ADVERTISEMENT

B10 Today / B10 Camp Visit

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
These guys weren't impressed by the Iowa Offense during their camp visit. They continue to make snide comments about what they expect during the coming season for the Iowa offense. Watching a discussion with Revsine, Perry, and Wanstadt...it wasn't pretty when they talked about their camp visit and evaluation of the talent on the offense. The effusive praise of the Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, and Minnesota camp visits is getting old. Three of those team haven't beaten us in over 8 years. How about some respect please.

I think they are underestimating how good this offense could be. We do have a starter at QB who once won 12 games in a row. We have a good nucleus of young players on the OL too...and all have natural size. Experience...not so much. Does anyone remember how much Wirfs improved from year 1 to year 2? I do. He was a freaking wrecking machine. I fully expect Colby and Richmond to make similar gains with the experience they now have. If Plumb is solid, i know...still to be seen...that's a pretty solid core to build upon. Jones is a four star athletic freak...all positive...and Dunker...Elsbury...and Stephens are all big dudes...and athletic. They are also competing against a front seven in practice...where you could argue...they may not see a better group all year. That's positive too.

I think the running game is going to show up. That bodes well for all the play action stuff we run. Our personnel groups could get really interesting. Three TEs, four TEs? If Ragaini is still hurt...I would love to see them put Patterson in the slot to get another playmaker on the field...similar to the way Hayden Fry used Ronnie Harmon when he came to Iowa. He was a receiver. If he has good hands...find a way to get these guys on the field.

When Iowa can run the ball...our passing game is much, much tougher to defend. I like our chances on surprising to the upside and shutting these B10 commentators down.

When Iowa can run the ball...our passing game is much, much tougher to defend. I like our chances on surprising to the upside and shutting these B10 commentators down.
As always, OL is the key to our offensive success ...more so than any of our competitors.

By all accounts the OL is gelling nicely and significant improvement is happening ...optimism allowed. 😎

These guys weren't impressed by the Iowa Offense during their camp visit. They continue to make snide comments about what they expect during the coming season for the Iowa offense. Watching a discussion with Revsine, Perry, and Wanstadt...it wasn't pretty when they talked about their camp visit and evaluation of the talent on the offense. The effusive praise of the Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, and Minnesota camp visits is getting old. Three of those team haven't beaten us in over 8 years. How about some respect please.

I think they are underestimating how good this offense could be. We do have a starter at QB who once won 12 games in a row. We have a good nucleus of young players on the OL too...and all have natural size. Experience...not so much. Does anyone remember how much Wirfs improved from year 1 to year 2? I do. He was a freaking wrecking machine. I fully expect Colby and Richmond to make similar gains with the experience they now have. If Plumb is solid, i know...still to be seen...that's a pretty solid core to build upon. Jones is a four star athletic freak...all positive...and Dunker...Elsbury...and Stephens are all big dudes...and athletic. They are also competing against a front seven in practice...where you could argue...they may not see a better group all year. That's positive too.

I think the running game is going to show up. That bodes well for all the play action stuff we run. Our personnel groups could get really interesting. Three TEs, four TEs? If Ragaini is still hurt...I would love to see them put Patterson in the slot to get another playmaker on the field...similar to the way Hayden Fry used Ronnie Harmon when he came to Iowa. He was a receiver. If he has good hands...find a way to get these guys on the field.

Well they definitely treated the Iowa O as a punchline that an elite defense was going to have to carry. With that said, their analysis wasn't terribly unfair given last year's results and what they apparently saw in practice the day they were in town. It also wasn't that far off from what most reasonable posters are suggesting in this forum. The defense is elite. Talent and depth are everywhere although there are a couple of holes to fill at safety and cash from last year. On the O everyone is hoping for improvement in the oline that leads to a more effective running game. The passing game is a huge question mark given the history of our QB and, with the exception of Ragaini, a young and uproven WR group with very limited depth.

Last edited:

On the day they visited the only scholarship wide receivers that were full go in practice were Arland Bruce and true freshman Jacob Bostick and Petras threw a pick six, so it's not hard to see how they'd walk away thinking the passing game is still a work in progress.

Last we heard a week ago was Ragaini will miss the first 2-3 games.

On the day they visited the only scholarship wide receivers that were full go in practice were Arland Bruce and true freshman Jacob Bostick and Petras threw a pick six, so it's not hard to see how they'd walk away thinking the passing game is still a work in progress.

Yeah...I get it...but it's not like we are throwing a bunch of walk-ons into the mix on the OL. Outside of Plumb and DeJong...most of these guys are high 3-star or 4-star recruits. It's also common knowledge that Iowa has shown prowess in developing offensive linemen. I think they took the surface speculation and keep throwing it out there like it's fact. The droning of the same message shows a lack interest in looking deeper at what's going on.

They are fawning all over Purdue & Minnesota, which Minny baffles me...I get that they have the offensive coordinator back that coached Morgan to a career year...but it wasn't just Morgan that was good on offense that year...they had two or three skill guys playing in the league right now. Morgan has definitely regressed in my opinion and they lost some very good players on the OL too.

I guess it's every year...they have their darlings..last year was Nebraska...or maybe the last two years it was Nebraska. That didn't work out so well for them now did it.

This is what I’m counting on based on the reports on the o line. Dunker and Jones in particular sound like they are maulers. I’m confident also on what I’ve read about 4 backs as well. They appear to be deepest on offense where it matters for this offense, oline and RB.

All that said, SP has to be much improved and make the makeables at a higher clip.

I really hope we roll with Padilla this year.

I also hope (even though it won’t happen) that Ferentz isn’t afraid to pull Petras mid-game & not let him lose a winnable game for us before he decides to bench him.

All wishful thinking, I know.

I just want to see the kid that has never lost a game for us play this season.

We definitely win that Nebber game last year if Padilla plays the 2nd half. Petras didn’t really do anything for us to win.

Padilla probably would’ve beaten Kentucky as well.

Yeah...I get it...but it's not like we are throwing a bunch of walk-ons into the mix on the OL. Outside of Plumb and DeJong...most of these guys are high 3-star or 4-star recruits. It's also common knowledge that Iowa has shown prowess in developing offensive linemen. I think they took the surface speculation and keep throwing it out there like it's fact. The droning of the same message shows a lack interest in looking deeper at what's going on.

They are fawning all over Purdue & Minnesota, which Minny baffles me...I get that they have the offensive coordinator back that coached Morgan to a career year...but it wasn't just Morgan that was good on offense that year...they had two or three skill guys playing in the league right now. Morgan has definitely regressed in my opinion and they lost some very good players on the OL too.

I guess it's every year...they have their darlings..last year was Nebraska...or maybe the last two years it was Nebraska. That didn't work out so well for them now did it.

Developing is the key word. Not a single O lineman has demonstrated a consistent high level of play. Richman and Colby had good moments last year and at least as many cringe-worthy moments. Plumb and DeJong were much worse. Jones hasn't taken a snap at center in a game. We all have high hopes but hope is all we have. An unproven line, a QB that can't move, and a depleted WR corps=low expectations on offense. Why would any analyst give this offense any praise? It speaks volumes that a team with this defense and punter isn't ranked in the Top 25.

Reactions: mikesright

Going against one of the best defenses in the country every day in practice cannot hurt.

I really hope we roll with Padilla this year.

I also hope (even though it won’t happen) that Ferentz isn’t afraid to pull Petras mid-game & not let him lose a winnable game for us before he decides to bench him.

All wishful thinking, I know.

I just want to see the kid that has never lost a game for us play this season.

We definitely win that Nebber game last year if Padilla plays the 2nd half. Petras didn’t really do anything for us to win.

Padilla probably would’ve beaten Kentucky as well.
I’m afraid, what I was afraid of is going to happen.

Ferentz is going to blow a game or two with Petras before taking him out.

He’ll wait until we’re officially eliminated from the West before he’s forced to switch Qb’s by the fanbase/boosters.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT