ADVERTISEMENT

B10 Restart Update (Wed)...confirmed source in this thread...

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
NU President says this. Well, at least we have a real source with confirmed audio! Gotta give Nebraska some credit here, they have been fighting with Iowa since the cancel announcement and have been pushing hard.

So what was the update? The interview had no new information or details. Something may happen at some point in the future?

This is getting to be one of those situations where you wanted something really bad, but there's just so many hoops and hurdles that it's gotten so annoying where you don't even give a damn anymore...... I would love to get B1G football going, but just freakin say if it's gonna happen this season or not, I don't care if it doesn't anymore but stop stringing everyone along... jeeeeeez

This is getting to be one of those situations where you wanted something really bad, but there's just so many hoops and hurdles that it's gotten so annoying where you don't even give a damn anymore...... I would love to get B1G football going, but just freakin say if it's gonna happen this season or not, I don't care if it doesn't anymore but stop stringing everyone along... jeeeeeez
Exactly! Kind of like that vacation you want to go on. First, trying like mad to get time off work, then get plane tickets, resort, activities, etc, etc...finally, it becomes so much work and will cost so much you say the heck with it and just decide to stay home!

We’ve passed the point of it being sad that people care so much about watching a bunch of 18-22 year olds run around and hit each other while we have an entire generation of kids that are going to have a stunted development from remote learning all because people won’t adjust their lifestyles

what’s the over/under on how many more games get canceled this weekend before people wake up and realize it’s a bad idea to be playing college football this year?

We’ve passed the point of it being sad that people care so much about watching a bunch of 18-22 year olds run around and hit each other while we have an entire generation of kids that are going to have a stunted development from remote learning all because people won’t adjust their lifestyles

what’s the over/under on how many more games get canceled this weekend before people wake up and realize it’s a bad idea to be playing college football this year?

stunted development for an entire generation? So 20 years worth of kids that will be messed up? WTF. Kids much more likely to get this in school than out playing ball. So you then advocate for the same thing you say is stunting kids growth.

Why is it a bad idea? Show me where young people are dieing and getting grossly sick. People have to go on living. Opt out if you don't want to participate.

CDC reports around 300 deaths in the 15-24 age bracket.
Is that an insignificant number?
None of those individuals are insignificant. However, the number is low enough that those who would like to play should have the opportunity to do so and bear that small risk of infection. In 2017, 2,364 teens (16-19) were killed in automobile accidents. None of those deaths were insignificant either. However, I don’t see decision makers pulling teens off the road any time soon. Teens who wish to drive may drive and bear the risk of injury/death every time they get behind the wheel. Assuming football players are minimizing contact with at-risk individuals (which isn’t likely any higher than non-football players - potentially even lower seeing as they are pretty much required to be on campus with the football team throughout the season) I don’t see why this is any different

None of those individuals are insignificant. However, the number is low enough that those who would like to play should have the opportunity to do so and bear that small risk of infection. In 2017, 2,364 teens (16-19) were killed in automobile accidents. None of those deaths were insignificant either. However, I don’t see decision makers pulling teens off the road any time soon. Teens who wish to drive may drive and bear the risk of injury/death every time they get behind the wheel. Assuming football players are minimizing contact with at-risk individuals (which isn’t likely any higher than non-football players - potentially even lower seeing as they are pretty much required to be on campus with the football team throughout the season) I don’t see why this is any different

It's not any different UNO. The whole belief that we can take away all risk for everyone is just not based in reality. And if you bring up the fact that lockdowns and school closings cause other health issues, rise in teenage suicides and depression, it means you want kids to die.

No kids under 18 have died in Iowa.

In the 18 to 40 year old bucket, a total of 22 persons have died. Of those only 2 did not have a preexisting condition. So in this group 0.0059% fatality rate if no preexisting condition. And if you add in the 20 with conditions, the fatality rate is 0.0647%.

So what is the influenza fatality rate in these same groups?

Why is it a bad idea? Show me where young people are dieing and getting grossly sick. People have to go on living. Opt out if you don't want to participate.

The B1G opted out, so why are we getting pointless threads ad nauseum on the topic when nothing has changed?

No kids under 18 have died in Iowa.

In the 18 to 40 year old bucket, a total of 22 persons have died. Of those only 2 did not have a preexisting condition. So in this group 0.0059% fatality rate if no preexisting condition. And if you add in the 20 with conditions, the fatality rate is 0.0647%.

So what is the influenza fatality rate in these same groups?

I’m sure that stat includes the people that the 18-40 year old bucket spread the virus to, right?

Why do you care now and not when the same number die from flu in any given year?
Or any other cause of death - suicide, abuse, hunger, drugs, alcohol, car wrecks, from the isolation of this virus and how much damage is being done physically, emotionally, and socioeconomically?

They don’t want to discuss these ongoing issues because it doesn’t fit their narrative or agenda. If you don’t want to go to school or be in public, stay home walled up in your basement until the curve is flattened, two more weeks, now until there is a vaccine.

If you want to go to school and play sports, then do it. If you want to go to work, then do it. This one size fits all model is an embarrassment with our inability to offer multiple options to people and what they want to do with their lives under this nanny state that is taking over.

What’s next, it’s flu season so we gotta shut everything down?!! Johnny might get the flu and we can’t have that.

I’m sure that stat includes the people that the 18-40 year old bucket spread the virus to, right?

A person quoted the number of deaths in the 18 - 40 year group. I was stating the %s and asking how that compares to the flu. Yes, people spread shit and a lot of people do it knowingly. Americans go to work sick.

Vast majority of deaths are retirement age and above. If scared of it avoid interacting with those younger. I trust you are not out bar hopping on the weekends.

Reactions: onionman1

Good lord. Talk about stupid!

The mental health issue is one that I think needs to be taken more seriously with remote learning and a lockdown. I have kids that have gone to school now going on 3 weeks of in person. My daughter did get sick, with the stomach flu of all things. That happens almost every year to my kids. They were a mask and love it. They do not bitch or complain about wearing it either. Neither do the HS kids. You want to know why? because they want to be around people. If the kids can do this and not have problems, why is it so hard for adults?

Suicide numbers are not available right now, Those numbers we will learn about in the next few years for 2020. I do know that as social media and the internet have become the new normal, more suicide deaths have occurred.

Per the CDC, 477 people younger than 18 died from influenza in the 2018-2019 flu season. Not a single business or school closed (other than for a week in rare cases). No major sporting events canceled. No flights . . Etc.

But you need to take into account that remote learning, lockdowns, quarantines, no large group gathers have played a part in that data.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
The cancelling of BIG football is the single most idiotic thing I've ever seen in my life.

It's purely a political move and anyone who thinks it is doing a lick of good in regards to protecting lives from COVID is just plain stupid. Add in the unprincipled and deceitful manner in which the Big Ten has gone about the entire situation - in time, I believe this will be remembered as one of the most shameful things we've ever seen in sports.

Why Warren is has not been fired yet is beyond me.

A person quoted the number of deaths in the 18 - 40 year group. I was stating the %s and asking how that compares to the flu. Yes, people spread shit and a lot of people do it knowingly. Americans go to work sick.

Vast majority of deaths are retirement age and above. If scared of it avoid interacting with those younger. I trust you are not out bar hopping on the weekends.

So I assume you'd be cool with letting schools determine if learning should be online, instead of a governor. There are a lot of older teachers who are scared of it and would like to avoid interacting with younger people, but they can't because their governor is telling them they have to be on-site. You should drop KR a line and tell her she's wrong.

The cancelling of BIG football is the single most idiotic thing I've ever seen in my life.

It's purely a political move and anyone who thinks it is doing a lick of good in regards to protecting lives from COVID is just plain stupid. Add in the unprincipled and deceitful manner in which the Big Ten has gone about the entire situation - in time, I believe this will be remembered as one of the most shameful things we've ever seen in sports.

Warren has not been fired because he is doing the job that his bosses, The B1G Presidents and Commissioners, want him to do. Those folks are doing the bidding of their local Governors through the Board of Regents. This is 100% political, primarily because Gretchen Whitmer is jockeying for a cabinet post.

The guy got outsmarted and out worked by Bob Bowlsby.
Let that sink in.

But you need to take into account that remote learning, lockdowns, quarantines, no large group gathers have played a part in that data.

Can you quantify what the death numbers would have been in that age cohort if school had continued? Young, healthy people are not dying from this thing in substantial numbers.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced they should be playing. The key elements for me:

Are they at greater risk of contracting covid if they play? I don't think so.
Are they at greater risk of having issues if they do get it if they play? I don't think so.
Are they a greater risl to spread it? Maybe, slightly, during games, but I think the increased testing more than offsets this.

If they're going to workout, practice, attend FB meetings etc. anyway, they're still exposed to all those other players on the team anyway. Plus, with football,they'll be less likely to be out exposed to the general student population, which is much higher risk than playing and practicing with people who are being tested daily.

At this point, I just don't see that not playing is accomplishing anything. Would there be games postponed and/or cancelled? Probably. But that's sill better than not playing at all IMO.

It's not about dying, you idiots, it's about contracting long-term health problems with such things as the heart and lungs. Experts know there are long-term impacts, but because this is a new virus that is FAR more dangerous than the flu, even they can't say for sure what people's health will be like five, ten, or twenty years down the road. Thus, people with common sense don't want football players, or anyone else, to get COVID-19 and find out.

But all you brave fans guzzling beer on your couches don't mind a bit what might happen to these kids someday.
Well, you're just like your cult leader--you bravely tell everyone else what to do while you are perfectly safe.

BTW: 61 of 67 college conferences are NOT playing football this fall. That's over 90 percent. The Big Ten is only one of those 61. The Pac 12 is another. So is the MAC.

Only six stupid conferences are playing and putting young people's lives in danger by doing so. Not because they might die, but because they might suffer significant long-term health issues.

It's not about dying, you idiots, it's about contracting long-term health problems with such things as the heart and lungs. Experts know there are long-term impacts, but because this is a new virus that is FAR more dangerous than the flu, even they can't say for sure what people's health will be like five, ten, or twenty years down the road. Thus, people with common sense don't want football players, or anyone else, to get COVID-19 and find out.

But all you brave fans guzzling beer on your couches don't mind a bit what might happen to these kids someday.
Well, you're just like your cult leader--you bravely tell everyone else what to do while you are perfectly safe.

BTW: 61 of 67 college conferences are NOT playing football this fall. That's over 90 percent. The Big Ten is only one of those 61. The Pac 12 is another. So is the MAC.

Only six stupid conferences are playing and putting young people's lives in danger by doing so. Not because they might die, but because they might suffer significant long-term health issues.
I see you’ve run and hid from the PSU dr who was clueless and should lose his job.

Theyre around students on campus, they all see their parents (students and athletes), those parents see their family/friends

looking at this by saying ‘they’re young, they won’t die’ is a simplistic view on this and one that will guaranty this doesn’t end until a mythical vaccine can be tested and rolled out to the entire country. We still have plenty of sports to watch that can better isolate their athletes

Theyre around students on campus, they all see their parents (students and athletes), those parents see their family/friends

looking at this by saying ‘they’re young, they won’t die’ is a simplistic view on this and one that will guaranty this doesn’t end until a mythical vaccine can be tested and rolled out to the entire country. We still have plenty of sports to watch that can better isolate their athletes
Like theNFL?

I’m not sure who you are referring to when you say “idiots”. I suspect you mean anyone that doesn’t agree with you. It seems like you actually agree with many posters on this thread. You claim that there may be some very serious complications from covid and that we should really do all we can to prevent these athletes from getting it. Well then you must agree that we should proceed with the season as soon as possible because any sane person knows they are less likely to contract it while following the protocols put forth by the big 10 and their respective university.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Like theNFL?

I have no idea what the NFL is doing but it seems to be working. The NHL and NBA has it figured out from the start, MLB got it straightened out, and soccer got it figured out in a highly fractured environment. the B12 is cancelling games the first week, the SEC has a new school pop up every week with high positive numbers, and the ACC isn’t far behind. It’s not going to work on a college campus, the coaches can’t stop these guys from doing stupid thing even when there’s no pandemic.

I have no idea what the NFL is doing but it seems to be working. The NHL and NBA has it figured out from the start, MLB got it straightened out, and soccer got it figured out in a highly fractured environment. the B12 is cancelling games the first week, the SEC has a new school pop up every week with high positive numbers, and the ACC isn’t far behind. It’s not going to work on a college campus, the coaches can’t stop these guys from doing stupid thing even when there’s no pandemic.
In about 8 weeks we’ll figure out a positive test can take a different path of safety.

ADVERTISEMENT