country so I real happy he is going to be a Hawk.
Can any of you local guys give some inside prospective on why this young man will thrive at Iowa, also how you may think his style will excel training with SL and AD?
I have not seen many of Drake’s matches and I know iron sharpens iron, I’m just looking for the inside scoop from guys who may have witnessed a lot of his HS matches.

Drake had the goods to best the top p4p in the country so I real happy he is going to be a Hawk.
Can any of you local guys give some inside prospective on why this young man will thrive at Iowa, also how you may think his style will excel training with SL and AD?
I have not seen many of Drake’s matches and I know iron sharpens iron, I’m just looking for the inside scoop from guys who may have witnessed a lot of his HS matches.
He’s the real deal. Can ride. Good on his feet. Great defense. Can get out on bottom. However. Not sure with the kneeling on his feet. Spencer, ad will only benefit him. His is real good. I really feel that Ybarra is gonna surprise a lot of people. And feel like he isn’t getting his just due. Guess time will tell.

Reactions: Grip220

Super 32 runner up
2x Fargo Champ
2x HS champ (lost as a freshman to Cullen Schriever)
WNO winner over P4P #1

Comes from a great family, is a hard worker and comes from a good HS program in Fort Dodge and club team in Sebolt. Just might be the best prospect to come out of Iowa in a very long time. There's your inside prospective

Super 32 runner up
2x Fargo Champ
2x HS champ (lost as a freshman to Cullen Schriever)
WNO winner over P4P #1

Comes from a great family, is a hard worker and comes from a good HS program in Fort Dodge and club team in Sebolt. Just might be the best prospect to come out of Iowa in a very long time. There's your inside prospective

Belive he has a younger brother that will be a FR at Fort Dodge this year

Even better. How good is the brother?
He's always been on the smaller side like Drake was. He's always been solid, but to me it seems over the last couple years he's jumped levels. It would have been nice to see how he would have done at Fargo this past summer. I imagine the the battles in the Sebolt room with him and Jesaroga are good. There is a even younger brother too he might be a 3rd or 4th grader.

He's always been on the smaller side like Drake was. He's always been solid, but to me it seems over the last couple years he's jumped levels. It would have been nice to see how he would have done at Fargo this past summer. I imagine the the battles in the Sebolt room with him and Jesaroga are good. There is a even younger brother too he might be a 3rd or 4th grader.
Glad to hear. Hopefully the family line is through the Iowa wrestling program.

Reactions: Pyeman
Drake has an unlimited gas tank. Kind of his M.O in some previous big matches was to get down early and storm back. What made his win over Figs most impressive to me was he didn’t need to do that. He got the first TD and took it to him from the opening whistle.

To go along with that tank, he has very heavy hands and is constantly moving. An elite sweep single and snap down go behinds.

Reactions: Grip220
He’s the real deal. Can ride. Good on his feet. Great defense. Can get out on bottom. However. Not sure with the kneeling on his feet. Spencer, ad will only benefit him. His is real good. I really feel that Ybarra is gonna surprise a lot of people. And feel like he isn’t getting his just due. Guess time will tell.
I feel like in this match against figs, the kneel on the mat while neutral was a game plan to stop figs explosiveness from his feet

Reactions: sdvike and Jrjt0518
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT