ADVERTISEMENT

B1G and the Elusive Tournament Title

Bozo2020

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2020
With Michigan being eliminated last night, that leaves Purdue as the only B1G brethren left standing. I have often wondered why the Big Ten can’t seem to crown a national champion in basketball, considering the league is one of the best nationally year in and year out.
I didn’t realize it had been over 20 years since the time a B1G hoisted the trophy, and that to me is unacceptable for as many resources as the league has.
Oddly enough, the league is tied with the ACC for most teams sent to the final four over that time period. See below for total FF appearances (since 2000):

ACC- 16
B1G- 16
B12- 11
SEC- 10
BEast- 12
Pac12- 6
Others- 13

The ACC has the most titles over this same span:

ACC- 8 (7 combined by Duke & NC)
BEast- 6
SEC- 3
B12- 2
B1G- 1
American- 1

What would need to change to make a dent in this list? I’m not sure how “dirty” our most prestigious schools play the recruiting game, and I think it definitely hurts, but we still seem to get teams to the precipice only to stumble at the finish line.

All about the lack of one and done recruits who cluster at KY,Duke,Kansas and UNC.
The BIG has not lured in many since Oden.
Nova has the best coach.
Most of the top talent is from the coasts and sunbelt like in football.
Rust belt not sexy.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Need to be better than UNC and Duke. That starts with recruiting.

Is it that the BIG tries to keep the football mentality with lots of big bulky players? When winning on the biggest stage requires lots of skill talent and speed? Fran's system should help us with that but we don't play enough defense and the speed part is not there.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
ADVERTISEMENT