ADVERTISEMENT

B12 - little, indebted, and parasitic on current students

BYU is certainly in trouble if they are seeking donations from their fans to fund their athletics. I know how much my wife (no pic) spends on clothes and other stupid crap now multiply that by two and three wives and their fans won't have much disposable income.
Ride those outdated stereotypes as much as you can. The number of Mormons who currently practice polygamy is small. More importantly, those aren't the people likely to be donating to BYU athletics.

Ride those outdated stereotypes as much as you can. The number of Mormons who currently practice polygamy is small. More importantly, those aren't the people likely to be donating to BYU athletics.
Even calling them Mormons is outdated. There are still some very bizarre beliefs in the LDS church though.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Even calling them Mormons is outdated. There are still some very bizarre beliefs in the LDS church though.
True, but religions have no corner on bizarre beliefs today. I just don't like seeing any person or group attacked with broad stereotypes, especially when they're doing others no harm.

Everything related to ISU excepted... of course. ;)

As for being “agenda driven,” the UCF article you cite as being a “scandal” at UCF does not come close to supporting your claim. The only UCF student cited in that article was supportive of the practice and believes that it is good for UCF as a whole.
Gee, 1 student.

I'm a UNI grad, I can confidently tell you at least 75% of those students have no clue they pay athletics fees. The ones that do either hate it or justify it for the lousy free tickets.

UCF offers the same. Free tickets. 12,000 students can fit in the stadium, 60,000+ students get tickets. Please don't try to explain how that's ethical. Students wait super long at UCF football games, many can't even get in. It's shady. It's why the NCAA clearly ignores revenue generated by student fees. By the way, UNI counts the student attendance as full for every game because of this. Another shady element.

Then consider that UCF and Cinci, as whole institutions, have been running budget deficits. You can't just move money around to pretend a problem doesn't exist. Money is money.

If more and more students find out about this or it becomes more common, expect lots and lots of backlash.

Almost every DI, DII, and DIII has these fees.

it’s magnified when the fees are to create obvious luxuries.

most schools the fees are needed for athletics to even exist.

We know and have discussed at length how Pollard ran up big debts and was a social media troll all these years. (Borrowed $60M for $80M in stadium upgrades, compared to only $30M Iowa borrowed for almost $165M in facility upgrades, and Iowa is in the top five in the B10 for revenues, and 14th in the nation, as per the WSJ).

That flimflam only lasts so long. Sooner or later, reality hits hard, and it did nine days ago when the hype met the Hawkeyes, and a huge national audience saw Iowa State for what they were, aspirational flashes in the pan.

Time to look at the schools joining the B12. It's so much worse than I knew. I thought the debate was over, but the issue is deeper than I thought because these programs are funding up to half of their athletic budgets from mandatory student fees. That practice must stop.

Current students shouldn't be forced to pay (or take out loans to pay) for the scholarships of athletes in unsustainable programs like UCF, Cinci, Houston, BYU, and worse, for six figure salaries of AD administrators and seven figure salaries for coaches. It’s a major scandal that it happens at all.

Cincinnati
will come crashing down too once they lose their coach and once they will be forced to cut budgets to repay their over $300,000,000 in athletic department debt. But this is now known on these boards, though probably not on Cyclone Fanatic. Soon the national media will begin to dig a bit and see beneath the hype and into the dollars and sense reality, and I meant that literally. The honest AD's like Goff at Kansas do see reality: this new b12 is a "poor" conference with zero chance of living large off of the big budget schools who have left, or living on borrowed time and $60M in debt (ISU), or $300M in debt (cinci).

According to articles published in the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, current UC students are subsidizing the athletic department over $4,000 per year. While athletic department spending was increased over the last 13 years, needed facility upgrades for academic buildings was slashed, funding on instruction was cut by almost 7%, and spending on research was cut by 26%, while athletic department spending went through the roof. Kinda puts into perspective the price students are being made to pay for their current ranking in FB, and the cost in unbearable debt for all future faculty, students, staff, and families. UC is a time bomb of debt waiting to implode.

UCF

UCF's "growth" has come at the expense of tuition and fees. Athletic departments that live parasitically off of current students, as well as run up debts, which is what small D-1 schools do, and which UCF does, are not sustainable. UCF charges almost $200 in fees for full-time students - $15 per credit hour - in MANDATORY fees to students who are already swimming in student loans anyway. It's a scandal on campus, and this is what Pollard and Clone fanatics tell us is a "big" program that can bring "big" growth in the future, when they've done it by feeding vampirically off of current students and their futures by running up their debts? UCF ran up a $12M deficit last year, 40% of their annual budget, and had to borrow $4M in emergency loans from its UCF foundation to cover expenses. a program which only generates $29M annually, much of which is from mandatory student fees. Almost THIRTEEN MILLION DOLLARS from UCF's "athletic department revenues" are generated from mandatory student fees charged to the 65,000 students. That's almost half their budget. Pathetic and vampiric.

Houston
is the same. Here is an article from before Covid - which made things MUCH worse for them - that describes how UH has fed off of existing students to support their AD budget, forcing students to pay mandatory fees on top of tuition, room and board. Despicable.

"As of 2017, Houston had over $117,000,000 in debt for its athletic department"

"UH relies on student fees to support its athletic department, and as of 2017, received $25.7 million in student fees for its budget"

(By the way, Iowa charges students zero dollars in student fees for the athletics department because Iowa's revenues are more than enough to cover nationally-ranked programs like Women's Basketball, Wrestling, Field Hockey (ranked #1), Rowing (consistently top 20), and a football program that's doing pretty well right now.

The new B12 is not just little, it's parasitic on current students, and it's built on debt.

BYU is its own animal, a small program in the middle of nowhere that doesn't fit with any conference. BYU charges radically different fees for Mormon students as non-Mormons, who pay twice as much. Imagine the scandal if Notre Dame or Georgetown or Loyola or Boston College or Villanova charged non-Catholics twice as much? Schools like ND, in reality, rely on their huge endowment. ND's endowment is over $12 Billion. ND meets "100% of demonstrated student need" and is provided regardless of religion, race, gender, or identity. Seems like BYU actively discriminates. Ridiculous. I had no idea. Plus BYU ran up over $20M in debt last year and was seeking donations, but there is no information about whether they are even close to being in the black. Maybe they hope joining a "poor" conference like the new B12 will help?

So let's do some math on a few relevant schools

DEBT
ISU - $60M
UC - $300M
BYU - $20M
Houston - $120M
UCF - $12M

Over half a billion in debt just from these schools, most of which are feeding off of current students to keep the lights on and pay interest on their ballooning debt.

And we are supposed to be impressed?
First, you're trying too hard. Second, your outrage--ok, your dismay-- is misdirected.

Much of these fees, tuition increases, etc., are commensurate with the increases in federal funding, be it loans, grants, scholarships, whatever. If the dollars keep flowing, the costs will keep ramping up.

That, plus, who cares about the Big XII, now? Our game against ISU has passed, but even with the upcoming "alliance", rest assured that the game against ISU will be "protected".

And the only reason Iowa was in this position is because the Big Ten conference took an admirably cautious stance on Covid because too many students we’re unvaccinated etc., and ended all sports for most of a year, from big regenue sports like BB to wrestling to football.
B1G took their COVID stance before there was even a vaccine. And Kevin Warren figured other conferences would follow his lead.

B1G caved and ended up looking silly. Nothing "admirably cautious" about it.

Gee, 1 student.

I'm a UNI grad, I can confidently tell you at least 75% of those students have no clue they pay athletics fees. The ones that do either hate it or justify it for the lousy free tickets.

UCF offers the same. Free tickets. 12,000 students can fit in the stadium, 60,000+ students get tickets. Please don't try to explain how that's ethical. Students wait super long at UCF football games, many can't even get in. It's shady. It's why the NCAA clearly ignores revenue generated by student fees. By the way, UNI counts the student attendance as full for every game because of this. Another shady element.

Then consider that UCF and Cinci, as whole institutions, have been running budget deficits. You can't just move money around to pretend a problem doesn't exist. Money is money.

If more and more students find out about this or it becomes more common, expect lots and lots of backlash.

If you look upwards, you'll see the point flying over your head.

I didn't argue that the student fee was fair. I didn't argue that the student fee was reasonable. The OP referred to it as a "scandal" and cited the article as proof. Yet, the article's author interviewed one student who had no problem with the arrangement. Thus, referring to that article as proof of some sort of "scandal" is garbage. And if the author of the article wanted to write a story about some sort of "scandal," that person couldn't find a single UCF student/alum who would go on record stating he/she didn't like the arrangement?

If the OP wants to cite the article and claim that $172/semester per student to support athletics programs at UCF is unfair, "parasitic," "vampiric" or some other loaded adjective, he could have done so. He went beyond that level of argument and claimed that the article was proof of some sort of "scandal." The article doesn't support that conclusion. Not even close. Jerry Sandusky molesting athletes in the PSU showers and a potential cover-up is a legitimate "scandal." Larry Nassar's sexual abuse of female athletes at MSU is a scandal. OSU's athletic trainer fondling wrestlers and Jim Jordan's potential knowledge and cover-up is a legitimate "scandal." Student fees going to supporting athletics a "scandal?" C'mon. I'll take overstatements for $500, Alex.

Nearly every university in the state of Florida charges some level of student fees to support athletics, including Florida State. Wake me up when that backlash starts. (FWIW, OP's article was dated in 2017; in those 4 years has there been the predicted "backlash" at UCF?)

Not true. Not the big revenue generators and big brands. Not Iowa.

only the smaller less sustainable programs do that.

I distinctly remember those ESPN commercials where they showed individuals talking out of their "ass."

Are the University of Georgia, University of Florida, Florida State University and Auburn "smaller less sustainable program?" Or, do all of these universities report greater athletic department revenues than the University of Iowa?

Uh, yes it did. It provided a bar graph of all the debt held as of 2017 by each school in the B12 conference. It was the only such conference profiled as a whole.

1. The Bloomberg article cited the debt levels for 8 of the 10 Big 12 institutions. It did not provide debt levels for TCU and Baylor since they are private schools.
2. Nothing in that article suggested that Texas' "debt" placed it in "trouble."
3. Nothing in that article suggested that any Big 12 institution was in "trouble."
4. The article quotes the AD at KSU who affirmed that they don't take on debt for any athletic program other than football and basketball. It was insinuated that such an approach was prudent and reasonable. It did not suggest that KSU's debt level placed it in "trouble."
5. The article focused on UC-Berkeley. Notably, all of the current Big 12 public institutions generate higher revenues for their ADs than UC-Berkeley and 7 of the 8 have debt levels at or lower than 25% of UC-Berkeley's situation. Texas is about 50% of UC-Berkeley's debt level and Texas is a cash cow.

Suggesting that the Bloomberg article can be somehow construed as a "profile" of the Big 12, let alone concluding that Big 12 institutions are in "debt level" trouble is a blatant misrepresentation.

I didn't argue that the student fee was fair. I didn't argue that the student fee was reasonable. The OP referred to it as a "scandal" and cited the article as proof. Yet, the article's author interviewed one student who had no problem with the arrangement. Thus, referring to that article as proof of some sort of "scandal" is garbage. And if the author of the article wanted to write a story about some sort of "scandal," that person couldn't find a single UCF student/alum who would go on record stating he/she didn't like the arrangement?

If the OP wants to cite the article and claim that $172/semester per student to support athletics programs at UCF is unfair, "parasitic," "vampiric" or some other loaded adjective, he could have done so. He went beyond that level of argument and claimed that the article was proof of some sort of "scandal." The article doesn't support that conclusion. Not even close. Jerry Sandusky molesting athletes in the PSU showers and a potential cover-up is a legitimate "scandal." Larry Nassar's sexual abuse of female athletes at MSU is a scandal. OSU's athletic trainer fondling wrestlers and Jim Jordan's potential knowledge and cover-up is a legitimate "scandal." Student fees going to supporting athletics a "scandal?" C'mon. I'll take overstatements for $500, Alex.

Nearly every university in the state of Florida charges some level of student fees to support athletics, including Florida State. Wake me up when that backlash starts. (FWIW, OP's article was dated in 2017; in those 4 years has there been the predicted "backlash" at UCF?)

I'm not gonna argue that its definitely not a scandal, agreed on all counts there. Where we seem to disagree is whether or not its harmless. 1 student doesn't speak for a population, my own experience at a similarly set up college was a decent amount of resentment of the policy, and very, very little support. A necessary evil of sorts.

OP might need a lesson in exaggeration, but at the end of the day he's just stating an opinion that it is very wrong in his eyes (and mine) to saddle students with the burden of financing their athletic programs. Those are funds that could be used to support those students, instead being allocated to something that benefits a student very little. Especially when it doesn't even come close to guaranteeing you a spot at a football game.

I stand by the fact that it is a scummy practice and most likely unsustainable. The national student debt conversation is not going away any time soon. It's barely getting started. Objective people will begin to notice the millions and millions of dollars of student debt siphoned into college athletics. Is it a scandal, no. Will the political pressure someday bring it to a merciful end? I hope so.

True, but religions have no corner on bizarre beliefs today. I just don't like seeing any person or group attacked with broad stereotypes, especially when they're doing others no harm.

Everything related to ISU excepted... of course. ;)
100% in line with you, Drummer.

Omg. The scandal is that instruction and research budgets have been slashed while athletics has been spending like crazy and running up deficits and debts. And anytime an AD claims to have earned $8M in revenue when in reality they lost something like $30M, it is most definitely yet another SCANDAL.

and it is vampiric to charge students mandatory fees for athletics. Just like it is vampiric not to allow NCAA athletes to use their NIL to help fund their education, whether or not they’re on scholarship.

1. The Bloomberg article cited the debt levels for 8 of the 10 Big 12 institutions. It did not provide debt levels for TCU and Baylor since they are private schools.
2. Nothing in that article suggested that Texas' "debt" placed it in "trouble."
3. Nothing in that article suggested that any Big 12 institution was in "trouble."
4. The article quotes the AD at KSU who affirmed that they don't take on debt for any athletic program other than football and basketball. It was insinuated that such an approach was prudent and reasonable. It did not suggest that KSU's debt level placed it in "trouble."
5. The article focused on UC-Berkeley. Notably, all of the current Big 12 public institutions generate higher revenues for their ADs than UC-Berkeley and 7 of the 8 have debt levels at or lower than 25% of UC-Berkeley's situation. Texas is about 50% of UC-Berkeley's debt level and Texas is a cash cow.

Suggesting that the Bloomberg article can be somehow construed as a "profile" of the Big 12, let alone concluding that Big 12 institutions are in "debt level" trouble is a blatant misrepresentation.
The b12 was the only conference profiled as a conference in that entire article. Where did I ever say it was the only thing profiled? In fact i said it gave a “national perspective” on debt.

numbers are numbers. Dollars are dollars. Look at the friggin bar graph, mr pollard apologist and clone clone. That bar graph of all the debt held by b12 members is surprising. The b12 was already shaky then, and is much much worse now.

only the B10 and SEC have the tv revenue to warrant debt-financed major upgrades. Everyone else is either running on fumes or straight up gambling, or both.

You want to see a gross representation, if not outright lie?

Go to the usatoday list of revenues. Click on Cincinnati. There is a column for student fees, which is nothing but zeros. The "school funds" column is most recently at $29M, and it is primarily student fees.

****ing lies.

Omg. The scandal is that instruction and research budgets have been slashed while athletics has been spending like crazy and running up deficits and debts. And anytime an AD claims to have earned $8M in revenue when in reality they lost something like $30M, it is most definitely yet another SCANDAL.

and it is vampiric to charge students mandatory fees for athletics. Just like it is vampiric not to allow NCAA athletes to use their NIL to help fund their education, whether or not they’re on scholarship.

I'll borrow one of your favorite lines - "provide a link."

You were the one who claimed that there is a scandal at UCF because of the student fees. Please show me a single "instruction" and/or "research" budget item that has been "slashed" because of athletics spending at that university.

Harp on Cincinnati's financial situation all you want. Call it a "scandal" if you want. I don't give a rat's ass. There's certainly "smoke" there.

But, I'll point out BS when I read BS. You've conflated what is happening at Cincinnati with what might/might not be going on at UCF. It is eminently clear that it is agenda-driven argument and your repeated exaggerative and misleading claims are designed to promote that particular agenda.

As for your claim that I am a Pollard apologist, thank you for the belly laugh. My posts on this site have repeatedly characterized him as a carnival barker who is fixated on the so-called TOE. There's very little that I could say positive about the guy. His personality traits are traits that I find incredibly distasteful. I can't be certain as to whether Pollard's "we are now the bear" comment or Moos' "we had to assess where Iowa was as a program" comment wins the "I'm The Biggest AD D----Bag" Award. I can't stand the guy.

But, I'm also not going to criticize someone simply for the sake of criticism. OU and UT dealt the Irate8 a shit sandwich. Adding the 4 schools is the best thing that the Big 12 could have done under the circumstances. And, to be frank, concluding that the Big 12 will be "more competitive" than ever is, IMO, accurate. It doesn't tell the whole picture but it is likely accurate. And, be objective, his job as AD is to promote the university and its current situation. His job isn't to get in front of a podium and act like Bill Paxton in Aliens and proclaim "Game over man. Game over. We're screwed."

In the last 19 years, the Big 12 has had the following championship teams in football: Oklahoma (13 with one shared championship), Texas (2), Kansas State (2, with one shared championship), Baylor (2, with one shared), Oklahoma State (1) and TCU (1 shared). Thus, I fully anticipate that the Big 12 will not be so dominated by one school and, as a result, will be more competitive. As for men's basketball, it will be a very competitive and solid conference.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

Go to the usatoday list of revenues. Click on Cincinnati. There is a column for student fees, which is nothing but zeros. The "school funds" column is most recently at $29M, and it is primarily student fees.

****ing lies.

With the caveat that UC may be trying to "hide" the amount that students pay towards athletics, here is what I found on its website regarding the fees that are charged to the students as would be itemized on a university billing statement: https://www.uc.edu/bursar/fees/bill_descriptions.html

Of the items listed, it would appear that the "Campus Life Fee" covers athletics (my best guess). I note that UC represents on its website that the "Campus Life Fee" is voted on and approved by the student body.

I'm thinking that because UC is private, it does not need to report "student fees" in the same way as public institutions and, thus, it is likely bundling support for athletic programs with other campus entertainment activities.

That's my best guess.

FWIW.

****ing lies.

Seat donations must end up in contributions for football

Florida has led the nation in Covid deaths in recent months, per capita and sometimes in actual numbers, even after we’ve had a vaccine widely available for months, one which was not available when the first major outbreak happened in New York City, our most international and densely and highly populated city. Anti Vaxxers are dying. And putting everyone else in danger when anti science politicians force everyone to deal with dangerous anti vaxxers who continue to make Covid the greatest public health disaster in over a century.

This article cites the consensus of climate scientists. Water levels have risen one foot since 1900 and five inches since 1993. See a trend? salt water is corroding porous limestone under buildings. Etc.

and as for climatic and oceanographic data - I’m citing science; which is based on facts, math, physics. You can observe the rate of polar ice cap melt and Greenland ice melt etc and you can do math and calculate how much water is melting and will melt as
and then that water goes where?

Miami will be underwater within decades. It’s now inevitable. Ice melt is baked into the system even if we stop all CO2 emissions today.

have you studied physics or do you just ignore it?

global heating is, tragically, actually happening, no matter what the corporate shills on Fox News tell you.

read the actual science. Not the propaganda.

but back to the point - Florida’s growth is limited and will trend in the opposite direction as people are forced to move due to man made hazards from horrible Covid management to natural disasters exacerbated by anthropogenic climate change.

no emotion here other then a sickening feeling that some people prefer magical thinking over facts, science, epidemiology, physics.

but back to the facts and numbers about UCF, UH, Uc, and BYU….
Lets focus on your Florida diatribe. You clearly lack objectivity.

1. It is one of the most populated states in the USA, so of course it is going to likely have a high absolute number of deaths. Just like California, Texas, NY, etc.
2. Florida has the 2nd highest percentage of seniors in the U.S. (one tenth of a point behind Maine), which creates headwinds other states do not have
3. Florida has THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF VACCINATED SENIORS (65+) in the entire country at 99.9%
4. Lockdowns are not supported by science and have been proven by dozens of studies that show that the negative effect of depression, suicide, alcoholism, lack of cancer screenings, job loss far outweigh any marginal impact on "slowing" the spread
5. Actually, natural immunity (which the Biden administration and the MSM fail to highlight much at all) has proven to be MORE effective than the vaccine.

As for the climate. Yes, it is constantly changing, it always has and always will. Is man having an impact? Yes, but far less than what we are being told. There are too many Propogandist/Journalists, Politicians and Academics who want to keep getting their funding screaming about this catastrophe.

Here is an alternative view of the science. Which is constantly evolvinig. Science is never settled. That is the point of science!!!

Do you know how many times leftists have predicted climate catastophre? Its comical.

Moving to Florida, which leads the country in Covid deaths, where buildings collapse and hurricanes flatten and flood and where thousands of square miles of low lying coastline - including all of metro Miami - will be under the ocean in a few decades?

good luck.
Complete BS

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Lets focus on your Florida diatribe. You clearly lack objectivity.

1. It is one of the most populated states in the USA, so of course it is going to likely have a high absolute number of deaths. Just like California, Texas, NY, etc.
2. Florida has the 2nd highest percentage of seniors in the U.S. (one tenth of a point behind Maine), which creates headwinds other states do not have
3. Florida has THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF VACCINATED SENIORS (65+) in the entire country at 99.9%
4. Lockdowns are not supported by science and have been proven by dozens of studies that show that the negative effect of depression, suicide, alcoholism, lack of cancer screenings, job loss far outweigh any marginal impact on "slowing" the spread
5. Actually, natural immunity (which the Biden administration and the MSM fail to highlight much at all) has proven to be MORE effective than the vaccine.

As for the climate. Yes, it is constantly changing, it always has and always will. Is man having an impact? Yes, but far less than what we are being told. There are too many Propogandist/Journalists, Politicians and Academics who want to keep getting their funding screaming about this catastrophe.

Here is an alternative view of the science. Which is constantly evolvinig. Science is never settled. That is the point of science!!!

Do you know how many times leftists have predicted climate catastophre? Its comical.

What does this have to do with Iowa football? Take this drivel somewhere else.

And the only reason Iowa was in this position is because the Big Ten conference took an admirably cautious stance on Covid because too many students we’re unvaccinated etc., and ended all sports for most of a year, from big regenue sports like BB to wrestling to football.
Clueless

We know and have discussed at length how Pollard ran up big debts and was a social media troll all these years. (Borrowed $60M for $80M in stadium upgrades, compared to only $30M Iowa borrowed for almost $165M in facility upgrades, and Iowa is in the top five in the B10 for revenues, and 14th in the nation, as per the WSJ).

That flimflam only lasts so long. Sooner or later, reality hits hard, and it did nine days ago when the hype met the Hawkeyes, and a huge national audience saw Iowa State for what they were, aspirational flashes in the pan.

Time to look at the schools joining the B12. It's so much worse than I knew. I thought the debate was over, but the issue is deeper than I thought because these programs are funding up to half of their athletic budgets from mandatory student fees. That practice must stop.

Current students shouldn't be forced to pay (or take out loans to pay) for the scholarships of athletes in unsustainable programs like UCF, Cinci, Houston, BYU, and worse, for six figure salaries of AD administrators and seven figure salaries for coaches. It’s a major scandal that it happens at all.

Cincinnati
will come crashing down too once they lose their coach and once they will be forced to cut budgets to repay their over $300,000,000 in athletic department debt. But this is now known on these boards, though probably not on Cyclone Fanatic. Soon the national media will begin to dig a bit and see beneath the hype and into the dollars and sense reality, and I meant that literally. The honest AD's like Goff at Kansas do see reality: this new b12 is a "poor" conference with zero chance of living large off of the big budget schools who have left, or living on borrowed time and $60M in debt (ISU), or $300M in debt (cinci).

According to articles published in the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Cleveland Plain Dealer, current UC students are subsidizing the athletic department over $4,000 per year. While athletic department spending was increased over the last 13 years, needed facility upgrades for academic buildings was slashed, funding on instruction was cut by almost 7%, and spending on research was cut by 26%, while athletic department spending went through the roof. Kinda puts into perspective the price students are being made to pay for their current ranking in FB, and the cost in unbearable debt for all future faculty, students, staff, and families. UC is a time bomb of debt waiting to implode.

UCF

UCF's "growth" has come at the expense of tuition and fees. Athletic departments that live parasitically off of current students, as well as run up debts, which is what small D-1 schools do, and which UCF does, are not sustainable. UCF charges almost $200 in fees for full-time students - $15 per credit hour - in MANDATORY fees to students who are already swimming in student loans anyway. It's a scandal on campus, and this is what Pollard and Clone fanatics tell us is a "big" program that can bring "big" growth in the future, when they've done it by feeding vampirically off of current students and their futures by running up their debts? UCF ran up a $12M deficit last year, 40% of their annual budget, and had to borrow $4M in emergency loans from its UCF foundation to cover expenses. a program which only generates $29M annually, much of which is from mandatory student fees. Almost THIRTEEN MILLION DOLLARS from UCF's "athletic department revenues" are generated from mandatory student fees charged to the 65,000 students. That's almost half their budget. Pathetic and vampiric.

Houston
is the same. Here is an article from before Covid - which made things MUCH worse for them - that describes how UH has fed off of existing students to support their AD budget, forcing students to pay mandatory fees on top of tuition, room and board. Despicable.

"As of 2017, Houston had over $117,000,000 in debt for its athletic department"

"UH relies on student fees to support its athletic department, and as of 2017, received $25.7 million in student fees for its budget"

(By the way, Iowa charges students zero dollars in student fees for the athletics department because Iowa's revenues are more than enough to cover nationally-ranked programs like Women's Basketball, Wrestling, Field Hockey (ranked #1), Rowing (consistently top 20), and a football program that's doing pretty well right now.

The new B12 is not just little, it's parasitic on current students, and it's built on debt.

BYU is its own animal, a small program in the middle of nowhere that doesn't fit with any conference. BYU charges radically different fees for Mormon students as non-Mormons, who pay twice as much. Imagine the scandal if Notre Dame or Georgetown or Loyola or Boston College or Villanova charged non-Catholics twice as much? Schools like ND, in reality, rely on their huge endowment. ND's endowment is over $12 Billion. ND meets "100% of demonstrated student need" and is provided regardless of religion, race, gender, or identity. Seems like BYU actively discriminates. Ridiculous. I had no idea. Plus BYU ran up over $20M in debt last year and was seeking donations, but there is no information about whether they are even close to being in the black. Maybe they hope joining a "poor" conference like the new B12 will help?

So let's do some math on a few relevant schools

DEBT
ISU - $60M
UC - $300M
BYU - $20M
Houston - $120M
UCF - $12M

Over half a billion in debt just from these schools, most of which are feeding off of current students to keep the lights on and pay interest on their ballooning debt.

And we are supposed to be impressed?
All accurate. Follow the money

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT