ADVERTISEMENT

Ayn Rand on Abortion. Do You Agree or Disagree?

Do you agree or disagree with Ayn Rand's views on abortion as characterized in the video?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I don't have a video of Rand herself addressing abortion, but I think this fellow from the Ayn Rand Institute does a clear job of summarizing in about 1 minute. Video cued to just before he begins.

I would guess that a significant majority of people disagree with the statement that, "a fetus is not a person, it is a potential person".

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I would guess that a significant majority of people disagree with the statement that, "a fetus is not a person, it is a potential person".
Isn't that the whole argument in a nutshell, close anyway? Since the majority is pro-choice I would think the majority agree with the quote, at least up to x number of weeks.

Last edited:
A fetus is a person deserving of life until the fetus is born and it’s your time to go down in a hail of gunfire….then…..freedom

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think that rights should begin around the time the fetal brain becomes active, so I do not completely agree with Rand.

You don't agree that a fetus is a potential person?
Does a person drop their ‘potentiality’ at some measurable interval? Or is it entirely a function of geography?
I would think the Objectivists have a non-subjective line for this, being Objectivists and all.

"Potential person"? What else will a fetus potentially develop into if not a person?

Uh, you realize a significant number don't develop into anything, right. They are miscarried, they never actually develop and a woman has her next period, they start to develop in a fallopian tube and kill the mother (well, in states that went back to the 1880s). There are many things that happen to fetuses that don't involve being born. So yeah, "potential" person is a pretty good description.

Reactions: BelemNole
Uh, you realize a significant number don't develop into anything, right. They are miscarried, they never actually develop and a woman has her next period, they start to develop in a fallopian tube and kill the mother (well, in states that went back to the 1880s). There are many things that happen to fetuses that don't involve being born. So yeah, "potential" person is a pretty good description.
Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

I clearly stated "... develop into". A miscarriage isn't developing is it?

But interesting that you default to the "it may or not die anyway, so it's fine". Same logic as those who discounted elderly/sick dying during covid since "they were probably dying soon anyway".

That’s odd because I believe it’s exactly the opposite of that. The vast majority of our laws also align with that sentiment as well.

When they can keep their room clean and do their chores.

Or, when they leave home and go out on their own.

Whichever comes first.
Most Stone Age human societies routinely practiced infanticide, and estimates of children killed by infanticide in the Mesolithic and Neolithic eras vary from 15 to 50 percent. Infanticide continued to be common in most societies after the historical era began, including ancient Greece, ancient Rome, the Phoenicians, ancient China, ancient Japan, Aboroginal Australia, Native Americans, and Native Alaskans.

Infanticide became forbidden in Europe and the Near East during the 1st millennium. Christianity forbade infanticide from its earliest times, which led Constantine the Great and Valentinian I to ban infanticide across the Roman Empire in the 4th century. The practice ceased in Arabia in the 7th century after the founding of Islam, since the Quran prohibits infanticide. Infanticide of male babies had become uncommon in China by the Ming dynasty(1368–1644), whereas infanticide of female babies became more common during the One-Child Policy era (1979–2015). During the period of Company rule in India, the East India Company attempted to eliminate infanticide but were only partially successful, and female infanticide in some parts of India still continues. Infanticide is now very rare in industrialised countries but may persist elsewhere

Third trimester-ish? I’m really no one to ask since as a man my opinion shouldn’t mean jack squat.
Are you assuming a man can’t have a baby?

I believe the Objectivist would tell you to check your premise.

ADVERTISEMENT