ADVERTISEMENT

B10 > SEC in sports; B10 > Ivy League in research

May 17, 2021
it’s all important that the Big Ten remain the preeminent academic and sports conference in the country, and if this happens, and it seems like it will, the big 10 is an entire level above the SEC, or two levels above if you consider the academics and research powerhouse is in the conference. You literally have in the Big Ten conference plus UCLA and USC more collective research power than even the Ivy League.

Really incredible if you consider all of the implications here. I do wish that they could add Washington and Berkeley, but they probably want to remain in the Pac 10 and dominate that now minor conference.

it’s all important that the Big Ten remain the preeminent academic and sports conference in the country, and if this happens, and it seems like it will, the big 10 is an entire level above the SEC, or two levels above if you consider the academics and research powerhouse is in the conference. You literally have in the Big Ten conference plus UCLA and USC more collective research power than even the Ivy League.

Really incredible if you consider all of the implications here. I do wish that they could add Washington and Berkeley, but they probably want to remain in the Pac 10 and dominate that now minor conference.
Big 10 is not the pre-eminent sports conference in the nation. I love my Big 10, but it's just not. Only OSU has won a national title in the playoff era. Only MSU and Michigan have made the playoffs beside OSU. BIg 10 hasn't won a national title in men's basketball since MSU in 2000. That is a long time. Plenty of Final 4 appearances in that time, but no titles. And in many of the non-revenue sports, Big 10 gets blown away by SEC and Pac-12. Wrestling is an outlier, but pretty much no one cares about wrestling nationally.

Agree on the academics side. Not even close, Big 10 and a combined Big 10-Pac 12 dwarfs the SEC and ACC. And even on the athletics side, I would argue that only the SEC is above the Big 10 right now. And it's close. And there is much wider chasm between the Big 10 and the rest of the leagues and the Big 10 and the SEC.

How DARE you USE the word ACADEMICS when talking about “THE sec” (sorry f0$u).

Big 10 is not the pre-eminent sports conference in the nation. I love my Big 10, but it's just not. Only OSU has won a national title in the playoff era. Only MSU and Michigan have made the playoffs beside OSU. BIg 10 hasn't won a national title in men's basketball since MSU in 2000. That is a long time. Plenty of Final 4 appearances in that time, but no titles. And in many of the non-revenue sports, Big 10 gets blown away by SEC and Pac-12. Wrestling is an outlier, but pretty much no one cares about wrestling nationally.

Agree on the academics side. Not even close, Big 10 and a combined Big 10-Pac 12 dwarfs the SEC and ACC. And even on the athletics side, I would argue that only the SEC is above the Big 10 right now. And it's close. And there is much wider chasm between the Big 10 and the rest of the leagues and the Big 10 and the SEC.
I am both looking at the past and looking at the future. The number of national championships that USC and UCLA have had in fb and bb and other sports, and are sure to contend for in the future, really do make the new Big Ten the preeminent athletic conference in the country.

and in this new environment that is very much money driven, it is a certainty that the new Big Ten will have far and away the most television and advertising and NIL revenue potential than any other conference in the country. And that obviously drives talent into the conference, and drives exposure for athletes and programs and universities themselves, as well as championships.

I had to look this up, but UCLA has more national championships in mbb Then any other team, twice as many a 2nd place Duke.

11 total.

surprisingly Two schools in the Ivy League have a combined 55 national championships in football. Princeton and Yale.

But USC has as many national championships has Ohio State, at 17, and one more than Michigan.

With the new big 10 super conference, no conference in the country will have more national championships combined in football than the big 10.

I had to look this up, but UCLA has more national championships in mbb Then any other team, twice as many a 2nd place Duke.

11 total.

surprisingly Two schools in the Ivy League have a combined 55 national championships in football. Princeton and Yale.

But USC has as many national championships has Ohio State, at 17, and one more than Michigan.

With the new big 10 super conference, no conference in the country will have more national championships combined in football than the big 10.

This Iowa fan is now flexing about all of John Wooden's natties lmao

This Iowa fan is now flexing about all of John Wooden's natties lmao
Really it's about tradition, fan bases, prestige, and in this case, REVENUE.

Each B10 school was projected to earn almost $80M in annual revenue from the TV deal, and then USC and UCLA came along. Now the talk is that the amount could push $100M per school, per year.

So absolutely, I'm stoked about USC and UCLA's tradition of excellence in sports and academics, their centrality in the media market (two of the three top film schools and tv/media programs in the country), and that absolutely raises the prestige as well as the revenue of Iowa and the rest of the conference.

As a convenient comparison, ISU's recent total budget for its athletic program for 2021 was almost $100M, and Iowa stands to get close to $100M only from its TV deal (basically football and basketball).

Iowa's revenues will obviously be tens of millions more including ticket sales, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT