ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

Maybe instead of taking out that $75 million loan, Iowa should take this route instead.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost believes Ohio State can sue Big Ten over football cancellation

By Randy Ludlow
The Columbus Dispatch
Posted at 5:47 PMUpdated at 6:08 PM

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost is ready to recommend that Ohio State University officials file a lawsuit seeking monetary damages from the Big Ten and member schools that voted against playing football this autumn.

A team of state lawyers studying Ohio State’s contracts with the Big Ten believe an “excellent contract claim for several tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue” can be demanded in a lawsuit, Yost told The Dispatch.

Yost, a Republican, said he has not yet discussed the filing of a potential state-court action against the Big Ten and some of its schools with Ohio State officials as conference talks continue on when -- and if -- to play football amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I think we have a cause of action” for violating contracts between the Big Ten and Ohio State and for illegal interference in a business relationship, Yost said.

“If these negotiations (over playing football) fall apart, we will be recommending legal action to our client, Ohio State University,” he said, adding his office believes the Big Ten lacked legal authority to cancel or delay the football season.

Big Ten presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 to not immediately play football due to the coronavirus pandemic, with only Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska voting in favor of playing despite the COVID pandemic.

Yost, an Ohio State journalism graduate, said he has directed his lawyers to “put together a case, so if negotiations break down and the season is canceled, we are prepared to make a presentation to the board (of trustees) and the administration.”

Comment was being sought Wednesday evening from Ohio State University officials, including Athletic director Gene Smith.

A Big Ten decision to begin playing football later would cancel talk of a lawsuit, Yost said, although he expressed doubts about the conference’s legal ability to cancel non-conference games.

Asked about the possibility of pursuing a lawsuit against the Mid-American Conference over its football season cancellation, Yost said that would be examined if member schools express interest.

Ohio public universities Ohio, Toledo, Akron, Bowling Green, Kent State and Miami play football in the MAC. They also play football games against Big Ten opponents and rely on revenue sharing from those games.

Maybe instead of taking out that $75 million loan, Iowa should take this route instead.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost believes Ohio State can sue Big Ten over football cancellation

By Randy Ludlow
The Columbus Dispatch

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost is ready to recommend that Ohio State University officials file a lawsuit seeking monetary damages from the Big Ten and member schools that voted against playing football this autumn.

A team of state lawyers studying Ohio State’s contracts with the Big Ten believe an “excellent contract claim for several tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue” can be demanded in a lawsuit, Yost told The Dispatch.

Yost, a Republican, said he has not yet discussed the filing of a potential state-court action against the Big Ten and some of its schools with Ohio State officials as conference talks continue on when -- and if -- to play football amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I think we have a cause of action” for violating contracts between the Big Ten and Ohio State and for illegal interference in a business relationship, Yost said.

“If these negotiations (over playing football) fall apart, we will be recommending legal action to our client, Ohio State University,” he said, adding his office believes the Big Ten lacked legal authority to cancel or delay the football season.

Big Ten presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 to not immediately play football due to the coronavirus pandemic, with only Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska voting in favor of playing despite the COVID pandemic.

Yost, an Ohio State journalism graduate, said he has directed his lawyers to “put together a case, so if negotiations break down and the season is canceled, we are prepared to make a presentation to the board (of trustees) and the administration.”

Comment was being sought Wednesday evening from Ohio State University officials, including Athletic director Gene Smith.

A Big Ten decision to begin playing football later would cancel talk of a lawsuit, Yost said, although he expressed doubts about the conference’s legal ability to cancel non-conference games.

Asked about the possibility of pursuing a lawsuit against the Mid-American Conference over its football season cancellation, Yost said that would be examined if member schools express interest.

Ohio public universities Ohio, Toledo, Akron, Bowling Green, Kent State and Miami play football in the MAC. They also play football games against Big Ten opponents and rely on revenue sharing from those games.

Iowa's AG is a libtard loon.
He's busy chasing down mail delays...

By Randy Ludlow
The Columbus Dispatch

Trump just won Ohio.
More winning.

I have been quoting Bobby Carpenter in this one thread since last Saturday. He, of course, played for tOSU.

Albert is a Senior NFL Reporter.

Check this out:

I have been quoting Bobby Carpenter in this one thread since last Saturday. He, of course, played for tOSU.

The orig vote was 11-3. We need to flip 6. Which would be the 6?

Or do we need to flip 5?

Check this out:

If the vote doesn't happen by Monday is Bobby right? It's over? And he isn't interested in a "season" that does not have the B1G involved in the CFP.

"bite" = "vote"

Bobby just sunk the yacht.

And he's right.

All 14 ADs want to play

The coaches want to play

The players want to play (those who don't have & will opt out)

Michigan & tOSU coming together, as you can see below. But is it too late?

Jon is one of the radio voices of Michigan football.

Check this out:

Still don't understand why the BIG schools that want to play don't just announce they will be playing as independents this season. Take control of the narrative and force the other schools into a corner on their position.

@MrsScrew, what's your feeling with the RU President? Can his/her mind be changed? Or do you think we will be lucky to even start play by Thanksgiving?

Check this out:

Problem is the president started July 1st......so no one knows anything about him or his mind.

If you are asking if I think Rutgers should play: yes, I do. If you are asking if I think Rutgers will play... jury is still out on this.

NU is doing a good job of putting Warren's feet to the coals to figure out what happened/what's happening and where this is all going.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Problem is the president started July 1st......so no one knows anything about him or his mind.

If you are asking if I think Rutgers should play: yes, I do. If you are asking if I think Rutgers will play... jury is still out on this.

NU is doing a good job of putting Warren's feet to the coals to figure out what happened/what's happening and where this is all going.
Aren't you glad you joined the B1G? ;)

The liberal academic types are flexing their muscle on this one. Gonna put football in its place. The barbaric sport that it is. That Michigan Prez likely wants to put some creases in Harbaugh's damn khakis.

I got an issue with the process and I got an issue with the timing.

I wish KF would speak out like this.

James Franklin's full comments:

Don't have the tweet right now but OSU's Ryan Day unleashed some gems on the Big 10 this afternoon.

EhlJo3WXsAArIG3

ADVERTISEMENT