ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

The problem is the disclosure from the lawsuits. The information is going to come out and according to their own filings will do damage if released. What could possibly be damaging if what they were discussing is medical issues and safety of student athletes as well as fans and staff.

What in that discussion if done in good faith could be damaging to the conference? Seems like an odd defense to disclosure
What everyone already knew the real reason was. Their fear of litigation. Irony is they may be getting sued more for not playing.

Reactions: F5n5
What everyone already knew the real reason was. Their fear of litigation. Irony is they may be getting sued more for not playing.

Or a discussion that should have had zero bearing on their decision. Sort of like the public health director for LA being caught on an open microphone that schools will stay closed in LA until after the election...

Reactions: Win5002 and hawkcub

Its possible an executive decision can come from the white house to block these types of lawsuits. Its already been done for the drug companies I believe as part of operation warp speed.

Reactions: FanOHawk
I’ve been seeing tons of comments like this about Delaney. Did you despise him back then?

My memory is short here (likely because I never gave too much thought to it). But did B1G fans WANT him gone while he was The Commish? Or just think he was a dick? Because I remember having nothing but “Dude is a dick but a powerful dick who gets shit done” respect for the guy. Always seemed to me that he was great for the B1G and instrumental in maintaining the power and influence of the conference, even during that stretch of years when the National narrative was that the B1G was tO$U + a bunch of scrubs and the Buckeyes were getting embarrassed in the NC game every other year. Even then Delaney kept the B1G at the head of the table. Dude was a boss. And yes, we could use him right now.
I did not like him adding Rutgers and Maryland.

Yahoo’s Pete Thamel:

“Sources: The Big Ten presentation by the Return to Competition Task Force has ended successfully today. The full 14 Big Ten Chancellors and Presidents will meet tomorrow are expected to vote on return to play in next 72 hours. Today is the step before the step.”

Good grief these people would take a month to decide what type of toilet paper to use. I wouldn't count on anything happening. The presidents continue to try and run out the clock. I take this as 72 hours for them to come up with another excuse to not play.

October 10th is 100% feasible. Time to get going.
Sounds like Oct 17th a real possibility
i am out of loop. Why is October 10 the date to qualify for playoffs??

The first B1G games have to be by Oct 10, as reported by Dan Patrick and others.

Why is an October 10 start date so important?

First, it gives teams 28 days (4 weeks) from TODAY to prepare.

And, as you can see, there is not much wiggle room (NO bye weeks) to complete the 10 game season & be in the CFP if they start much later.

Oct 10--Game 1
Oct 17
Oct 24
Oct 31
Nov 7
Nov 14
Nov 21
Nov 28
Dec 5
Dec 12--Game 10

Dec 19--B1G Championship Game

If it's the 17th, I doubt we play the full 10 game schedule, but a 9/8 game one instead.

Thats one thing I heard ESPN discussing yesterday.

* How does the CFP Committee judge teams when one team plays 10 games and another 8?

* Does the team that plays 8 get penalized? Should they?

The B1G was coordinating with the PAC12 with the previous two decisions, but if the B1G decides to play a fall season it won't have its traditional Rose Bowl match-up. With the smoke from the wildfires out west, 8 of the PAC12 schools wouldn't be practicing right now regardless of COVID. Even after the smoke literally clears, those same schools would still need their state governors to give the go-ahead. The other four schools don't have to worry about wildfires, but still have COVID concerns. Arizona State just suspended in-person classes and UA may not be far behind.

So what's the rundown of votes look like? Rutgers sounds like a definite 'no'. Same with Michigan, MSU, NW, IL and Maryland? That would be enough to kill an Oct. start, no?

I think it’s going to be very interesting. Still not sure how some of these schools are going to make this work. Wisconsin now online thru at least 9/25 according to Chicago Tribune.
so you’re telling me the messaging to regular student body is going to be, “it’s not safe enough for you to be on campus....but it is safe enough for all the athletes....(now give us those big tuition checks)”?

If I’m a normal student getting charged for in person tuition but they force me online, but say it’s ok for athletes to be on campus? You bet I’m contacting lawyers to explore a lawsuit....

So what's the rundown of votes look like? Rutgers sounds like a definite 'no'. Same with Michigan, MSU, NW, IL and Maryland? That would be enough to kill an Oct. start, no?

I know that Michigan and MSU are both against it but why is that again? Not a snarky question, just seriously wondering without wanting to look on my own :)

I know Rutgers and NW are the least likely to flip. Illinois probably isn't too far behind that.

I still don't understand denying everyone the ability to play. If your school doesn't want to play, don't. You have that right. If 10 schools can play, let them.

Sources: Big Ten revote on when to start football season could take place Sunday

• Adam Rittenberg
  • Heather Dinich
  • September 12, 2020

The Big Ten's council of presidents and chancellors will meet Sunday to review the latest medical information and possibly vote again on when the fall football season can begin, sources told ESPN.

The medical subcommittee of the Big Ten's return to competition task force met Saturday with a smaller group of eight presidents and chancellors, who pushed the process forward for a possible revote as early as Sunday.

Saturday's presentation focused on the medical information, but Sunday's meeting will broaden the focus to include how to start, when to start, and the medical thresholds that must be met in order to return. Specific return dates are expected to be discussed, according to a source.

The Big Ten on Aug. 11 postponed its fall sports season, including football, because of concerns around the coronavirus pandemic.

The initial vote was 11-3 to postpone, with only Nebraska, Ohio State and Iowa electing to push forward with fall sports. Six presidents must change their Aug. 11 vote to exceed the 60% threshold required by Big Ten bylaws.

The medical subcommittee, co-chaired by Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour and Ohio State lead team physician Dr. Jim Borchers, will present the presidents with at least four rapid response antigen tests that could allow Big Ten teams to test daily for the coronavirus and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing. The latest information about myocarditis and its occurrence in athletes who test positive for COVID-19 also is expected to be shared, sources said.

"It's light-years different than it was five weeks ago," a conference source told ESPN on Friday.

The medical subcommittee includes four Big Ten athletic directors -- Michigan's Warde Manuel, Michigan State's Bill Beekman, Minnesota's Mark Coyle and Maryland's Damon Evans -- as well as team doctors and other medical experts from Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Indiana and Maryland.

The committee met Saturday afternoon with presidents or chancellors from Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Rutgers, Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan State.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and the league have received significant backlash since the initial decision to postpone, as coaches, players, parents of players and politicians all have weighed in. President Donald Trump spoke with Warren last week about testing and other areas to get Big Ten football started as soon as possible. But any reversal of the initial vote would be based on updated medical information, sources said. The Big Ten fall season was set to kick off Sept. 3 before the postponement.

If the presidents vote to start the fall football season, the earliest time frame for kickoff would be mid-to-late October. A key factor is how quickly the conference determines a testing agreement and when supplies can be in place. Sources said it's also possible not all Big Ten schools choose to play a fall season.

"Someone's got to be strong and make a decision," a Big Ten source said. "Put a nail in it, put a pin in this thing and let's go."

A Pac-12 source told ESPN on Friday that the league is in communication with the Big Ten, but the Pac-12's timeline remains dependent on several factors, including governmental approval to return to campus in California and Oregon.

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has said he has spoken to Warren with the hopes they could align their return, but conceded it "may or may not work out."

The Pac-12 also postponed its fall sports season Aug. 11.

Reactions: squeezebox
As you can see, Presidents will hear from the following TODAY:

(1) the medical subcommittee of return to competition task force

(2) the subcommittee on scheduling

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez chairs the scheduling group, which includes four coaches (Paul Chryst, Ryan Day, Pat Fitzgerald and James Franklin) and five other ADs.

(3) the subcommittee on TV
Northwestern AD Jim Phillips chairs the TV group, which includes six other ADs.

THE VOTE could follow ... or ... not.

The Latest:

Last edited:
As you can see, Presidents will hear from the following TODAY:

(1) the medical subcommittee of return to competition task force

(2) the subcommittee on scheduling

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez chairs the scheduling group, which includes four coaches (Paul Chryst, Ryan Day, Pat Fitzgerald and James Franklin) and five other ADs.

(3) the subcommittee on TV
Northwestern AD Jim Phillips chairs the TV group, which includes six other ADs.

THE VOTE could follow ... or ... not.

The Latest:

Franisdaman, you really have done an outstanding job at keeping us updated. Many thanks fellow Hawkeye and football fan!

Hell, not just draft-eligible players. I could see guys opting out of a spring season just to save their bodies. These people who legitimately think they can play 22+ games in a 12 month calendar have zero clue of the toll football takes on someone's body.

A rookie in the NFL who makes the Super Bowl could play 22 games in 7 or 8 months (including a few preseason games).

Agree , my source says October 17 the BIG will start. Still eligible for playoffs. Go hawks

I thought we had to start up by the 10th to be playoff eligible.
That was what was originally reported. Today they are throwing out Oct 17

Lets face it. With this pandemic, things change daily.....including re-start dates.

Buckle your seat belts because the ride will most certainly continue to be bumpy.

A rookie in the NFL who makes the Super Bowl could play 22 games in 7 or 8 months (including a few preseason games).
Yes, the NFL. Guys who are paid for their efforts, and have nothing else in their day-to-day lives to worry about other than playing football.

College football players do not have that luxury, nor would they continue getting paid in the case of an injury. A serious injury would wipe out 2 seasons of a college player as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT