ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

So no vote today? Kick it down the road another day.... They should have used that tactic with their decision to cancel!

These decision makers need to continue to have their feet held to the fire over this

If they vote yes I hope they go with the 9+1. If they do 8+1 other conferences having a 10+1 format would complain. Especially a certain conference that always finds a way to manipulate things.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if you think university presidents are controlled by their faculty senates, then you know nothing about universities. If they're controlled by anyone, it would be their boards of regents.
I agree with your comment on the regents and understand the president reports to and is under the control of the regents. I should have made that more clear. ( sorry). My main thrust is a slam on the faculty senate ! Many presidents don’t have the leadership skills to reign in the faculty senate, which most of the time. Many on the Faculty Senate have their own agenda. I understand that and understand their role. I get that. Many of the academia have an agenda contrary to fans and the public wanting to start up the season/ fall sports. That was a point I was trying to make. When you look at all the universities, this isn’t a simple decision. Lots of hurdles , risks, health/ safety, medical and legal implications. i understand the pressures the presidents are under to make this difficult call/ decision. Many governors are in this game also. ( not so much in Iowa, but yes, in NJ/ PA). Their are political and academia agendas being played out in this game . This is especially true in the east coast schools, Illinois and Michigan. I’m hopeful, we can play in the B1G, but I understand, it’s a complex issue. Have a good day.

How is it selfish if the person thinks playing football this season is untenable? You might think a university president holding that view is wrong, but if it is based on what s/he thinks is best for the student-athletes, the university, and beyond, it would be just the opposite of selfish to vote no.
My reason for calling it selfish is that the thought of “I don’t want to play and even if you do, you will not be able to because I said so”!

My reason for calling it selfish is that the thought of “I don’t want to play and even if you do, you will not be able to because I said so”!
We know that all 14 ADs want to play and I don't know of any of the 14 head coaches who don't want to play.

It will be interesting to see if any of the 14 University Presidents prevent a team from playing.

Can you imagine if the B1G votes to restart the season & the Michigan President says "sorry, but Michigan is not playing?"

All 14 teams will play regardless of the vote.

So does that mean that if Rutgers votes not to play they can basically veto everyone else? Or does it mean that even if they vote no, that if the required quorum is met, they are required to play? Or does it mean that all teams have agreed now that if the required quorum is met, that they will play willingly?

This nes just seems to inject another level of difficulty into an already difficult decision.

I guess I just can see teams like Michigan saying well we voted no because while we wanted to play ourselves, we felt forcing others to do so was wrong.

Why make this an all or none thing? What’s the point? Unless it’s is a unity thing and the naysayers have decided that they will move forward out of unity, despite concerns, if the required rest of conference decides to.

So does that mean that if Rutgers votes not to play they can basically veto everyone else? Or does it mean that even if they vote no, that if the required quorum is met, they are required to play? Or does it mean that all teams have agreed now that if the required quorum is met, that they will play willingly?

This nes just seems to inject another level of difficulty into an already difficult decision.

I guess I just can see teams like Michigan saying well we voted no because while we wanted to play ourselves, we felt forcing others to do so was wrong.

Why make this an all or none thing? What’s the point? Unless it’s is a unity thing and the naysayers have decided that they will move forward out of unity, despite concerns, if the required rest of conference decides to.
we need at least 9 "yes" votes to restart. it sounds like they are gonna get more than 9, however

once that vote happens, then all 14 B1G schools will play, regardless of how their President voted. so that is good news for teams like Michigan and their coaches & players

Looks like Michigan State has a new surge, even with all undergrad classes being on-line and minimal students in the residence halls. The football team had an outbreak during the summer and suspended practice. With an MD as university president, I'd be surprised if they change their vote.

I'm glad the B1G will stick together on this, whether or not they play this fall. But, if they do proceed, MSU is going to struggle to maintain a bubble.

It will be interesting to see if the B1G invokes some personnel criteria like the Big 12 (total players available plus minimums at key positions) to determine whether games can be played, or if teams are required to forfeit.

Reactions: Franisdaman
LOL; yeah, its weird. i haven't seen any reports either!!

Come, come, now. I defend all decisions on safety (short and long term). I don’t know the insider stuff. I wouldn’t go to a game if given a free (nice) ticket. Just the first time I’ve talked to someone that seemed to have a good source.

President Holloway put out a video saying we won't play.......hopefully he is willing to eat crow and change his vote. McMurphy has some promising news:

Actually, MrsScrew, President Holloway, said he's not against playing, but specific steps by some schools need to be taken to ensure players are protected. NJ has come a long way from the start of the coronavirus outbreak, and they don't want to return to it. Governor Murphy has cleared HS, college, and Pro sports to play this fall.

Holloway wants better testing and procedures to deal with positive results. Some states have held this virus thing in low regard, and that has put some schools between a rock and a hard place. Holloway doesn'want those states endangering everyone else who's worked hard to get things under control. Also, you know how the local media would react if someone in the rutgers program were to get very sick from the virus or sue the school over this pandemic. Holloway has to cover the school's butt financially from ambulance-chasing lawyers by at least saying he did take the necessary steps to protect the program.

It does appear those concerns have been addressed in recent B1G meetings.

What a bunch of attention seeking ho's.

Should have voted weeks ago or come out and said they were sticking their original decision.

Bylaws and contracts need to change going forward so if this ever happens again politics and agenda's of one school doesn't hold back another.

What a bunch of attention seeking ho's.

Should have voted weeks ago or come out and said they were sticking their original decision.

Bylaws and contracts need to change going forward so if this ever happens again politics and agenda's of one school doesn't hold back another.
and now it appears some feelings have been hurt

Reactions: pmtdc
Another nice column.

Big Ten might vote on restarting football as soon as Monday. Which schools most want to play? Here’s a ranking.

By TEDDY GREENSTEIN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
SEP 13, 2020 AT 6:41 PM

1 Debbie--I’m surprised Scott Frost didn’t join the rally outside Big Ten headquarters and hold up a boom box playing the Nebraska fight song. He did go to Memorial Stadium on what would have been the Cornhuskers’ opener, telling the Omaha World-Herald: “I know this institution was capable of playing football, and I really believe that’s what is best for the young men.” Athletic director Bill Moos is in concert with Frost, telling the Omaha paper that all 14 ADs favored fall football. Nebraska officials said Thursday that they’re on the cusp of being able to conduct rapid COVID-19 tests.

1 Ohio State--The Buckeyes are in championship-or-bust mode, so a late November start is as appealing as a BLT without the bacon. As coach Ryan Day put it in his statement: “We still have an opportunity to give our young men what they have worked so hard for: a chance to safely compete for a national championship this fall.”

3 Iowa--Athletic director Gary Barta dropped a clue regarding his mindset when he said in late May that he would not rule out welcoming a full house to Kinnick Stadium on fall Saturdays. “As long as the virus is here and until a vaccine can be created, there will be risks,” he said. Iowa paused football workouts Aug. 31 after 11 players reportedly tested positive, but the Hawkeyes are back at it.

4 Penn State--President Eric Barron released a generic statement supporting the Big Ten’s Aug. 11 announcement to delay fall sports but has been quiet since. Athletic director Sandy Barbour questioned whether a vote even took place, and coach James Franklin has been vocal in lobbying for football — or at least transparency from the commissioner’s office.

5 Purdue
6 IU
7 Illinois
8 N'western

9 Wisconsin--The Badgers might want to play but not for a while. Athletic director Barry Alvarez said Friday on his monthly radio show that Big Ten presidents and chancellors will not approve football until “they feel comfortable that the medical questions … are answered. It’s not some magical date or who does the best lobbying.” Alvarez, who chairs the Big Ten’s Return to Play task force, on Wednesday announced that the football and men’s hockey teams were taking a two-week break from all team activities because of COVID-19 protocols.

10 Michigan--The ultimate clash of science versus football and academia versus athletics is taking place in Ann Arbor, Mich. Unless President Mark Schlissel, a renowned antibodies expert, gets unseated — and fast — he’s expected to win the power struggle with coach Jim Harbaugh. One additional amusing theory making the Big Ten rounds: However Ohio State votes, Michigan will do the opposite.

11 Michigan State
12 Maryland

13 Minnesota--Coach P.J. Fleck said that after the Aug. 11 decision was made, he sought the opinion of his Gophers. “Every player has said the Big Ten made the right decision,” he said. If the garrulous Fleck had done a 180 by now, we probably would have heard about it. Plus the Gophers are in a pro-science state.

14 Rutgers--Last, as usual. Or, for those who believe playing football during a pandemic is foolish, the Scarlet Knights are first. President Jonathan Holloway came out strong in an NJ Advance Media story, saying the conference should wait until it can “learn about the science, different kinds of tests and potential vaccines.” And he called President Donald Trump’s involvement in the Big Ten “cheap politics.” @MrsScrew !!!

The Full Column:

Another nice column.

Big Ten might vote on restarting football as soon as Monday. Which schools most want to play? Here’s a ranking.

By TEDDY GREENSTEIN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
SEP 13, 2020 AT 6:41 PM

1 Debbie--I’m surprised Scott Frost didn’t join the rally outside Big Ten headquarters and hold up a boom box playing the Nebraska fight song. He did go to Memorial Stadium on what would have been the Cornhuskers’ opener, telling the Omaha World-Herald: “I know this institution was capable of playing football, and I really believe that’s what is best for the young men.” Athletic director Bill Moos is in concert with Frost, telling the Omaha paper that all 14 ADs favored fall football. Nebraska officials said Thursday that they’re on the cusp of being able to conduct rapid COVID-19 tests.

1 Ohio State--The Buckeyes are in championship-or-bust mode, so a late November start is as appealing as a BLT without the bacon. As coach Ryan Day put it in his statement: “We still have an opportunity to give our young men what they have worked so hard for: a chance to safely compete for a national championship this fall.”

3 Iowa--Athletic director Gary Barta dropped a clue regarding his mindset when he said in late May that he would not rule out welcoming a full house to Kinnick Stadium on fall Saturdays. “As long as the virus is here and until a vaccine can be created, there will be risks,” he said. Iowa paused football workouts Aug. 31 after 11 players reportedly tested positive, but the Hawkeyes are back at it.

4 Penn State--President Eric Barron released a generic statement supporting the Big Ten’s Aug. 11 announcement to delay fall sports but has been quiet since. Athletic director Sandy Barbour questioned whether a vote even took place, and coach James Franklin has been vocal in lobbying for football — or at least transparency from the commissioner’s office.

5 Purdue
6 IU
7 Illinois
8 N'western

9 Wisconsin--The Badgers might want to play but not for a while. Athletic director Barry Alvarez said Friday on his monthly radio show that Big Ten presidents and chancellors will not approve football until “they feel comfortable that the medical questions … are answered. It’s not some magical date or who does the best lobbying.” Alvarez, who chairs the Big Ten’s Return to Play task force, on Wednesday announced that the football and men’s hockey teams were taking a two-week break from all team activities because of COVID-19 protocols.

10 Michigan--The ultimate clash of science versus football and academia versus athletics is taking place in Ann Arbor, Mich. Unless President Mark Schlissel, a renowned antibodies expert, gets unseated — and fast — he’s expected to win the power struggle with coach Jim Harbaugh. One additional amusing theory making the Big Ten rounds: However Ohio State votes, Michigan will do the opposite.

11 Michigan State
12 Maryland

13 Minnesota--Coach P.J. Fleck said that after the Aug. 11 decision was made, he sought the opinion of his Gophers. “Every player has said the Big Ten made the right decision,” he said. If the garrulous Fleck had done a 180 by now, we probably would have heard about it. Plus the Gophers are in a pro-science state.

14 Rutgers--Last, as usual. Or, for those who believe playing football during a pandemic is foolish, the Scarlet Knights are first. President Jonathan Holloway came out strong in an NJ Advance Media story, saying the conference should wait until it can “learn about the science, different kinds of tests and potential vaccines.” And he called President Donald Trump’s involvement in the Big Ten “cheap politics.” @MrsScrew !!!

The Full Column:

1. the fact that he mentioned Trump at all he made it political
2. Speaking of politics, he played football with NJ Senator Cory Booker at Sanford
3. In reading this thread and the multiple threads on the RU boards it seems to me that no one has a clue as to what the votes will be, how many are really needed and who will actually play. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is blowing smoke out of their butts trying to guess.

1. the fact that he mentioned Trump at all he made it political
2. Speaking of politics, he played football with NJ Senator Cory Booker at Sanford
3. In reading this thread and the multiple threads on the RU boards it seems to me that no one has a clue as to what the votes will be, how many are really needed and who will actually play. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is blowing smoke out of their butts trying to guess.

People make everything political nowadays. If Krispy Kreme stopped selling donuts people here would think it was either a liberal conspiracy or Trump's fault.

This source has been an interesting read on the Twitterverse as well! Fran, thanks for the threads, I started a few last week but was duplicating your thread and links so will post them here. As far as good Twitter accounts to reference in the midst of all this: Dan Patrick, Bobby Carpenter (excellent, btw!), Sean Callahan, Teddy Greenstein, Heather Dinich (sp?), Pete Thamel, Tom Deinhart.

Ohio Atty 14 has really dug into the bylaws, revenue sharing and FOIA requests!

ADVERTISEMENT