ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships-Session 2 : PBP Thread

Shhhh...facts don't matter. But hey, let's run Brands out of town and hire David Taylor.

It's funny, when most posters knew since last season that this would be a rebuilding year, we would have a meltdown when IA finishes about where we thought they would. It's like Fran posting the link to the psu dual and then when psu beats us, he has a meltdown about psu being allowed to have athletics.

I will repeat what I said earlier we are the Nebraska Fball of the wrestling world, though I actually think even the diehards are stating to come to the realization that we are not competitive with the top programs. If the HC name was not Brands there is good chance there would be serious discussion about new coach.

Ohio St. 137.5 and PSU 124
Yes, Nolf is hurt and all, but tOSU is wrestling a great tournament. Gotta tip your cap to them. Hated to see them get us at 125 and 157, but I think we turn the tables at Nationals and those wins might help them win Big Tens. Hats off to the wrestling Bucks. They've showed up so far. Even with Bo going down. But he'll likely rack up some points on the back side. They'd really be sitting pretty had Bo not gotten himself stuck.

Yes, Nolf is hurt and all, but tOSU is wrestling a great tournament. Gotta tip your cap to them. Hated to see them get us at 125 and 157, but I think we turn the tables at Nationals and those wins might help them win Big Tens. Hats off to the wrestling Bucks. They've showed up so far. Even with Bo going down. But he'll likely rack up some points on the back side. They'd really be sitting pretty had Bo not gotten himself stuck.
Better now than trying to win 3 in a row against Nato. Lee got to the legs much better this time. Inches from winning it.

Going outside the lines for a bit...
What has happened to Iowa Wrestling is a historical phenomenon.
Take a look at the Egyptian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Macedonian, Roman, etc. civilizations. Each great power came to an end.
Iowa wrestling used to be "the powerhouse" of wrestling. Every kid wanted to go to Iowa and wrestle. Since Gable, many of his "disciples" have learned from the master, and spread their knowledge throughout the wrestling footprint.
Now, with more choices in hand, kids are eager to compete for a program which produces champions. I believe the main part of this, are the coaches, themselves.
Not to bash T&T, but the PR, and simply, listening to them makes them seem like "cave men", or "bullies". In this day and age of anti-bullying, many kids are put off by this. Maybe many parents.
Ask yourself this, "If my son is a gifted wrestler, where would I send him?"
I have three daughters, and only one son. He chose basketball. If he was a gifted wrestler, I think I would have sent him to Penn State, or, another school, given the opportunity.
Observe Cale Sanderson. He is calm, and collected. Listen to his wrestlers talk about the program, and themselves. This speaks a lot.
Iowa needs a serious self-check, to see where they want to be in the future.
As a father, I would never bash these young men, but watching what has happened to the once "all mighty" program, is very hard to take...

I think we have....we will have Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli, Warner, Lugo, Stoll, Murin plus Cassioppi coming in. That's a lot of out of state money. All top 20 guys but you need some help locally. PSU and tOSU have that and can recruit nationally. Look at Michigan as well.
They've always had that advantage, and it didn't matter. I'm referring more to the last 8 years of not sniffing a National Title. We've had the ability to recruit Nationally above and beyond anyone for about 45 years now.

Of course it helps if Iowa High School is better, and for years our lineups were Iowa heavy and National Team Title heavy, but those guys still have to improve once they get to the program and frankly that isn't happening too often these days either.

We've got 1 Big Ten Finalist. Not Champ, Finalist. And he's an Iowan. We've routinely shit the bed in March and we're at it again in the early going. There's nothing that says we can't have multiple guys wrestle out of their asses and make it interesting in a tournament is there?

Reactions: hawkssox1
Are we allowed to dwell on the 4th place standing?
Please do. If you thought anything better than 3rd was a possibility then you are a fool. Dwell on being about where we should be based upon what we have right now.

Reactions: shobart
We all knew this team was going to take and dip Lee RS or not. Iowa will be much better next year.
MUCH better next year?? I'm not seeing that! We don't yet have an answer @ 133. Murin might be better than Turk, but I feel better about Turk recently. Lugo isn't a finalist next year, is he? Young grows and an upgrade over Guns? Hopefully. 184? 197, absolutely. My scenario doesn't scream MUCH.

Going outside the lines for a bit...
What has happened to Iowa Wrestling is a historical phenomenon.
Take a look at the Egyptian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Macedonian, Roman, etc. civilizations. Each great power came to an end.
Iowa wrestling used to be "the powerhouse" of wrestling. Every kid wanted to go to Iowa and wrestle. Since Gable, many of his "disciples" have learned from the master, and spread their knowledge throughout the wrestling footprint.
Now, with more choices in hand, kids are eager to compete for a program which produces champions. I believe the main part of this, are the coaches, themselves.
Not to bash T&T, but the PR, and simply, listening to them makes them seem like "cave men", or "bullies". In this day and age of anti-bullying, many kids are put off by this. Maybe many parents.
Ask yourself this, "If my son is a gifted wrestler, where would I send him?"
I have three daughters, and only one son. He chose basketball. If he was a gifted wrestler, I think I would have sent him to Penn State, or, another school, given the opportunity.
Observe Cale Sanderson. He is calm, and collected. Listen to his wrestlers talk about the program, and themselves. This speaks a lot.
Iowa needs a serious self-check, to see where they want to be in the future.
As a father, I would never bash these young men, but watching what has happened to the once "all mighty" program, is very hard to take...

What's your beef with the Byzantine Empire? You didn't even mention them, and they were around longer than the Assyrians and Macedonians. You have zero credibility.

Are we allowed to dwell on the 4th place standing?
Haven't heard anything other than 1st and 2nd scoring, and I don't want to know how far back we are. Pretty certain Babe Ruth couldn't hit a baseball that far.

What's your beef with the Byzantine Empire? You didn't even mention them, and they were around longer than the Assyrians and Macedonians. You have zero credibility.
Sorry whejoe, did not try to mention each, and every civilization. Was an EXAMPLE, to get the point across.
Zero credibility to you, means nothing to me.

Reactions: Pyeman
MUCH better next year?? I'm not seeing that! We don't yet have an answer @ 133. Murin might be better than Turk, but I feel better about Turk recently. Lugo isn't a finalist next year, is he? Young grows and an upgrade over Guns? Hopefully. 184? 197, absolutely. My scenario doesn't scream MUCH.

Reasons for my optimism:

HWT: Stoll has a legit shot to win the whole thing with Coon and Snyder out of the way
197: Warner is an instant contender
184: I still believe in Wilcke and think he’ll be much better at 84
174: Not a huge upgrade but will be better and I think a top 10 will emerge whether it’s Bowman or a beefed up Young/Gunther
165: Title contender
157: Title contender
149: There will be a slight dip but nothing too dramatic team points wise
141: Turk has shown he can be Top 4 B1G caliber and Murin is probably an upgrade
133: not much to say, it’s a hole unless a 141 can make the cut which is highly doubtful
125: Title contender

That’s the right combination of horses and mid tier guys that can AA and make some serious noise at the national tournament.

Go Hawks!!

I think most people expected/predicted us to be 4th but hoped to overachieve.

We didn’t overachieve and people are bitching.
Are we exempt from overachieving? That seems to be the theme around here these days, we're not favored so how in the hell could we possibly make any noise? We could "surprise" people and challenge for 3rd right? God forbid we'd actually make a run at a tournament title when we're not favored.

We're getting our asses handed to us, again, and apparently we've qualified 9 for Nationals and people are acting like that is some form of "great performance"? Is that what we're hanging our hats on these days, the number of National Qualifiers? Good Lord.

Chief, always keeping me off the ledge. 9 is solid. Remember Jake Taylors speech!

Still think 3-4 finalist.

I just don't get the "I'm so embarrassed" dudes. They are just f*cktards like me sitting in front of their computer or TV, maybe having a cold one and getting steamed at something they have absolutely nothing to do with and probably never participated in at this level. I get it...should have seen me after last session. I thought we would only have six qualifiers coming out of this. I ****ing cleaned my house that's how mad I was much to my wife's shock. But embarrassed? No.

BTW...congrats to Turk (especially), Gunther, Wilcke and Bowman. I honestly thought Wilcke was going to have to get an at large and Bowman wouldn't qualify. A hard group to watch sometimes but they punched their ticket and will at least get some experience.

For Nutzac, I'm guessing three finalists.

Are we exempt from overachieving? That seems to be the theme around here these days, we're not favored so how in the hell could we possibly make any noise? We could "surprise" people and challenge for 3rd right? God forbid we'd actually make a run at a tournament title when we're not favored.

We're getting our asses handed to us, again, and apparently we've qualified 9 for Nationals and people are acting like that is some form of "great performance"? Is that what we're hanging our hats on these days, the number of National Qualifiers? Good Lord.
Yes. Hawkeye wrestling brethren, we have one finalist, and who will highly likely lose. No conference champs this year. Our last two undefeated wrestlers went down. Our most famous wrestler lost to a man he has already beat.
Is it the end of the world? No, but let's just realize and admit . . . it was a baaaaad day for Iowa wrestling.

I do believe we will perform better at nationals.

Yes. Hawkeye wrestling brethren, we have one finalist, and who will highly likely lose. No conference champs this year. Our last two undefeated wrestlers went down. Our most famous wrestler lost to a man he has already beat.
Is it the end of the world? No, but let's just realize and admit . . . it was a baaaaad day for Iowa wrestling.

I do believe we will perform better at nationals.
I agree that we'll do better in two weeks. Sure, it was a disappointing day, but you can also look at it from another perspective considering the context.
  • Alex has dominated two fairly tough guys since the loss to Massa, which easily could have gone his way. He was the aggressor in that match, and the aggressor usually wins out. If he attacks like that the next time he meets Massa, I think he wins. He still has a solid shot at wrestling on Saturday night. And all that kid does is get after it. Any Iowa wrestling fan has to appreciate that.
  • The kid who barely beat Spencer, in a rather controversial match where Spencer was a whisker away from scoring the winning takedown, himself, is a 4x Big Ten champ (I'll assume he rolls in the finals, which he will) and national champ who was very close to beating our World silver medalist in the WTT's last summer. He's no slouch, and you could argue Spencer wrestled a better match this time around, as he got in on his legs much more than the first time. And this RS senior, all-world stud that just squeaked by Spencer had to take neutral -- probably the first time in his college career, if not ever -- against our true freshman. And I like Spencer's chances against him or anyone else in Cleveland.
  • Yes, Kemerer got caught -- by a guy he beats 9 times out of 10. It stinks, it was a bummer, I'm sure he's kicking himself, etc. -- but I'd rather see that in East Lansing than in Cleveland, and if they meet again, Micah has a very slim chance of pulling off anything like that again. Still have a great shot at wrestling Saturday night.
  • Stoll just ran into a buzz saw in a guy who recently beat one of the best pound-for-pound guys in the world, is absolutely huge, is on a roll this season, and is pretty much a lock to wrestle Snyder in the NCAA finals -- and very possibly beat him again. Not much you can do about that but scrap with him and let the chips fall. Highly doubt Coon throws Sam to his back again, but he's just a tough match-up.
  • Sorensen widened the gap on an excellent Deakin and dominated him this time around, opening it up in the 3rd and never allowing a remotely legitimate leg attack.
  • We had several of our less heralded guys show some serious guts in the consolations -- Turk, Gunther, Bowman, and Wilcke all notched wins in a strong consolation round, punching their tickets to Cleveland. All four were at risk of not qualifying but came up big when they needed to do so. Yes, Wilcke was a 3 seed coming in and shouldn't have been in that position, but he still came through when he needed it and is moving on to the big show. And Gunther showed some excellent offense. Couple of beautiful doubles and a perfect ankle pick. Maybe he proved to himself that he has more offense than he thought he did.
  • The Big Ten is so talent-rich that it's almost like Nationals without the first round. The teams that placed ahead of us at Big Tens will very likely end up in the same, or similar, positions at Nationals. In the past, a disappointing finish at Big Tens usually meant a much worse performance at Nationals. Not these days. It's not uncommon for individuals and teams to place worse at Big Tens than at Nationals. I think that happens for us this year for some of our individuals, and if we wrestle well, we could finish ahead of Michigan at Nationals.
Sorry for the novel, but context is important. We're improving and building, the big show is still a couple of weeks away, we'll probably have a strong day today, and we'll be markedly better next year, while other top teams will take a step back next season (mainly thinking of tOSU and Michigan). Looking at the big picture, we're headed in the right direction, no matter how many March warriors declare disaster and demand the return of Gable.

Last edited:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I do agree we are headed in the right direction, although it seems painfully slow at the moment. Good things are coming.

I just don't get the "I'm so embarrassed" dudes. They are just f*cktards like me sitting in front of their computer or TV, maybe having a cold one and getting steamed at something they have absolutely nothing to do with and probably never participated in at this level. I get it...should have seen me after last session. I thought we would only have six qualifiers coming out of this. I ****ing cleaned my house that's how mad I was much to my wife's shock. But embarrassed? No.

BTW...congrats to Turk (especially), Gunther, Wilcke and Bowman. I honestly thought Wilcke was going to have to get an at large and Bowman wouldn't qualify. A hard group to watch sometimes but they punched their ticket and will at least get some experience.

For Nutzac, I'm guessing three finalists.

It’s almost like one has to stay away from the cesspool this time of year. It gets awfule douchey here reall fast with all the bro uncle rico types that show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumberlandHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT