ADVERTISEMENT

Ayn Rand reviews children's movies......

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
From The New Yorker:

“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”

An industrious young woman neglects to charge for her housekeeping services and is rightly exploited for her naïveté. She dies without ever having sought her own happiness as the highest moral aim. I did not finish watching this movie, finding it impossible to sympathize with the main character. —No stars.

“Bambi”

The biggest and the strongest are the fittest to rule. This is the way things have always been. —Four stars.

“Old Yeller”

A farm animal ceases to be useful and is disposed of humanely. A valuable lesson for children. —Four stars.

“Lady and the Tramp”

A ridiculous movie. What could a restaurant owner possibly have to gain by giving away a perfectly good meal to dogs, when he could sell it at a reasonable price to human beings? A dog cannot pay for spaghetti, and payment is the only honest way to express appreciation for value. —One star.

“101 Dalmatians”

A wealthy woman attempts to do her impoverished school friend Anita a favor by purchasing some of her many dogs and putting them to sensible use. Her generosity is repulsed at every turn, and Anita foolishly and irresponsibly begins acquiring even more animals, none of which are used to make a practical winter coat. Altruism is pointless. So are dogs. A cat is a far more sensible pet. A cat is objectively valuable. —No stars.

“Mary Poppins”

A woman takes a job with a wealthy family without asking for money in exchange for her services. An absurd premise. Later, her employer leaves a lucrative career in banking in order to play a children’s game. —No stars.

“Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory”

An excellent movie. The obviously unfit individuals are winnowed out through a series of entrepreneurial tests and, in the end, an enterprising young boy receives a factory. I believe more movies should be made about enterprising young boys who are given factories. —Three and a half stars. (Half a star off for the grandparents, who are sponging off the labor of Charlie and his mother. If Grandpa Joe can dance, Grandpa Joe can work.)

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

Taxation is also a form of theft. In a truly free society, citizens should pay only as much as they are willing for the services they require. —Three stars.

“Charlotte’s Web”

A farmer allows sentimental drawings by a bug to prevail over economic necessity and refuses to value his prize pig, Wilbur, by processing and selling him on the open market. Presumably, the pig still dies eventually, only without profiting his owners. The farmer’s daughter, Fern, learns nothing except how to become an unsuccessful farmer. There is a rat in this movie. I quite liked the rat. He knew how to extract value from his environment. —Two stars.

“The Muppets Take Manhattan”

This movie was a disappointment. The Muppets do not take Manhattan at all. They merely visit it. —No stars.

Beauty and the Beast”

A young woman rejects a financially independent hunter in favor of an unemployed nobleman who lives off of the labor of others. Also, there are no trains in this movie. I did like the talking clock, who attempted to take pride in his work despite constant attacks on his dignity by the candlestick. The candlestick did not take his job seriously. —Two stars.

“The Little Mermaid”

A young woman achieves all of her goals. She finds an object of value—in this case, a broad-chested brunet man—and sacrifices as much as she believes necessary (the ocean, talking, etc.) in order to acquire him. —Four stars.

“Babe”

Another pig farmer fails to do his job. —No stars.

“Toy Story”

At last, a full-length feature about the inherent value of possessions. —Four stars.

“Garfield”

I liked this movie. Cats are inherently valuable animals. It makes sense that there should be a movie about a cat. I could demonstrate the objective value of a cat, if I wanted to. —Four stars.

“Up”

A man refuses to sell his home to serve the convenience of others, which is his right as an American citizen. He meets a dog, which neither finds food for him nor protects him from danger. He would have been better off with a cat. There are no cats in this movie. —Two stars.

“Frozen”

An exceptional woman foolishly allows her mooching family members to keep her from ruling a kingdom of ice in perfect solitude. She is forced to use her unique powers to provide free entertainment for peasants, without compensation. I liked the snowman, when he sang. —One star.

From The New Yorker:

An industrious young woman neglects to charge for her housekeeping services and is rightly exploited for her naïveté. She dies without ever having sought her own happiness as the highest moral aim. I did not finish watching this movie, finding it impossible to sympathize with the main character. —No stars.

“Bambi”

The biggest and the strongest are the fittest to rule. This is the way things have always been. —Four stars.

“Old Yeller”

A farm animal ceases to be useful and is disposed of humanely. A valuable lesson for children. —Four stars.

“Lady and the Tramp”

A ridiculous movie. What could a restaurant owner possibly have to gain by giving away a perfectly good meal to dogs, when he could sell it at a reasonable price to human beings? A dog cannot pay for spaghetti, and payment is the only honest way to express appreciation for value. —One star.

“101 Dalmatians”

A wealthy woman attempts to do her impoverished school friend Anita a favor by purchasing some of her many dogs and putting them to sensible use. Her generosity is repulsed at every turn, and Anita foolishly and irresponsibly begins acquiring even more animals, none of which are used to make a practical winter coat. Altruism is pointless. So are dogs. A cat is a far more sensible pet. A cat is objectively valuable. —No stars.

“Mary Poppins”

A woman takes a job with a wealthy family without asking for money in exchange for her services. An absurd premise. Later, her employer leaves a lucrative career in banking in order to play a children’s game. —No stars.

An excellent movie. The obviously unfit individuals are winnowed out through a series of entrepreneurial tests and, in the end, an enterprising young boy receives a factory. I believe more movies should be made about enterprising young boys who are given factories. —Three and a half stars. (Half a star off for the grandparents, who are sponging off the labor of Charlie and his mother. If Grandpa Joe can dance, Grandpa Joe can work.)

Taxation is also a form of theft. In a truly free society, citizens should pay only as much as they are willing for the services they require. —Three stars.

“Charlotte’s Web”

A farmer allows sentimental drawings by a bug to prevail over economic necessity and refuses to value his prize pig, Wilbur, by processing and selling him on the open market. Presumably, the pig still dies eventually, only without profiting his owners. The farmer’s daughter, Fern, learns nothing except how to become an unsuccessful farmer. There is a rat in this movie. I quite liked the rat. He knew how to extract value from his environment. —Two stars.

This movie was a disappointment. The Muppets do not take Manhattan at all. They merely visit it. —No stars.

Beauty and the Beast”

A young woman rejects a financially independent hunter in favor of an unemployed nobleman who lives off of the labor of others. Also, there are no trains in this movie. I did like the talking clock, who attempted to take pride in his work despite constant attacks on his dignity by the candlestick. The candlestick did not take his job seriously. —Two stars.

“The Little Mermaid”

A young woman achieves all of her goals. She finds an object of value—in this case, a broad-chested brunet man—and sacrifices as much as she believes necessary (the ocean, talking, etc.) in order to acquire him. —Four stars.

“Babe”

“Toy Story”

At last, a full-length feature about the inherent value of possessions. —Four stars.

“Garfield”

I liked this movie. Cats are inherently valuable animals. It makes sense that there should be a movie about a cat. I could demonstrate the objective value of a cat, if I wanted to. —Four stars.

“Up”

A man refuses to sell his home to serve the convenience of others, which is his right as an American citizen. He meets a dog, which neither finds food for him nor protects him from danger. He would have been better off with a cat. There are no cats in this movie. —Two stars.

“Frozen”

An exceptional woman foolishly allows her mooching family members to keep her from ruling a kingdom of ice in perfect solitude. She is forced to use her unique powers to provide free entertainment for peasants, without compensation. I liked the snowman, when he sang. —One star.
I wish those really were her reviews. Some are great.

From The New Yorker:

“Bambi”

“Old Yeller”

“Lady and the Tramp”

“101 Dalmatians”

“Mary Poppins”

“Charlotte’s Web”

Beauty and the Beast”

“The Little Mermaid”

“Babe”

“Toy Story”

“Garfield”

“Up”

“Frozen”

awesome.gif

I would nominate you as POTY if that was your own material. Hard to pick a favorite. Probably between 101 Dalmatians and charlotte's web.

Am I the only liberal here who likes Ayn Rand?
i thought both Fountain and Atlas were great novels with riveting characters and original ideas. i didn’t and don’t pursue the books for philosophy or ideology as seems to be the general tendency on both sides of the aisle. It should not be a sin to consider her a great American writer.

That said those two books are the sum total of my exposure to Ayn Rand.

Slightly off topic. . . last night my wife let the kids watch Old Yeller and to prevent what she feared was a meltdown waiting to happen stopped the movie before the end. The two boys seemed ok with this but my daughter protested.

So my wife took our daughter back to see the end of the film.

That went way too well IMO for a 6 year old girl. She didn't cry, she just said it was kind of sad. Than she went and told her brothers what happened at the end.

She said (something like this) "A wof (she doesn't pronounce the L in wolf for some reason) attacked and gave the dog rabies and the older boy had to shoot the dog so he died. But it's ok, because they had a puppy."

I was both amused by her surprisingly utilitarian view on the life of the dog but also slightly concerned.

What kind of 6 year old doesn't cry when the dog dies at the end???

In fact come to think of it, this ending did not upset any of my children (Who are ages 5, 6, and 7).

Am I doing something wrong as a parent? Children are suppose to cry when the dog dies at the end. . . hell many adults do. Are my children broken?

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Slightly off topic. . . last night my wife let the kids watch Old Yeller and to prevent what she feared was a meltdown waiting to happen stopped the movie before the end. The two boys seemed ok with this but my daughter protested.

That went way too well IMO for a 6 year old girl. She didn't cry, she just said it was kind of sad. Than she went and told her brothers what happened at the end.

She said (something like this) "A wof (she doesn't pronounce the L in wolf for some reason) attacked and gave the dog rabies and the older boy had to shoot the dog so he died. But it's ok, because they had a puppy."

I was both amused by her surprisingly utilitarian view on the life of the dog but also slightly concerned.

In fact come to think of it, this ending did not upset any of my children.

Am I doing something wrong as a parent?
I'm a lot older than 6 and I still cry at the end.

In fact come to think of it, this ending did not upset any of my children (Who are ages 5, 6, and 7).

Am I doing something wrong as a parent? Children are suppose to cry when the dog dies at the end. . . hell many adults do. Are my children broken?
Wait, is this a story about your daughter or Marjorie Taylor Greene?

You should read this:

Reactions: BelemNole
You should read this:

Paywall

That was something that crossed my mind but I doubt it's likely because of other issues.

She bawled for like 20 minutes when she learned that upon growing up she would move out of our house because she would miss us. And she did cry also when she learned that her dog will eventually die. (He's not dying right now, that was just sort of part of the lesson that all creatures eventually die.)

She's usually the most tenderhearted one. But Old Yeller . . . just didn't seem to phase her that much.

Maybe they have been watching too much Lion King. They talk a great deal about Mufasa and Scar falling off the cliff and dying.

Reactions: lucas80
Paywall

That was something that crossed my mind but I doubt it's likely because of other issues.

She bawled for like 20 minutes when she learned that upon growing up she would move out of our house because she would miss us. And she did cry also when she learned that her dog will eventually die. (He's not dying right now, that was just sort of part of the lesson that all creatures eventually die.)

She's usually the most tenderhearted one. But Old Yeller . . . just didn't seem to phase her that much.

Maybe they have been watching too much Lion King. They talk a great deal about Mufasa and Scar falling off the cliff and dying.
It’s actually a fascinating article. And you are in good shape - as long as they exhibit empathy at all, they are likely not psychopathic.

Reactions: Torg
From The New Yorker:

“Bambi”

“Old Yeller”

“Lady and the Tramp”

“101 Dalmatians”

“Mary Poppins”

“Charlotte’s Web”

Beauty and the Beast”

“The Little Mermaid”

“Babe”

“Toy Story”

“Garfield”

“Up”

“Frozen”

Ayn Rand's review of @torbee op-

"Too much unnecessary space between sources quoted, and without any thought of his own. Simple regurgitation to elicit a response and indulge his inner downfalls".

Reactions: torbee
Am I the only liberal here who likes Ayn Rand?

Christopher Hitchens conceded the idea that she has a point about some level of selfishness being needed for human beings as a whole to progress, but he added (and I’m paraphrasing it as I remember it): you don’t need to convince human beings to be selfish, let alone dedicate an entire book to this argument.

Reactions: torbee
That's what I'm concerned about. A lot of adults cry at the end of old yeller. But my 6 year old is like "Meh it happens. . . Besides they had a new dog."

Your daughter is going to grow up to be a serial killer. They typically start by killing a family pet, then the parents are next. RIP in Peace. Or RIP in Pieces, depending on how she goes about killing you & disposing of your body.

Christopher Hitchens conceded the idea that she has a point about some level of selfishness being needed for human beings as a whole to progress, but he added (and I’m paraphrasing it as I remember it): you don’t need to convince human beings to be selfish, let alone dedicate an entire book to this argument.
So . . . his complaint wasn't that she was wrong but that she wrote a book. Seems like a dangerously snarky criticism for a fellow-author to voice. Then again snarkiness is part of what we liked about Hitchens.

Here are a few good reasons for a liberal not to hate Ayn Rand.

Her philosophy, which is became the foundation of the American flavor of libertarianism, places a high value on individual liberty, individual achievement, honesty, and respect for the lives and property of others.

She was an atheist and eschewed all forms of superstition.

She favored free love.

She opposed borders preventing people seeking jobs or a better life from voting with their feet.

Her philosophy (but not always she herself) opposed the Vietnam war and most wars. She opposed the draft.

She was a strong advocate of free speech.

She valued (limited) government as a protector of rights and liberty. Sure, she was critical of democracy, but mainly because she thought that it could be abused to threaten rather than protect rights and liberties. But she was even more opposed to authoritarian forms of government.

So there are some things that most liberals would at least partly agree with - and some we should strongly agree with.

I assume I don't have to point out where she is wrong. But I can take a stab at that, too, if anyone wishes.

[Disclaimer: I'm doing this off the top of my head from vague recollections of reading her books and debating her positions back in college - which we all know was in the late paleolithic.]

ADVERTISEMENT